TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Doctors RARELY Discuss Stress Management Strategy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Zafirides

189 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  19:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I thought you might enjoy my most recent post:

http://www.thehealthymind.com/2012/11/19/stress-management-discussions-are-rare-in-primare-care-setting/

This is the battle we face with TMS/PPD. Only 3% of all primary care doctors do ANY stress management counseling. It is a sorry state of affairs, especially when nearly 70% of all primary care visits may be due to the effects of stress - especially chronic pain!

It may be a challenge, but there is great opportunity for all of us to get the message of TMS/PPD out. We can AND WILL make a difference in changing the understanding of where chronic pain is coming from.

I hope you enjoy the article and find it worthwhile.

Kindly,
Dr. Zafirides

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  06:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the article Dr. Z! I've done my bit to spread the word, I brought a copy of Sarno on my first visit with my new primary care doctor after mine retired. I showed it to him and offered to let him borrow it. His response was a polite thank you, but no interest and he is quite a "hip" new agey doc practicing in Southern Marin.

I see his nurse practitioner for routine stuff like when I get the tip of an inferior brand of ear-swab stuck in my ear or need an RX for jock itch. I proselytized TMS to her and she was receptive--but naturally her time is worth a lot less money.

With the upcoming yet to be discovered unforeseen consequences, of the newly hatched-up "national health plan", it will be interesting to see where our collective healths will be heading. Perhaps there should be a charitable group formed like the Gideons, to distribute free copies of Sarno, scattering them in the health factory waiting rooms, alongside the PEOPLE and STAR magazines. Personally, I foresee longer waits and increasing inferiority in the future of medicine, as our most intelligent minds abandon altruism and choose not to pursue medicine as a career due to the increased stress and go into more lucrative careers like real estate.

Just my 2 cents as they used to say.

Edited by - tennis tom on 11/21/2012 06:28:43
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  07:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar experience with my primary care doctor, who also is relatively young and "hip." I told him I was becoming increasingly convinced that my neck pain has an emotional/psychogenic origin, and he gave me a blank stare and recommended that I see yet another physiatrist he liked. I sent him some links to basic information about TMS, but I somehow doubt he read them.

Medicine seems to be going in the wrong direction. It seems you can't go to the doctor without coming away with a neat diagnostic code and a matching prescription. Doctors want to medicalize and medicate everything. This is particularly true, in my opinion and no offense intended to anyone, in the areas of anxiety and depression. Pharma and doctors have created false "chemical imbalances" to explain complex psychological phemomena that are better treated with psychological interventions.

Edited by - pspa123 on 11/21/2012 07:23:11
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  08:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pspa123

... I told him I was becoming increasingly convinced that my neck pain has an emotional/psychogenic origin, and he gave me a blank stare and recommended that I see yet another physiatrist he liked.

I'll go you one better, I was seeing a psychiatrist for TMS/"clinical" depression and he recommended a physiatrist for my hip--at least he didn't recommend a surgeon for a hip-replacement. Out of the numerous modalities from A to Z that I haven't tried is a physiatrist--I've wondered about them and thought of seeing one someday just for grins, at least they don't cut you, I don't think.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  08:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom you are right they don't cut you. Interestingly, it was a physiatrist -- Dr. Eugenio Martinez in Boston -- who first introduced me to TMS. As is probably typical I was skeptical and even a bit resentful at the time -- I wanted "real" treatment -- but it turns out he almost certainly was right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000