TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS: A Conversation With Dr. David Schechter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Zafirides

189 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  20:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

It was my honor and privilege to interview Dr. David Schechter for Episode 101 of The Healthy Mind podcast.

Mind-Body Pain Syndromes: A Conversation With David Schechter
http://www.thehealthymind.com/2014/04/16/mind-body-pain-syndromes-a-conversation-with-david-schechter-m-d/

Dr. Schechter is one of the true "TMS pioneers". Dr. Schechter was formally taught by Dr. Sarno at NYU. He was also one of the first individuals to publish research on TMS.

While he has been a major influence in my professional career, it was Dr. Schechter's book (The Mind Body Workbook) and associated audio CD's that finally cured me of my TMS pain. I cannot begin to express the debt of gratitude I owe him.

I hope you find the 60-minute interview helpful. It was a pure delight for me!!

Kindly,
Dr. Zafirides

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  10:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dr Z.
Very interesting interview!
~RSR
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  15:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Schechter and Peter Zafirides are highly respected, accomplished, and intelligent. There discussion is well worth a listen. About half the time is used to condemn the medical community, which they claim is for the most part ignorant of, or hostile to the TMS thesis. I give them great credit for breaking ranks. However, they fail to see that for many doctors offering a TMS diagnosis is bad for business. For this reason there is little hope that TMS will ever be embraced by more than a few medical doctors. Indeed, Schechter articulates a need to educate the general public about TMS (he has evidently given up on the medical community).
It is interesting to speculate as to the future of the medical profession. I would guess that over half of medical costs in the US are incurred because of ineffective and harmful treatments prescribed for TMS. At a time when the role of a single molecule on our DNA is understood if seems likely the medical profession will lose all credibility by ignoring the cause of a large proportion of health problems. Imagine what you would think of a doctor who refuses to accept the idea that bacteria and virus causes infection.
Schechter and Zafirides spend some time discussing the “why and how” of TMS. Several times they mention MRI (brain scans) in support of their theories. I think that these discussions are at odds with the headline for their interview: “When it comes to chronic pain – think psychological, not structural.“ The point is that the “why and how” are irrelevant. Psychological stress can cause pain! The wiring is not important. What is important is to reduce or eliminate stress from our lives.
I wish that Schechter had spent some time discussing how he makes a diagnosis for TMS. For example is chronic (more than six months) back (or neck or knee, etc.) pain by itself an indication of TMS? Is TMS the correct diagnosis for individuals who claim to be suffering from fibro myalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome ?
I highly recommend the POD casts Peter Zafirides has provided on his WEB site. He is a major source for anyone interested in TMS.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Zafirides

189 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  13:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RageSootheRatio

Thanks, Dr Z.
Very interesting interview!
~RSR

Thank you, Rage. Your courage is inspiring.

PZ
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Zafirides

189 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  13:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus

David Schechter and Peter Zafirides are highly respected, accomplished, and intelligent. There discussion is well worth a listen.... I highly recommend the POD casts Peter Zafirides has provided on his WEB site. He is a major source for anyone interested in TMS.

Peregrinus,

I sincerely appreciate your kind words, thoughtful analyses and challenging, respectful criticisms. It means so much to me. Please know you have helped me to understand TMS and other mind-body syndromes more clearly.

We must NEVER assume we have all the answers. ANY "truth" is potentially undermined if sufficient data exists to the contrary.

This might unsettle some, but it is the only way.

Many Thanks,
PZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000