TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Ace of the Day - Day 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cath

116 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  05:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Plum

I think the morning is the easiest because the muscles are completed rested. Also, when I sleep the nerves affected seem to switch off. I always sleep on my back, which has helped me to stop clenching my jaw during the night. In this position, the jaw feels completely relaxed. But, now I've stopped clenching, I really should start to sleep on my side again, or in whichever position feels comfortable. I am getting there slowly.

I don't fear eating anything I want anymore. I can eat steak, and chew nuts without having any after affects. I KNOW there's nothing wrong with my jaw, just wish my brain would let the nerves know. I've stopped the constant need to stretch by distraction. Keeping my mind occupied, and mentally checking myself every time my thoughts stray to any sort of negativity. My advice is just go ahead - eat and brush as much as you like. I found out that it made no difference to the pain.

I brush my teeth four times a day. I know this is obsessive, but I don't feel comfortable unless my mouth is clean after I have eaten.

Plum, we have to conquer the fears one by one until there are none left. But you have to do it in your own time, when you're ready, and as Ace says, don't strain into it.

I still have fears to conquer, but feel more positive than I've felt in a long time that eventually my life will be pain-free. Just know it in your heart.

Be happy!
Cath
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  07:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cath,

You're a gem. This is fabulous and very supportive advice. Clenching is my problem. When I clench at night it sets off spasms throughout the day, a small muscular tic of sorts. It makes my teeth hurt and it's this that freaks me out. My dentist has assured me that once I stop clenching, this discomfort will pass and I've had two periods of late where I haven't clenched and the pain faded significantly. I intend to follow in your practice of sleeping on my back which is a wonderfully relaxing pose anyway, and the one I use when I listen to relaxation or guided meditation recordings.

Again, many thanks sweetheart.
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  11:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Shawn, you really are the bookman. it's nice to know I can have it online whenever I need. I have the hard copy here and have read the entire thing at least twice, but the issue is getting this wisdom to sink in.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  01:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ease not fear.
I've made some progress here thanks to Claire Weekes and Balto, including a short period of almost no pain at all. This glimpse gives me much hope.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  08:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of times, in my humble opinion, this fear is due to mind-chatter which is telling us that there is danger, which in turn keeps us in a state of high agitation and the increase in the intensity of symptoms. Here is where the affirmations help a lot. The affirmations will not immediately take away the symptoms, but they will at least help to calm you down and be mentally, as well as emotionally, in the moment. Pay close attention to that mind-chatter when your symptoms are really intense and notice what your mind is telling you. You will know if you pay close enough attention. Once you recognize these thoughts then, as suggested by Ace, use positive affirmations and positive self-talk as a counter to this negative and fright inducing mind-chatter.

Remember, working yourself up is not going to make you feel any better and, in fact, has the complete opposite effect. The Ekhart Tolle audio clips I posted yesterday will help you to develop mindfulness exercises if or when you are in one of those intense moments. This does not necessarily contradict what Dr. Sarno has taught us, but rather compliments his reminder that we have nothing really to fear. As Tolle and other mindfulness / spiritual teachers remind us, most of our suffering actually comes from our interpretations around what we are experiencing and these interpretations can be countered via positive counter-affirmations.

See: Eckhart Tolle audio here:
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8097

Remember also, this will not take away your symptoms right now, but will assist you to stay in the moment and, in the process, reduce your suffering which is what we all desire.

I hope this helps, as I too am merely a student of this process and not any kind of master.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/21/2013 08:09:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000