TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Ace of the Day - Day 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  03:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2. Try to just act as normal but at ease (not fear) as much as possible with the least concern to your symptoms that you can.

Edited by - plum on 01/23/2013 03:30:51

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  05:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say, I find this challenging, particularly around things I'm aware are triggers. I'm also feeling spectacularly irritated by life in general. Ease feels far away. That's todays weather report.
Go to Top of Page

Racer

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I must say, I find this challenging, particularly around things I'm aware are triggers. I'm also feeling spectacularly irritated by life in general. Ease feels far away. That's todays weather report.

If you start believing the pain is "benign", that can help you giving least concern/attention to your symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be helpful to reflect on why ACE1 included this item on the list and why he felt it is important to recovery. I feel that if one is limping around, wincing and whining at every move and constantly complaining about their suffering that it makes the pain even worse. It also sends a strong message to your brain that something is wrong and thus it is important to be careful for fear of hurting yourself. So acting naturally, as if nothing is wrong, is one way to combat this kind of thinking. Yes, it is difficult at first but it is totally possible.
Go to Top of Page

Cath

116 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only time I feel "at ease" is very early morning. The rest of the day is a challenge, and that's aided by 2,400 mgs of Neurontin (which I know I should be aiming to reduce, but taking any less makes me feel even more "uneasy"). I'm hoping for a miracle - that my pain will reduce, so I can titrate down on the meds, but I fear it works the other way around, and I have to come off the meds altogether before I see any results with the TMS work. I know taking my meds is a strong message to the subconscious that there is something physically wrong with me, but life without them is just unbearable. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

"Benign" is a very powerful word for me, and I try to think about it as much as I can.

Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, can I ask what affirmations you have used/ use and what kind of things you say to yourself when the negative self-talk kicks in?

I agree completely with your thoughts on the feedback loop and I am mindful of this.

(was feeling lousy when I posted this morning. Had an early start and I'm a Night Owl.)
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cath,

Similar story here. I've had tms in my achilles and back before and it didn't freak me out like tmj does, nor did it hurt so relentlessly. I appreciate all the theory on why this is so but like you I feel stuck between the devil and the deep. Really do appreciate any and all thoughts people have.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to piggyback on this post, this does not mean challenging. So for example, you go about your business, but you get pain going to work. You just act normal and do NOTHING about the pain. On the way to work a pen drops on the floor, you know that your back is oxygen deprivied and you know that bending will hurt your back more. You know there is nothing wrong, its just a temporary state that the muscle is in because of the conditioned event of going to work. You will very gently and slowly bend down to get the pain without straining more into the pain. You know had this happened any other time the bending would not have been an issue, so your smart enough to know this is this way because of the conditioned situation that has to be broken first for your muscle to be fully functional. If you were to strain more and say Im not going to let this beat me, you have lost the reason the muscle is the way it is now and therefore there will be no steps to correct that conditioning. Actually the challenging will say to the mind danger, and will then make it associated it more with the trip to work. With continued work on the keys, the O2 deprivation will be less and less and the amount of gentleness required to bend will be less. Ease and gentleness is different than fear. Being easy on a body part at first is not fear is just being smart and knowing later when your muscle is fully functional you will be able to do everything. Trust me when you have no o2 deprivation, bending will not even be an issue for you to even think about, and therefore you can just act "normal"
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please, if you can, read pages 119 to 123 of The Power of Now at: http://www.mindwell.be/ebooks/thepowerofnow.pdf

Read the section "Using And Relinquishing Negativity."
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  08:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more point try not to have too many affirmations at one time. John Kehoe also says this in his book. If its focused to lets say 3 or less, you repeat them more often and they take hold faster and stronger
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  08:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see the pain or anxiety has been a huge issue
the entire time you have had to deal with it-
you have feared it-you have had constant thought
on the pain for so long that your main focus is
to go right where the pain is as soon as you wake-
and on top of that if you do this long enough
then it becomes sub-conscious and then its just there.
but if we start by doing aces number 2 key to healing.
eventually we will break the sub-conscious cycle and
then learn to break the conscious cycle of this
negative awareness of the pain, anxiety or any issue really.

Edited by - eric watson on 01/23/2013 08:40:51
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  08:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1, you've clarified something for me. While the pain is physiological (as opposed to pathological), it is still *real* and gentleness makes so much sense over a cavalier approach. For me at least, others may fare better with gung-ho. I'll also pay heed to your thoughts on affirmations. Not read Kehoe, not yet anyway but as an inveterate reader it's only a matter of time (quit smirking.)

Shawn, one of those affirmations has proven itself quite the earworm so I have adopted it with ease. Thanks for that and for the link. I've not read Tolle in years but remember the well the stillness of his words.

Eric, I love these words on the subconscious. They resonate well for me, especially with your earlier post. I feel much cheered.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  09:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cath,

Musing on triggers and tmj, when you say you are most at ease in the morning is this because you've not eaten or brushed your teeth? These are my two biggies.
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  12:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I am doing much better on Ace's 2nd item in his keys to healing. I really try to just act completely normal when I become aware of pain. I have learned not to challenge it, that can get you into an argument with yourself that can lead to suicidal thoughts. I find it harder to not try to analyze it, but doing better with this than before.

I have had very little pain since January 1st. This morning I woke up with what felt like muscle pain in the area of my hips. It came and went during my morning walk/hike and during my afternoon water aerobics. I am starting to notice something. Often, a day before I have pain, I have the sensation of the muscles in my lower back, buttocks and hips tightening. It just feels like I need to stretch them. It really feels like oxygen is leaving them. Often when this happens, I have no pain at night, but if I sleep well, will experience muscle pain in the morning. All day, I have been using calming affirmations like "the pain is benign" "all is as it should be", etc.
I don't know what sets off this muscle tightening and why the pain is delayed or even if they are related.
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  13:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's only Ace day 2, but for me... this may be the most important of all keys to healing.
I think it's the most important for many of us.

Great to see this being discussed. Thanks again, Plum and of course Ace!
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  13:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chickenbone, I'm not entirely sure how to quantify it but I also have an awareness of sorts before the pain gets bad, and that need...no desire to stretch, which if I follow, always ramps pain.

How are sleeping?
Did you use your tarot? I adore them.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  13:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan, my pleasure and thankyou.
It's such a powerful key and I totally agree, it maybe the most important of all. I think eric's point regarding the subconscious is vital in this regard, and he posted something earlier that really made me think.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  13:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another passage from Ekhart Tolle which may be of help:

If someone is seriously ill and completely accepts their condition and surrenders to the illness, would they not have given up their will to get back to health? The determination to fight the illness would not be there any more, would it?

Surrender is inner acceptance of what is without any reservations. We are talking about your life - this instant - not the conditions or circumstances of your life, notwhat I call your life situation. We have spoken about this already.

With regard to illness, this is what it means. Illness is part of your life situation. As such, it has a past and a future. Past and future form an uninterrupted continuum, unless the redeeming power of the Now is activated through your conscious presence. As you know, underneath the various conditions that make up your life situation, which exists in time, there is something deeper, more essential: your Life, your very Being in the timeless Now.

As there are no problems in the Now, there is no illness either. The belief in a label that someone attaches to your condition keeps the condition in place, empowers it, and makes a seemingly solid reality out of a temporary imbalance. It gives it not only reality and solidity but also a continuity in time that it did not have before. By focusing on this instant and refraining from labeling it mentally, illness is reduced to one or several of these factors: physical pain, weakness, discomfort, or disability. That is what you surrender to - now. You do not surrender to the idea of "illness." Allow the suffering to force you into the present moment, into a state of intense conscious presence. Use it for enlightenment.

Surrender does not transform what is, at least not directly. Surrender transforms you. When you are transformed, your whole world is transformed, because the world is only a reflection. We spoke about this earlier.

If you looked in the mirror and did not like what you saw, you would have to be mad to attack the image in the mirror. That is precisely what you do when you are in a state of nonacceptance. And, of course, if you attack the image, it attacks you back. If you accept the image, no matter what it is, if you become friendly toward it, it cannot not become friendly toward you. This is how you change the world.

Illness is not the problem. You are the problem - as long as the egoic mind is in control. When you are ill or disabled, do not feel that you have failed in some way, do not feel guilty. Do not blame life for treating you unfairly, but do not blame yourself either. All that is resistance. If you have a major illness, use it for enlightenment.

Anything "bad" that happens in your life - use it for enlightenment. Withdraw time from the illness. Do not give it any past or future. Let it force you into intense present-moment awareness - and see what happens.

Become an alchemist. Transmute base metal into gold, suffering into consciousness, disaster into enlightenment.

Are you seriously ill and feeling angry now about what I have just said? Then that is a clear sign that the illness has become part of your sense of self and that you are now protecting your identity - as well as protecting the illness. The condition that is labeled "illness" has nothing to do with who you truly are.

When Disaster Strikes

As far as the still unconscious majority of the population is concerned, only a critical limit-situation has the potential to crack the hard shell of the ego and force them into surrender and so into the awakened state. A limit-situation arises when through some disaster, drastic upheaval, deep loss, or suffering your whole world is shattered and doesn't make sense anymore. It is an encounter with death, be it physical or psychological. The egoic mind, the creator of this world, collapses. Out of the ashes of the old world, a new world can then come into being.

There is no guarantee, of course, that even a limit-situation will do it, but the potential is always there. Some people's resistance to what is even intensifies in such a situation, and so it becomes a descent into hell. In others, there may only be partial surrender, but even that will give them a certain depth and serenity that were not there before. Parts of the ego shell break off, and this allows small amounts of the radiance and peace that lie beyond the mind to shine through.

Limit-situations have produced many miracles. There have been murderers in death row waiting for execution who, in the last few hours of their lives, experienced the egoless state and the deep joy and peace that come with it. The inner resistance to the situation they found themselves in became so intense as to produce unbearable suffering, and there was nowhere to run and nothing to do to escape it, not even a mind projected future. So they were forced into complete acceptance of the unacceptable.

They were forced into surrender. In this way, they were able to enter the state of grace with which comes redemption: complete release from the past. Of course, it is not really the limit-situation that makes room for the miracle of grace and redemption but the act of surrender.

So whenever any kind of disaster strikes, or something goes seriously "wrong" - illness, disability, loss of home or fortune or of a socially defined identity, break-up of a close relationship, death or suffering of a loved one, or your own impending death - know that there is another side to it, that you are just one step away from something incredible: a complete alchemical transmutation of the base metal of pain and suffering into gold. That one step is called surrender.

I do not mean to say that you will become happy in such a situation. You will not. But fear and pain will become transmuted into an inner peace and serenity that come from a very deep place - from the Unmanifested itself. It is "the peace of God, which passes all understanding." Compared to that, happiness is quite a shallow thing. With this radiant peace comes the realization - not on the level of mind but within the depth of your Being - that you are indestructible, immortal. This is not a belief: It is absolute certainty that needs no external evidence or proof from some secondary source.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 01/23/2013 13:41:47
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  16:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Plum. I am sleeping a little better. I use the Tarot cards now about an hour before I go to bed and avoid the TV.

And thanks, Shawn, Eckhart Tolle is so powerful. I actually tried today taking away the pain's past and future and just let it be in the NOW. I think that really helped because I have not had the intensity of pain that I have had in the past today. Now if I could just do this all the time.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  17:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chickenbone: You can also listen to the entire book on youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCgAKCtIzE
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  17:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chickenbone you keep learning -your on your way
this is an awesome concept i agree guys-but could it be the best?
well yes -heres a good thing though-
they get better and better-
plum thanks for the kind words-
your really bringing a lot of fresh ideas to the site.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000