TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Stop Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All1Spirit

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  14:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought to consider is the fallacy of the Sarno paradigm of low oxygen to the muscles ( hypoxia) causing pain, there is another reason for pain. Improper breathing blowing off carbon dioxide.

Proper Diaphragm breathing: Inhale through the nose into the diaphragm for a count of 6 – hold for a count of 7 to 9 and breathe out for a count of 8. Should be about 6 to 10 cycles per minute.

To increase oxygen to your cells you increase carbon dioxide through breath slowing and deepening. C02 increases dilation of the blood vessels allowing more oxygen into the cells.

The reason people get strange sensations with hyperventilation is that it blows off carbon dioxide which constricts the blood vessels and low C02 causes every nerve cell to become hyperactive....read anxious. And low C02 cause the body to go into a stress response and tighten muscles.

In reality it is not the lack of oxygen that causes muscle pain but the autonomic activation that also tends to cause rapid breathing which lowers carbon dioxide which excites the neurons to more tension. CO2 is a neuron tranquilizer in proper amounts.

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  15:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an aside to this and not wanting to move totally away for the TMS theory but chronic over breathing and hyper ventilation is unbelievably widespread amongst anxiety sufferers and this contributes to a whole gamut of weird and wonderful physical symptoms.

The tricky thing is that over breathing is a real sly and insidious process and it really does sneak up on you and then quickly becomes a chronic condition...because breathing is an automatic process once that process becomes hijacked it can be incredibly difficult to correct and restore.

Making sure that you are breathing correctly really is the first stop when you experience physical anxiety symptoms.

Wake me up with your amphetamine blast
Take me by the collar and throw me out into the world
Rock me gently & send me dreaming of something tender
I was brought here to pay homage to the beat surrender

Go to Top of Page

Sam908

70 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  16:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a poster doesn't "buy into" Dr. Sarno's TMS theories, he/she shouldn't be on this forum. All1Spirit, why don't you take your curious opinions somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  17:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am an Engineer. When we design, we use models. Models are never exact but good enough to do the job. You use different models if you want to design an antenna versus a computer.
I see Sarno the same way. It is a simplified model that is easy to understand and gives you enough information to get the job done.
I am not particularly troubled if ischemia is not the exact mechanism.
Go to Top of Page

All1Spirit

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  18:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Sam you are not mature enough to engage in a discussion or allow other people an opinion

I see other posters here that question parts of his system
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  21:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Sarno and Ozanich TMS pain is delivered via the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system controls the constriction/dilation of blood vessels and it can cause muscles to contract. If a group of muscles along the spine contract while blood flow to those muscles is reduced pain results particularly if those muscles are then voluntarily constricted.
The etiology of TMS is a work in progress. Most people on this forum have seen evidence that treatment protocols of Sarno, Ozanich, Ace1, etc. are efficacious. If All1Spirit is a real person then I suspect that he is unable to accept this understanding of TMS because he didn't discover it himself.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  05:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes discussing tms is like discussing about religion. People are so easy being offended.

I think we need to keep an open mind so new ideas, new theory, new thoughts can be present and we can advance our understanding of this horrible disease. I'm sure doctor Sarno don't need anyone to defend him. He is more than capable to defending himself. And as a men of science, He probably very open to hear other's opinions. He did make changes to his theory and in his books over the year. His theroy is not set in stone yet, he acknowledge.

Without an open mind, we probably still think the earth is flat.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000