TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Allergies, TMS's revenge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  18:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I have pretty good luck with most TMS symptoms, but allergies have me stymied. Perhaps because it's so multi-symptomed I feel I'm under siege. For me it's mostly spring tree pollen and some grasses.

What experiences do others in this community have with Sarnos' method in treating allergies? I would love some advice or support. I'm even open to hearing about things that don't work!

post edit.

I don't know if Louise Hay is the source of something I read many years ago. Some of her ideas sound like a list that was presented to me. Allergies may be a symptom of taking too much stock in the calender?! I expect to get allergies so I get them at the prescibed time of year. Spring is a time of anxiety for me. I get wound up and nervous. There are several reasons for this that easily come to mind.

Do people have any feelings on TMS inceasing in a post 9/11 world? I find the current socio/political reality to be extremely anxiety ridden. Is it worth searching out this topic.
I don't know if this counts for buried psychological trauma but it seems to me that everyday fears and concerns that aren't expressed can contribut to TMS. All sides of the socio/political spectrum must be feeling distress.

Edited by - Kristin on 03/07/2005 12:03:36

Lou

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  18:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1st TMS experience (although I was unaware) was with allergies. I got a an attack of anaphalitic (sp) shock while mowing the lawn. I broke out in hives and had to go to the hospital. They wrote it off as a bee sting although we could not find the bite location.

From that day on I would break out in hives whenever I broke a sweat. I went to the top allergists and immunologists in the NYc area. I ended up on steriods and antihistamines for a few years. Eventually, the medicine controlled the hives and what a surprise I started having back pain. When I finally found my way to Dr. Sarno's office. He directed me to stop taking my daily dose of antihistamines and forget about the hives. Its been almost 3 years and no hives! I am still battling other TMS pains, but I do not even give the hives a 2nd thought. As I learned about TMS, I was able to see that I was under a lot of stress at the time I broke out with the hives including a bad breakup where I had to get a court order against a my former girlfriend. I even moved out of my house for several weeks to avoid the stalker issue. At the time I was oblivious to the incredible stress this was creating. I was in my early 20's and thought myself to be bulletproof.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  18:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel allergies can definitely be TMS related. I used to get hayfever, I no longer do. Like Lou, my TMS back pain also started with a traumatic relationship break-up. It has left me very leery of involvments. It's easy to get in, it can be difficult to get out.
If the opportunity for a casual encounter arises, I think of that Clint Eastwood movie, "Play Misty for Me", or more currently, the movie "Sideways".
Go to Top of Page

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  21:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou, Sarno said simply, "forget about the hives"? That did it? Or something to that effect worked?
Go to Top of Page

Lou

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  23:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the time I found him, the medicine was holding the hives back (in theory) In reality the hives were long gone as the back/leg pain had taken over. He simply opened my eyes to these facts and it became apparent. And the next day for the 1st time in 5 years I didn't take any antihistamines... And it was in May! As the heat would be my nemisis... And as simple as that, I never looked back. The transference of TMS symptons to my back, legs & feet are issues I am still fighting with success. Not total, but alot...

PS: as a kid, they(docs) told me I was allergic to dogs & dust according to those stupid rash tests. I never even had a dog, and who isn't allergic to dust? anyway, I ended up taking allergy shots from ages 13-17 until I got to college and told my mom it was stupid and "I'm not going anymore" The silliest part of this is that when I was around other people's dogs. They never bothered me? I doubt the shots were the reason... Lots and lots of money wasted. But I was a kid and who knew...

The allergy sector of medicine is just as big a business as back surgery/back care. When I had the hives, I spent tons of cash on co-pays, meds, and allergy products like bed sheets, carpet sprays, etc. Just like people spending money on back related crap...
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  05:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kristin.

Louise Hay says regarding allergies:Who are you allergic to ? Denying your own power.

I believe it is colds that she connects with belief in the calendar...e.g. "I get three colds every year" or " every Christmas I get sick".

I have never had bad allergies,just mild symptoms and the rare attack,but I do remember Sarno devoting a piece of the book to the topic.Something about the autonomic nervous system regulating that same system....and that they are clearly a TMS equivalent.

My wife just got on a plane this AM,and YES...in a post 9/11 world we are definitely in a heightened state of anxiety.I think it has subsided somewhat now that I no longer live in a large metropolitan area,but when my wife said she was flying to Texas for the day,I felt that old fear kickin' around in there.

It was NOT helped by the fact that my best friend recently forgot his matte knife(razor knife ala 9/11) in the mesh pocket of his back pack and went right through airport security with it clearly exposed!!...he said that by the time he realized his error,it was too late and he did not want to make a scene,or hold up his flight any further(they were delayed 2 hours on the ground).

You could start a whole new string just on that topic!!

peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  09:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristen,

I have often thought about the 9/11 connection and an increase in TMS symptoms. My first experience with the dizziness happened during a trip to Montreal (I was on six difference planes, a dinner cruise, and a train trip to Quebec). The dizzy, imbalanced feeling lasted three weeks. The doctors told me I had labrynthitis and it would be gone within three weeks. It was and I thought they were amazing for predicting this! The second dizziness episode started just after 9/11. I had flown to Texas just weeks before 9/11 and had no problems. Then, about six or seven months after 9/11 I flew to Cancun and that's when the next dizzy episode started (which has lasted for nearly 3 years). It's finally going away since I now recognize it for what it is. But I have often thought "Isn't it convenient that I CAN'T fly because of the vertigo." This way, I avoid getting on an airplane and remain safely on the ground!

I read something once about where these scientists studied people with allergies and found that if they took a silk rose and put them before the allergy sufferer they still sneezed because it is a learned response. I think it makes a lot of sense that it would be TMS. I suffer from allergy eye symptoms from time to time and I KNOW it's TMS.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Ginag

51 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  17:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For years and years, I suffered with seasonal allergies which always developed into throat infections, earaches, and months of headaches and discomfort. After going to an allergist and being told I was allergic to almost everything i breathed, I started going allergy shots 2 times a week. After about 10 or 12 weeks, I can down with the worst case of sinus infection and my regular GP advised me to discontinue the shorts. They certainly weren't helping at tht point. Several years later, I developed dizziness and found Dr. Sarno. From that point on, I never suffered from allergies again.
I fully accepted the fact that allergies were another form of TMS for me and abbracadabra - the allergies were gone. If only my dizzies would disappear too!!!!
Gina
Go to Top of Page

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  23:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dizziness does seem to be a tricky one to deal with. I've had some vertigo. It hasn't bothered me since I realized that it and Taychardia (sp) were TMS equivilents. I had both for enough time to cause concern. Some symptoms seem trickier to let go of.

Sarno wrote something interesting in HBP. He could get allergic symptoms when walking into a house where he didn't know a cat lived but as soon as he saw the cat he could make the symptoms go away when he discovered the source. In this instance he didn't make a case for the emotional or psychological ties he made as he did when he discovered the anger/rage associated with his migranes.

The body/immune system is trained to react a certain way to "cat" and in this case it takes the mind to say "oh, it's only cat" I don't need this reaction. The reaction goes away!

Baseball65: Thanks for the Louise Hay reference. I can think of a couple of people who I might be allergic to and situations where I am not embracing my own power now.

Lou: I see why the medical profession is threatened by these kind of theories. So much could be said about this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000