TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hypnosis?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  14:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is hypnosis acceptable to use in TMS to uncover repressed anger/rage or does if fall into the category of " pain placebo"? Sarno says it is very clear that hypnosis shows the correlation of mind/body in one book but then in another he says it's not indicated because it's a placebo for pain. But what if you're not doing hypnosis for pain relief, but instead to uncover things that may be at the root cause of the TMS? Memories that are supressed, anger that you can't figure out where it's coming from... the very things many of us are struggling with, clearly from reading these posts. Thoughts?

Edited by - marytabby on 04/06/2005 17:22:05

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  18:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

A lot of people read Sarno and immediately look for a short cut,with the intentions of having a Zen healing experience(Enlightenment NOW)...

Most 'hypnotherapists' are at about the Chiropractor level of skill and efficacy with TMS...a year to 18 months of training(no high school diploma required) and whatever you want to happen,they can manifest.Lots of knowing nods and affirmations.

My ex-lead singer was going to hypnotherapy school and got certified while she was simultaneously a call girl,doing drugs all night and her personal life a shambles....she couldn't remember the words to songs we'd played for years! I can't picture her actually helping another person.It's one of those new "anybody can do it" careers they advertise on daytime TV.

The Hypnotism that is done by PhD. Psychiatrists and Psychologists is a much more refined method,and only used sparingly in extreme cases.

Psychotherapy is the process that Sarno feels works best,and that is only mandatory for a small percentage...the rest is reading,repudiating the structural and resuming activity!!

sorry if it sounds like I'm bombing on this idea,but it's one step away from chiropractic.

peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

moose1

162 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  19:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried it twice...useless. For me it was a hundred bucks to lay on a couch and hear a "therapist" read me a really poorly written "visualization" script. I could hypnotize myself more effectively. Baseball's right; as far as ridding yourself of TMS, hypnosis is a total crock, just like chiro. I recommend taking a break from posting here and working on the Sarno stuff and see how it goes.

Moose
Go to Top of Page

smth416

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  19:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may have a point Mary. If Hypno can help dredge up certain memories of feelings and bring them to the surface, maybe it could fit in to TMS treatment. -Al
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  17:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried this and also had a negative result. I got much more out of just talking then I did from the visualizations. I agree with the comments of the others that there is no substitute for the work or psychotherapy if results don't materialize.
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  19:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i too have thought of hypnotherapy, but in the end it is just a cop-out, trying to get through tms without putting in the real effort...

TMS teaches us to know ourselves far more than any hypnotherapy can....
dealing with TMS leaves us with skills to deal with our psychi far more than the average person.

As also mentioned hypnotherapy in the wrong hands (though mostly unintentional) can actually GIVE you problems you never had. if the therapist 'thinks' that your problem is 'this' then the entire session can tend to be them leading you to that conclusion whether it ws EVER true or not.

NOTE: i have never actually been hypnotised!

personally i am terified of hypnotherapy, from seing tv shows about how memory works & how hypnotherpy has in the past given people memories that never existed.... & many of a horrific molestation event that actually NEVER happend (physical evidence proving so.)

when your under you have the desire to please the therapist so much you do what they say... whether it is true or not.
Go to Top of Page

Logan

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  04:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently contemplating going back into therapy with maybe, maybe the possibility of hypnotherapy to access memories of trauma BUT I would only do this under the care of a licensed psychologist.

Before I found about Sarno, when I was really desperate, I went to a "hypnotherapist" who charged me $200 for one session and a cassette tape. I never felt hypnotized, I left with a migraine and a crappy tape which didn't help me either.

Since knowing about Sarno, I've tried positive reinforcement hypno tapes made by a PhD psych. I sleep really deeply when I use them, but I don't know if they've actually helped me.

I got these tapes online, thinking that they'd be cheaper than going back into therapy and might help me with the anxiety and self-esteem issues that have come up for me since being pain free.

Actually, the feelings seem worse than ever. I stopped using the tapes because I started to feel an aversion to them.

I think if you, as I'm beginning to think that I do, have underlying shame/anger/sadness abscesses that need deep surgical work (by a real, live professional), a "bandaid" approach like this will not work.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000