TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 unconscious thoughts during sleep?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

julieb

5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  08:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

I am new here, having struggled with fibromyalgia for 12 years with no relief, I am in total acceptance of Dr. Sarno's theory. I have read his book and am reading it again right now. I am starting to feel pretty well during the day when I can instill his principles but I had a question regarding thoughts during sleep. I have always woken up in very much pain and this has NOT changed. Since Sarno believes the unconcious is the place where the 'rage' lies, is it possible this is going on during the night and contributing to my pain in the morning? I figure it likely is but don't know what to do about this. Any thoughts would be most helpful.

Thank you,

Julie

All1Spirit

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt anyone can answer the true effect of dreams on pain syndromes. I can tell you from a strictly physiologic standpoint from about 3 AM on, the body starts to prepare for arousal and getting you ready for the day.

This involves excitatory neurochemicals to take us out of slumber and prepares for being upright, moving and able to do physical activity. When we have a stress disorder, we are extremely sensitive to the rising chemical storm that happens to us each morning. This is why we can go to bed and be somewhat more comfortable and wake up a few hours later and feel like nothing's changed.

For my life and the many anxiety people I have known over the last 40 years this is absolutely true. We all dread mornings when our nervous system is it an upregulated state.

As the neurobiology calms we can once again tolerate this morning arousal, ingested stimulants like coffee and become less prone to stress upsets.

"Around and Around the Circle We Go....
The Answer Sits In The Middle and Knows..."
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You really cannot know the answer to that question, and it is not important. Knowing what contributes to the pain is impossible since the rage by definition is unconscious. We can only consider potential ingredients that stem from our personality traits and life pressures (including most importantly the pressure we put on ourselves).

In this case I believe it is more appropriate to consider that your pain in the morning is nothing more than conditioning. You expect to feel pain in the morning, so you do. TMS gives you the symptoms you expect at the time you expect them, so that it has a high probability of grabbing your attention. Accept this, ignore the pain, and go about your day.
Go to Top of Page

julieb

5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good comments. Dave, I can see what you are saying for sure. Since I have buried so much trauma from childhood that it is hard for me to even feel any longer, I am trying to meditate to get in touch with these feelings. Meditation in itself helps me a lot but I am still having a very hard time even remembering all that I have buried. This is why I wondered what could be going on in my unconcious while I sleep.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie,

Welcome to the forum.
All1Spirit has provided a neat answer there and all I can really add is that I'm topsy-turvy in this regard. I'm usually in a good place come the morning but I am able to sleep in and rise at the time of my choosing. This may be a factor.

I've not done any overt dreamwork for a while but I watch them and turn them over with gentle hands as I wake. Do you pay much attention to your dreams?

There are other fibro sufferers here who can probably contribute much more.

Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Dave's point about conditioning is sound.
Go to Top of Page

julieb

5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, plum, I have recently tried to pay more attention to my dreams and even journal about them as I have read this could be helpful. However, I typically wake and cannot recollect much at all about the dream with the exception of a minor detail. One of the books I read stated that this happens a lot with people who bury their emotions.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave on the conditioning comment. My symptoms are generally -- but not always -- worse in the morning and improve somewhat throughout the day.
Go to Top of Page

Bugbear

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My symptoms are worse at night and again I think this is conditioning. When I get up in the morning I have an agenda for the day and can easily ignore what ails me. However at night I guess I am more inclined to dwell, ruminate and worry.

As for dreams, what takes place isn't as important as the feelings I am left with after having them. I had a dream recently about a colleague threatening to kill me. After pondering this dream I noted how defeatist I was acting. I give up, let people take advantage of me in dreams. I was then able to consider how I feel and react to daily situations. I can be quite negative and defeatist.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  10:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bugbear

I can be quite negative and defeatist.

I think this is where developing some simple and positive affirmations around how you see yourself may be helpful to get you out of this trap of thinking about yourself. This article may help towards orienting you in that direction:

http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8187

Conditioning is reversible, of course, but it takes time and a bit of effort.

I do wonder, sometimes, whether our minds really know the difference between what takes place during our waking reality and what takes place in our dreams. It appears the answer is no, but I would love to hear what other people say regarding this fascinating topic. In the past, I have read some articles on books on dreams and there are a large variety of opinions. Chapter 9 of the book found at the following url, for example, offers one intriguing perspective:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32594788/Mind-Power-in-to-the-21st-Century

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/21/2013 11:05:35
Go to Top of Page

julieb

5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  12:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great information. Affirmations are something I have not looked at doing yet. I think we all want quick improvements so your comment about it taking time reminds me to quit rushing everything and use the tools I have without trying to overanalyze everything!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  13:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy Grammer - Keep Your Head Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmrOB_q3tjo

French / English version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0LxwOjffu8&list=PL3ABB18A13AF25BDC&index=9
Go to Top of Page

julieb

5 Posts