TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Selftalk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bazz

Netherlands
34 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  10:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno emphasizes in his books the importance of selftalk in the recovery process. Actually to me this is the most difficult part to do on a regular basis.

I have a couple of questions about selftalk.
How often you apply selftalk? (on a daily basis) When do you apply selftalk? (in what kind of situations) What kind of things do you say to yourself?

I am very interested to hear your comments on this subject.

Edited by - Bazz on 04/10/2005 12:10:45

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  11:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bazz.

I still use this method to prevent new outbreaks,to eradicate small demons ,and as a generalized emotional cathartic.

let's say...my shoulder starts bugging me.My structually conditioned head says "Oh no,I must have slept wrong,or thrown to many baseballs,or twisted it...or god forbid...I've torn the rotator cuff!! Oh no...I'll never be able to throw a ball again..I can't play catch with my son!"

It starts to occupy my brain,and I find myself focusing on it every time I'm not pre-occupied with something else...it stinks of TMS...so...

(me talking OUT LOUD to me)

"You know what? I don't believe you.....in fact...I think you are just another sorry attempt to distract me...I don't need your help anymore,so you can get the Hell out of here.....I KNOW I'm really upset about something else,and you're just here to bug me...in fact(I lift something heavy with the "injured arm")...you aren't even very good at lying....how come I can lift 50 pounds pain free,but it hurts to lob a baseball?....you need to leave,and I'm going to feel my anger at my boss,face the fear of my wifes disapproval,and resent the responsibility of parenting all by myself without your help"

that's just a sample....my shoulder doesn't hurt,but you get the idea.

The important thing to do is to be able to be in a safe place where you do it,A. So no one calls the guys in white suits and B. so you are really honest and open with yourself.

It's not unlike talking to an imaginary friend when you were a little kid...except this is a very real friend whose help you don't want

Driving is a good time to do this...people in the other cars will think you're on the cel or something.

I do them out loud at work.....it sort of keeps my boss away from the room I'm working in...He calls TMS theory "california psycho-babble" but then again,he limps all day and is in chronic pain from an injury that happened 15 years ago.

I'll stay crazy and pain free.

peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  20:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baseball65
Driving is a good time to do this...people in the other cars will think you're on the cel or something.

Hi Bazz,

I have a long drive to work, so I do a lot of yelling at my TMS in the car. It helps a lot. I cant "let it all out" at home since there is always someone home 99% of the time.

If you are in a pinch, and there are people around, yell silently in your mind. Its not as good but better than nothing if you detect a TMS attack coming on.

Hope this helps, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 04/10/2005 20:45:36
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  22:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Self talk is no doubt a very important tool in fighting tms but I find it is important to use this in conjunction with the next step of the recovery process and that is to ignore the pain and actually do something that is going to tell your brain you are not afraid. If it hurts to sit for eg, you need to ignore the pain and keep sitting. If it shoulder pain, then throw a ball or something.

Step 1 self talk, step 2 ignore the pain, step 3 perform any physical act that tells your brain you are defying the pain and that you are not afraid. This method is more effective than just self talk.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000