TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Trusting doctors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

molomaf

119 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  06:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Anne wrote:
"Something else that occurs to me - those of us who have been unable to get any help with TMS from conventional treatments probably have difficulty trusting doctors in the way we used to. Making decisons on behalf of our children becomes doubly difficult because we have lost some trust in the experts."

Anne, this is so true. In December of last year, I was afraid to go to a doctor because I didn't trust them. I waited for 2 1/2 weeks in incredible pain and not being able to walk because I knew if I went to the emergency room, I would hear "surgery" and I wouldn't believe it was necessary. Turns out that I had one of those rare situations that did require surgery. I saw Dr. Martinez in Boston and his words to me were that it is very sad when people cannot trust doctors. He told me he understood why I had waited with my condition. He also told me that I should call him in the future if I have any doubt with symptoms. He really is a wonderful guy.
But I don't trust doctors in general and that is very sad.
My children are older as well and I didn't have to deal with the vaccine issue. I just accepted it as the norm. I no longer vaccinate my dogs or use heartworm meds so now I go up against my vet as well! And I really like her! I just don't accept the protocol without thought.
Michele

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  11:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting a balance between putting our whole trust in the medical profession and trusting our own instincts is what becomes difficult, I think, Michele.

As you say - accepting protocol without thought is not really an option when we have explored the whole TMS thing. Probably most of us have been diagnosed and treated by doctors who were certain that our back pain, gastro disorder or whatever was one particular thing, only to find out that it was not that, then someone else would be equally certain that it was something else - on and on - until we feel that we can't trust doctors anymore.

Finding a balance is difficult, because many things conventional medicine does very well - after an accident; it was thanks to the skill of the surgeon who repaired my very badly broken shoulder and the care of a good physiotherapist, that it is as good as new.

Other things they don't do so well - as we all know.

One thing that people who post here have in common is the desire and determination to play an active part in, and take responsibilty for our own health care. And in doing so, most of us have reaped the benefits, but the doctor/patient relationship changes as a result.

When we are dealing only with ourselves it is pretty straightforward, but when we have to make decisions about others - children, elderly relatives and, indeed, the animals in our care - that's more complicated.

Best wishes

Anne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000