TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 what is the best way of dealing with TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  07:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once someone in this forum told me (about my long process for becoming pain free): "You're not there yet", because I was still trying to understand the phisical aspects of my pain. I eventualy "got there", and belive there were nothing wrong with my arms. I've been pain free until now, after trying to do push-ups. I think I just forgot how it was to "be there" because it's been so long without feeling any pain. My brain keeps telling me that this time is for real, because I did somting I haven't done along time ago, push-ups. I think i just forgot the click to convince my brain otherwise. Should I do push-ups? I mean, I just don't need to do push-ups to live, but the fear of doing will always remain.

I also was unable to play computer, and I forced it. For sometime it make my pain worsen, but then the pain stopped. I could play the computer, pain free. Even retro games where we are always pressing the fire button...

Thank you :)

Edited by - filipe on 08/31/2014 07:10:29

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  10:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filipe
My brain keeps telling me that this time is for real...

Your brain is not "telling" you anything. Your belief is that the pain is due to the push-ups.
quote:
... the fear of doing will always remain.

Why do you believe this? Banishing the fear is critical, and it is often harder than banishing the pain.

I'm afraid you are still "not there yet" because you are associating the pain with physical activity. You need to understand and accept the concept of conditioning. TMS is a clever process and gives you the symptoms that you expect, that are most likely to keep you focused in the physical realm.

What you describe is typical of many who have some relief and then get a relapse. I believe that even in those who are "pain free" TMS is dormant and waiting to strike again if the opportunity arises. In this case the push-ups was a perfect opportunity.

If you have not done push-ups for a long time it is perfectly normal that you will feel some muscle soreness. I suggest you ignore it and shift your thoughts to what might be troubling you on an emotional level that you are not fully realizing.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  12:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. I realy needed to hear that from someone.

Fear has always been my worst enemy. I'm starting to work tommorow, and I'm affraid of not being able to work again. You know waht's funny? Some days before I start feeling pain again due to the push-ups, I had several episodes of Artrial Fibillation, and now my heart arrithmias are gone. They were replaced by pain. It seems My mind have to be occupied with something bad(it's definietely the symptom imperative). I realised it today.

You know, I had been pain free for so long, that I forgot the trick to turn it off.

Again thanks,

Filipe
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  09:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

...What you describe is typical of many who have some relief and then get a relapse. I believe that even in those who are "pain free" TMS is dormant and waiting to strike again if the opportunity arises.

... it is perfectly normal that you will feel some muscle soreness.

... I suggest you ignore it and shift your thoughts to what might be troubling you on an emotional level that you are not fully realizing.

These are excellent TMS thoughts from Dave! I've had "frozen shoulders" in both arms three times. Pre-Sarno TMS KNOWLEDGE, I went through the usual allopathic med route: doc, neuro, emg, dx: pinched neuro c6/c7, traction bag for a month, "stop just doing it "or I'll be seeing you for surgery", at the same time was going through an emotionally difficult relationship break-up, (the TMS stress creating life situation).

It took months to get over the situation, plus many other placebo treatments and snake-oyls. Post Sarno, I have had several "frozen shoulders", and just work through it playing tennis and swimming and it goes away in a week or so. As the Good Doctor says: "If it's too heavy to lift, you couldn't lift it."

G'luck!
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/02/2014 12:01:04
Go to Top of Page

flyfishnevada

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  22:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm about four weeks into this (but I'm not counting, I swear). I was doing great. Took a trip to San Francisco, felt some minor pain, pushed through it and didn't dwell on it.

Then I got home and my hay fever acted up. I've had headaches, intestinal issues, my leg hurts again and I've had pain popping up all over my body. It was as if my mind decided I was on my way to healing and facing my repressed feelings and went on the offensive. I don't know if its all TMS but I assume it is. And it worked/is working. I focused on the new pain and discomfort, or was until I had a little talk with myself.

I guess you have to ask yourself if the shoulder pain is TMS or if it's legitimate soreness. I've lifted weights and I know if you take a break and then go back to it, the soreness at first is horrible, but it passes.

Do the pushups. It's either soreness and will pass or it's TMS and it will pass. Concerning yourself with it is the worst thing you can do. Power through the pain. Ignore it. If you must focus on it, focus on the mental reasons it might have appeared. Is it anxiety over doing pushups? Some other situation that is going on?

Doubt and fear are tools of the enemy (your subconscious). Giving into them sends you back to where you were. Ignoring the pain and the fear and anxiety it generates sends you to that "there" place you want to be in. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000