TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Old Regular Stopping In To Say Hello!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cath

116 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  06:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great Kevin! And makes so much sense. There's not a thought you've expressed that hasn't run through my mind for the last two years since following the Sarno path to healing. I thought I WAS living my life the way I was "before pain", but I was fooling myself. Asking yourself the question "what you would do if someone told you that you were going to be in pain for the rest of your life" made me ACCEPT finally. And Claire Weekes" words were echoing through my mind also "utter, utter acceptance." It brings a sense of relief and a letting go, which in turn does decrease pain.

Cath
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  21:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kevin, I ,too, remember you. I'm definitely one of the oldies. I was passing thru and saw your name. I look for some of the original members from time to time but see very few. I hope that is because they have learned how to deal with their Tms as you have. Thankfully, I have too. It's almost as natural as breathing and eating. The forum has changed tremendously. I hope it is as helpful to all of you as the old one was to us. To me, the greatest aid in conquering the demons was loosing the fear. Fear is the crippling enabler of Tms.
Go to Top of Page

catmac

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  14:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly, TMS thrives off that fear. You're experiencing pain already, why not face your pain and enjoy a walk with the pain? After that a light jog for a half a block. After that a bike ride.

That's how you face TMS, and after that TMS let's go of you.

---------------------------
Kevin, I think the statement 'tms let's go of you' could be an aha moment for many people. I think we all fall into the trap of fighting tms instead of accepting it. I think this is true of many illnesses accept it, live with it, do what you can to enjoy life despite it, and let it pass in its own time.

thanks for all your wise words...............truly helpful

catmac
Go to Top of Page

gailnyc

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catmac and Susie,

Can I ask how you learned to let go of fear? It's what I'm struggling with right now.

My fear is mainly of the pain getting worse. How do you let go of that?

Gail
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  16:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Gail, my aha moment came years ago thru someone's post on the forum. The comment was about the pain and how horrible it was and that , somehow, I had survived that horrible pain. After all, since I had lived thru the terrible awful ( stole it from "the help") and I was still alive and kicking, what else could it do to me? You just have to embrace it and dare it. It's a gradual awareness that you are ok. The pain never frightens me anymore, so I rarely have any. The tougher thing for me are the odd symptoms when you think something could actually be wrong with you this time. The funny thing is Tms always overplays its hand. It always overdoes it until you realize it's just been your brain creating the problem the whole time.
It's a process. You have to practice at first and then it just becomes second nature. Have some patience. I will have to work on this my whole life. I compare it to my curly hair. Humidity will always frizz it up but I will always have a chi!
Go to Top of Page

gailnyc

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  17:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Susie

It's a gradual awareness that you are ok. The pain never frightens me anymore, so I rarely have any...
It's a process. You have to practice at first and then it just becomes second nature. Have some patience. I will have to work on this my whole life.

thank you so much for this, Susie. I have been practicing and very slowly getting better at it. I find Claire Weekes's advice very helpful because she says never give up, at first you will feel fear a lot but as long as you are able to have moments of letting go of fear, you will be able to build on those until you feel them less and less. This is what I've been working on.

Some people make it sound like they were able to let go of fear completely and suddenly. I know it is not like that for me so I get discouraged. So thank you so much for your encouraging reply.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  19:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone's different. I really believe everyone suffers from Tms. Just so few realize it. I feel very fortunate. The knowledge has really contributed to my well being. I think you are well ahead of the game by recognizing what is happening. That is the hard part. Getting a handle on it just takes practice. Who doesn't like a good challenge?it will become very satisfying to you when you realize you are in control. You just don't know it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  03:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really great advice from suzie. It really does just take practice.
Go to Top of Page

catmac

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  10:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by gailnyc

Catmac and Susie,

Can I ask how you learned to let go of fear? It's what I'm struggling with right now.

My fear is mainly of the pain getting worse. How do you let go of that?

Gail

Hi Gail

I was the exact same, Gail, terrified of the pain getting worse. I stopped doing pretty much everything incase I made the pain worse, ie, went off sick at work, wouldn't book a holiday, wouldn't go for nights out, etc etc. I would only do the bare minimum. I was miserable and thought I was dying!!

My first lightbulb moment came when I went to a local coffee shop with my sister. She had just returned from holiday and I was totally engrossed in how her holiday had been and all her stories that I didn't notice any pain. The minute I arrived back home, the pain kicked in big time. That was my first clue that this pain could be psychological rather than physical. I realized then that I should pander no more to this pain so I started to plan to get my life back. I returned to work, increased my exercise and social life and booked a holiday. This was all done gradually. I was still scared (terrified sometimes) but carried on anyway. Eventually as I rebuilt my life the fear left me. Like la kevin says your tms will decide to leave you when the time is right. Just accept you have it just now, and work with it.

I hope this all makes sense. I could say so much more. It's not an easy road but you will get there. Each small achievement will build your confidence and you will get better.

keep in touch
catmac
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  20:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great stuff. I've copied the entire thread and am editing it down to the gist of your ideas, kevin. Thanks so much.

"It's worth considering that tms is not a treatment but rather an unfolding of the self, and a way of living as an emotionally aware and engaged soul." Plum
Go to Top of Page

Lou

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  21:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very helpful - especially for people who've had relapses and a variety of symptoms
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  23:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy moly, great thread Kevin. Just got around to getting through it.
Great advice. Thanks for the good will in coming back to help out. The grattitude on this thread is very apparent.
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  15:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Hell, I'm SO sorry for not responding to people's posts.

I've been super busy and when I viewed the thread from my cellphone the posts are BACKWARDS in chronological order, so I never saw any new ones. I was wondering what was going on.

---------------------------
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"- John Lennon

"TMS is just as afraid of us succeeding, as it is us failing" - Me
Go to Top of Page

gailnyc

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  19:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catmac

Hi Gail

I was the exact same, Gail, terrified of the pain getting worse. I stopped doing pretty much everything incase I made the pain worse, ie, went off sick at work, wouldn't book a holiday, wouldn't go for nights out, etc etc. I would only do the bare minimum. I was miserable and thought I was dying!!

My first lightbulb moment came when I went to a local coffee shop with my sister. She had just returned from holiday and I was totally engrossed in how her holiday had been and all her stories that I didn't notice any pain. The minute I arrived back home, the pain kicked in big time. That was my first clue that this pain could be psychological rather than physical. I realized then that I should pander no more to this pain so I started to plan to get my life back. I returned to work, increased my exercise and social life and booked a holiday. This was all done gradually. I was still scared (terrified sometimes) but carried on anyway. Eventually as I rebuilt my life the fear left me. Like la kevin says your tms will decide to leave you when the time is right. Just accept you have it just now, and work with it.

I hope this all makes sense. I could say so much more. It's not an easy road but you will get there. Each small achievement will build your confidence and you will get better.

keep in touch
catmac

Catmac, thank you so much for this. It is extremely helpful and encouraging. Sorry it took so long for me to reply!

Gail
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000