TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Recommendation from Amazon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  15:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just checked my email in-box and Amazon.com have sent me a recommendation for The Mindbody Prescription. Most of my purchases, including Dr Sarno's books come from Amazon.co.uk, but they didn't sell Dr Schecter's The Mindbody Workbook, so I had it sent over from the US last year. They say that is why they made that recommendation.

Have any of you read the reviews of The Mindbody Prescription on Amazon? If anyone is bothered by doubts about TMS, they are well worth a read.

Has anyone actually reviewed it for Amazon? I think I'm going to do so on Amazon.co.uk - there are not so many good reviews on the British site.

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  07:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not recommend against buying any of Dr. Sarno's three books. Personnaly, I prefer his first book, Mind Over Back Pain. His second book, Healing Back Pain, is excellent but not as simple and straightforward as his first.

The Mindbody Prescription is his third book. I was somewhat disappointed in it and, I believe, that it does not improve on his second one. The last half of TMP is mostly about Freud and the unconscious and did not appeal to me. However, what is a few dollars to complete the series. If you do order it, I recommend that you order the first one also.

I also highly recommend "Back Sense."

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

Rudy

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  08:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Allan. Sarno's third book is a litttle disappointing. Healing Back Pain is a must. Have never read Mind over Back Pain.

Also recommend Fred Amir's book and have today finished reading Back Sense. Both books take Sarno's theory into practice and offer some worthwhile tips. I also read Marc Sophers book which to me simply replicates Sarno's books, and little else.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  02:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Rudy and Allan, my post was unclear - I have all three books. I bought them from the British Amazon some time ago and am very familiar with all three. I have to say that I found The Mindbody Prescription to be the most helpful, probably because I needed to explore the causes of my pain - I know that many paople don't need to do this, but I did.

What I meant to say was that the reviews on Amazon.com are well worth reading, especially for anyone who is going through a period of doubt at the moment.

Best wishes

Anne
Go to Top of Page

robbokop

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  07:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't reviewed Dr. Sarno's books on Amazon but have been tempted to put reviews for RSI books(stretch programs etc) to tell people to buy MBP and consider that instead of treating the symptoms! I did an RSI stretch program when I first had symptoms and before discovered MBP and all it did was increase the fear cycle. The principle in the book was that your arms have only so much they can do before resting, like a bank account. This makes you consider how much stuff you can do in a day - you get so scared of lifting a cup for too long in case you go overdrawn! Ridiculous - I could play piano for 10 hours a day now without any tiredness if I had time!
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  11:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea, Robbokop, you should do that. Amazon seem to be pretty liberal in what they allow on their reviews - some are very critical - which is good.

The fear factor is so very destructive and a huge part of so many books and schemes, so anything that can be done to counteract it is worthwhile, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000