TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 OxyContin and other opioids tied to 1 in 8 deaths
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  08:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

OxyContin and other opioids tied to 1 in 8 deaths in young adults, Ontario study shows
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/oxycontin-and-other-opioids-tied-to-1-in-8-deaths-in-young-adults-ontario-study-shows-1.2696995

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  10:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The article says illegal recreational use of rx pain killers and heroin is the issue. I had an excruciatingly painful kidney stone attack once and was given morphine in the ER (after many hours of agony because they were so backed up). The morphine quickly and thankfully did it's job dissipating the pain. I was given Perocdan to take home to use for a few days. This was at least five years ago and the proper use of these meds did not turn me into a junky.

People, mainly young, using them to get high and mixing them with alcohol is the problem. I would examine the socio-cultural failings that create the environment that allows this to happen and not blame the pain relieving medications. Not sure why the lovely lady researcher has such a big grin on her face given the negative news she was reporting, maybe she was blindsided by the media.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  23:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree TT. Opiates are very useful short term.
I was on opiates for 3 years after a failed surgery. It was quite hard to stop. It took me 4 months to feel normal again after tapering off.

I still don't regret it. I am not sure what I would have done without those pills to alleviate pain.
Go to Top of Page

jaya

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  16:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oxy is the devil...doctors prescribe them like candy...its a joke

"Never work so hard to make a living, that you forget to make a life"
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  23:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody remember "Reefer Madness?", a propaganda movie made in the 1930's, supported by the US government, if not by money but by publicity, that created a monster out of marijuana?

There was a time just over a hundred years ago when drugs of any type were legal in the United States. It was up to the person if they wanted to lose their senses in an opium den or take peyote.

The current barrage of articles, such as the one posted by ShawnSmith, are taking medications and making demons out of them based on abuse by people who will abuse most anything. This is dangerous thinking, and part of a bigger effort by totally misguided anti-med "Med Madness" people to impose their faulty knowledge, based mostly on personal bad experiences, on the balance of the population.

It is my wish that those who think that some of the medications are not needed face the horror of unrelenting pain, and are given the choice of an aspirin (which actually kills many more people than Oxycontin each year) or having a few drops of St. John's Wort or some Zinc or some other less than effective medication or herb. They will beg, and that is what they deserve. Idiots.

This kind of stuff posted on here makes less and less sense, and is not helping anybody in anyway. I may be wrong, but it appears to me that traffic here is decreasing, and it is due to the type of posts that argue junk science and biased opinions.

Oh, and this site is dedicated to Dr. Sarno and his theories, books and practices but I think people have to have an open mind to other ways to a pain-free future, and if meaningful questions arise about Dr. Sarno that they are answered without rancor. The distraction theory does not seem to make sense for many, and even if it does, if the "knowledge" of it does not take away the pain, then what? Therapy? By whom? About what, exactly? And how to afford it? And under what psychological aspect does TMS come under?

I have had some great advice from Art, TT, Hillbilly, HellNY and others. Balto came along after I was better, but he makes the complicated simple, a real talent. Ace1, the same thing. I wish I had had the "Keys to Healing" to post up when I was sick, but I didn't. Many have been helped by it, I am sure.

My real prayer is that the people who land here, like I did, end up with enough knowledge to be cured of their agony.

It was one hell of a ride for me, and I do want to thank all those who helped, and I wish everybody peace and recovery. Bridges really do freeze before roads, yet with care you can get across to continue the journey.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  09:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Back2-It
This kind of stuff posted on here makes less and less sense, and is not helping anybody in anyway.

It is a valid point. I try to be liberal and allow a free exchange of information and ideas, but there comes a point where it can be detrimental to those seeking to recover from TMS, which is the ultimate purpose of the forum.
quote:

Oh, and this site is dedicated to Dr. Sarno and his theories, books and practices but I think people have to have an open mind to other ways to a pain-free future, and if meaningful questions arise about Dr. Sarno that they are answered without rancor. The distraction theory does not seem to make sense for many, and even if it does, if the "knowledge" of it does not take away the pain, then what? Therapy? By whom? About what, exactly? And how to afford it? And under what psychological aspect does TMS come under?

I have made the point many times that overcomplicating TMS treatment is counterproductive. Humans are novices when it comes to understanding the brain. Frankly, we have no clue about how it really works. The one thing most people can agree on is that the symptoms are somehow tied to emotions.

The distraction theory is a metaphor, and one that is very successful for many people based on Dr. Sarno's clinical experience. It works because it forces us to refocus our minds away from the pain and towards our emotional state.

How we classify TMS is secondary. Whether or not the symptoms are a distraction from repressed emotion, or an alternate expression of anxiety, or something entirely different is not important. All these theories are just an attempt to understand a concept that likely is far more complex than we can possibly understand based on our limited knowledge of the brain. In fact, being too analytical about the inner workings of TMS can be counterproductive. This obsessive thinking in and of itself can be seen as an equivalent symptom.

This intellectual analysis doesn't really help the healing process. To use another metaphor: TMS is a 'right brain' rather than 'left brain' process. Even if we were able to understand 100% of the TMS process on an intellectual level, it would not help us heal. For that we need to recondition ourselves. Keep it simple:

1. Repudiate the structural diagnosis.
2. Resume normal physical activity.
3. Stop physical treatments.
4. When aware of the symptoms, remind yourself they are benign, and shift your thoughts towards the emotional realm.
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  14:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said, Dave. I agree 100%. The important thing to focus on is what we know works - the things that have changed so very many lives. We must always be aware of the limitations of current science.

I think that this is just a tremendously difficult time to be running a TMS forum. I just downloaded the data from Google Trends and it shows that if you compare the global search interest in the phrase "Tension Myositis Syndrome" between the first half of 2009 and the first half of 2014, interest is down by 34%. As someone who has spent more than 11,000 hours and many tens of thousands of dollars (I'd rather not go into details) trying to build a TMS nonprofit, the 34% number sends chills down my spine. How can I be a community organizer if the number of people open to joining the community is declining? What can be done to reverse that trend? Having put a huge amount of thought into it, I don't think that there is an easy solution.

The upcoming TMS documentary may help, but I've been around too long to think it will get wide distribution. Our movement depends on book authors, but so far no authors have had an impact remotely close to Dr. Sarno's and interest in him seems to be slowly declining globally. Tennis Tom asked about my take on the 34% statistic in the other forum, and I wrote a long response to him there. In terms of maintaining our own spirits, I think we just have to focus on the people who we are able to help and not worry about all of the ones who we can't.

Getting back to my original point, I think you're doing a great job, Dave and admire the sacrifices you've made over the years to keep this forum going. Six years ago, this forum changed my life by showing me people who were "just like me" and teaching me that Dr. Sarno's could save me from my 18 year hell. For that I will forever be grateful.

Forest

Edited by - forestfortrees on 08/02/2014 14:42:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000