TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 what I dont get about TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdiddy

46 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  18:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I feel totally relaxed, maybe even just exercised and ate a healthy meal, and i will be experiencing these chest and arm pains that have been plaguing me for a year or so now. Btw I have done an ekg and stress test and the doc didn't see anything wrong. But I don't get why I would feel pain in a time when I should be pain free....relaxed etc.

But then, there will be other times when I am clearly very stressed out, sitting and thinking about high stress things and feeling awful, nervous, anxious, etc, and I will have NO body pains. It confuses me because I then realize it and think to myself, why doesn't it hurt right now? This is what causes my doubt that it IS in fact TMS.

I just don't get it....there seems to be no rhyme or reason or timing to my pain which confuses me and makes it hard for me to believe that it is truly Tms.

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  18:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok anxiety is an equivalent of the pain. So you will usually have pain OR anxiety to take its place. The basic cause is really a mental strain, a greedy want to do the impossible beyond our physical and mental limit. Being in a rush and wanting to be faster than you can be is probably the biggest reason. If you think of it this way, you will see that it does not have to follow logic. What I mean by this is that you may have no reason to be upset, but because of your strained habits, your hyped up mind wants to go on to the next chore or do something else. I explain this better in my keys to healing. I hope this answers your question.

Edited by - Ace1 on 07/24/2013 18:51:58
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  08:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should not confuse you at all. This is classic TMS.

You must learn that the symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with what you are feeling on a conscious level at the moment you feel the symptoms. The symptoms are manufactured by your brain to serve a purpose.

I find it is best not to attach any meaning to the details of when and how the symptoms appear. Consider them random. Welcome them as a signal that you should pay attention to emotions you may be repressing.

The more you try to analyze, the more you fall into the trap. You are focusing on the symptoms, which is precisely their purpose. If you allow them to grab your attention, they will continue.
Go to Top of Page

GTfan

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  08:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember reading in Steve O's book that sometimes TMS pain occurs after a period of high stress. While we are stressed, the anxiety itself serves as a distraction. Then once we have relaxed on a conscious level, our brain gives us other symptoms to distract from the repressed emotions.

I think this happens more to us (that know we have TMS). When others are stressed and start feeling pain, they don't know that they are connected so the brain's distraction works. When we are stressed, we expect to feel pain. So I think the brain sometimes gives us more pain after the stress as a better distraction mechanism.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  11:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You must learn that the symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with what you are feeling on a conscious level at the moment you feel the symptoms. The symptoms are manufactured by your brain to serve a purpose."

In my experience this is not correct. For the most part, my TMS symptoms ebb and flow very neatly with my consciously apprehended stress levels. There are many practitioners who've moved beyond Sarno's Freudian type approach. Distraction models are increasingly creaky these days, and for newcomers can be quite confusing with all the mucking around with unconscious emotions that may or may not exist, and endless journaling, which can be stressful in itself.

Of course I'm sure some/many are helped by this approach. My argument is that for some it's counterproductive, and in any case unnecessary for healing.

Edited by - art on 07/25/2013 11:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  13:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art

"You must learn that the symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with what you are feeling on a conscious level at the moment you feel the symptoms. The symptoms are manufactured by your brain to serve a purpose."

In my experience this is not correct. ...

Correct or not, it is detrimental to focus on the symptoms, period. There is no benefit to correlate one's symptoms with one's conscious stress/anxiety levels at the time they are occurring.

In my own experience the symptoms are highly variable. They often come at times when "nothing is bothering me."

My main point is, none of this really matters. Analyzing where, why, and how bad the symptoms are is counterproductive because it focuses on the symptoms. It is not necessary to understand the exact mechanism of TMS. There is no need to accept any one psychological model. There is no need to accept the Freudian explanation or the anxiety explanation or any number of other concepts. There is no need to uncover repressed emotions. The essence of recovery is 1. Knowledge; 2. Acceptance; 3. Reconditioning.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  16:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience is that my pain level has nothing to do with my conscious stress levels, unless perhaps it is inversely correlated...In fact, the more stressed out I feel/am aware of, on a conscious level, the less likely I am to have leg pain...My pain is most likely to occur because I have performed a physical action related to my conditioning fears...I do find that if I think about how the current pain could be tied to issues from the past - not really subconscious because I can access these memories easily - just from that mental exercise - only performed briefly - the pain level diminishes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000