TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Video: "Depression is a disease of civilization"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  06:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drv3BP0Fdi8

Good stuff

While TMS isn't specifically mentioned, you can draw good conclusions from humans modern lifestyle as to why TMS exists.

flyfishnevada

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2014 :  23:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I found Dr. Sarno's work I used to wonder how primitive man, even people up until the last century or so, could survive when they had to be in constant pain. If all it took was a slightly bulging disc to send shooting pain down one's leg, they must have been in horrible pain. Wouldn't they have injured themselves far more often considering the the lack of modern conveniences? Just hunting up some dinner or grinding some grain on a rock, according to modern medicine, should've had them all bent over in excruciating pain.

TMS answered my questions. They likely weren't suffering from back pain at all. They had herniated discs, slipped vertebra, etc. but felt no pain because those don't cause pain. I'd also imagine that primitive peoples didn't have to deal with the strange and rigid expectations of western civilization. You got angry, you shouted. You wanted to kill the guy in the next cave, you did. You wanted a woman and you wanted her now, you clonked her on the head and dragged her home.

OK, that's comically stereotypical but you get the point. In smaller, disconnected groups there probably wasn't the pressure to conform to the odd and illogical social norms like we get in our large, connected society. They got messages on how to act from parents and others and those were authentic. We get hammered by TV, movies, ads, social media, etc. all telling us directly or indirectly how to act, how to be popular and how to fit in and most of it had nothing to do with our natural behavior or how we evolved.

I don't think most people are capable of living in modern society, organizing their own lives, defining their own goals, etc. They aren't lazy, they are perfectly evolved for the small, tribal living we thrived in for thousands of years. They fall victim to the ills and conventions of modern life and they suffer for it.

Edited by - flyfishnevada on 08/17/2014 23:10:46
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  09:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thought out post FFN, were you an anthro major?

Skizzik's find by comedian Maria Bamford sums up TMS well for me:

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."
Go to Top of Page

flyfishnevada

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  22:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Well thought out post FFN, were you an anthro major?

Skizzik's find by comedian Maria Bamford sums up TMS well for me:

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night

Edited by - flyfishnevada on 08/18/2014 22:26:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000