TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 journalling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joan

34 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  10:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When journalling and the same thoughts come up..What do you continue to write about..I would appreciate anyones thoughts!

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  10:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joan,

Welcome to this forum and thanks for your question. There are a variety of opinions on journaling which you will find on this discussion forum. Not everyone, including myself, sees the value of journaling as a means to recovery, but perhaps you will find it the exercise useful.

What is it specifically you desire to achieve when you journal? I suspect you are concentrating on past events, current stressors and your personality traits as a means to uncover buried emotional issues which may be contributing to your pain. Am I right?
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  05:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joan,

It depends.
Have you truly explored these recurring themes and experiences? Or are you skating over the surface? It's incredibly easy 'not to go there' but in shunning the heat and source of your pain you can tend to go in circles, covering the same ground.

You may need to try what I call extreme journaling which is a total no-holds-barred approach. Nicole Sachs talks about this in her book. She does visit the forum so directing questions her way is an option.

However it may be the case that journaling is not working for you for one reason or another.

Last week I had the pleasure of chatting with Dr. Howard Schubiner on the phone. Are you familar with his book? (Unlearn Your Pain).
I specifically asked him about journaling and it's efficacy and he said if you've done it and it's not worked or is not working then put it aside. He stated quite clearly that to carry on is tantamount to wallowing and as such is not productive.

He suggested istdp (intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy) and kindly forwarded me the details of a practitioner in my area.

Horses for courses my love.
Different things work for different folks and if journaling isn't hitting the spot then don't worry because there are many other ways.

Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  07:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joan, an approach I've used is more about the FEELINGS (as opposed to THOUGHTS) ... so, state the facts first, and then as you start to feel your feelings around an issue ... I feel angry that ... I feel sad that ... I feel afraid that ... I feel guilty / regret / sorry that ... And then once you have expressed your feelings around a topic, you could journal a "response letter" back ... I'm sorry that ... I understand that ... etc ... This method is called The Love Letter Technique by John Gray (yes of Mars and Venus books fame. He describes it in detail in some of his books.)

Also .. in terms of topics to write about, Dr Scott Brady has a long list of helpful "starters" in his book, Pain Free for Life.

RSR

PS .. Plum, thanks for your post on this ... very interesting!

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 02/21/2013 07:28:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000