TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Teaching the Nervous System to Forget Chronic Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2014 :  19:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/chronic-pain/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=nova_next

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2014 :  21:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had that kidney stone a few years back and they gave me morphine for it after many hours of writhing in EXCRUCIATING pain in the backed up ER, singing the pain chorus with the poor dude on the next gurney with the burst gut who was being prepped for life saving surgery (I hope) but couldn't take the morphine for his agonizing pain because his associates from the drug-rehab program he was in couldn't OK it without the approval of their administrators. I felt really bad for that guy as I finally got my morphine and the pain whooshed out of my body from the neck down. A short while later I was driving home with an RX for hydrocodone that helped with the pain until the kidney stone passed. This was a few years back AND I did NOT become a drug addict--I do drink a beer occasionally or have a cocktail. Maybe next time I need a root canal or a hip replacement I'll discuss alternative anesthesia and analgesics like pot and acupuncture like they use for surgery in China--right.
Go to Top of Page

flyfishnevada

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2014 :  22:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a step in the right direction for a bit but by the end I get the feeling it's business as usual with different chemicals. Sounds very TMS-ish to me.

Off topic but stuff like this makes me think. That woman pulled on the reins of her horse. Yeah, so? Construction workers swing hammers thousands of times a day, baseball players hit a ball with a bat, boxers and MMA fighters punch thousands of times a day in training. Uh, where's their snap?

I'm worried, or used be, about how I sat or bent but football players, for instance,throw themselves around like nobody's business. Yeah, they break stuff now and then but they rehab and come back. Sure, the human spine is fragile. Right! I'd like to see an MRI of those guys' spines. Probably make mine look downright healthy
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  11:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with flyfishnevada. The explanation for TMS is quite simple the rest is rubish. If you are distracted, and understand the concept of TMS, and that is your brain trying to cheat you once again, the pain don't sets. The problema is that sometimes, you aren't or you are more vulnarable to TMS, and fear. After 2 years pain free, I'm having a relapse, and I'm doing the same error again, which is surfing in the net, looking for phisical answers, and trying to understand what is happening to me, and this is exactely what TMS wants. On the other hand, I'm getting scared with what I've been Reading, which is exactely what Modern medicine wants from people. Be scared, be very scared, take pills, more pills...

I'm still in pain, but Reading about TMS principles again, made me pain free for some momments, and that is odd, there is, does the injury healed itself in those periods?

Filipe
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  19:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filipe

...On the other hand, I'm getting scared with what I've been Reading, which is exactely what Modern medicine wants from people. Be scared, be very scared, take pills, more pills...

...I'm still in pain, but Reading about TMS principles again, made me pain free for some momments, and that is odd, there is, does the injury healed itself in those periods?

Good observations!!! One correction, if it's TMS (the Tension Myositis Syndrome variety), there is NO injury, just very real pain, from slight oxygen deprivation, to a very minute area, that none the less, is excruciatingly painful--but harmless.

Go to Top of Page

flyfishnevada

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  22:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I constantly prove to myself that the pain is not due to injury or physical abnormalities. It moves around but I doubt my herniated disk moved around to other nerves. I've been saddled with all manner of aches, pains, stomach issues, head aches and hay fever since returning from a trip where I rarely thought about my pain except to notice it wasn't there as it used to be. I can think my pain into new area by concentrating on those (as a though experiment). And not thinking about my pain, or the other TMS symptoms, lessens them.

My problem is training myself to not focus on the pain after years of doing so. I can easily believe that it is not physical as I've always wondered about that. It's retraining my brain to be mindful of the present and what I am doing that is hard. Being on vacation kept my mind busy and I didn't focus on the pain. Coming home to routine allowed me to focus on it again.

Dr. Sarno's advice to become active again has two advantages. It helps prove that the pain is not physical and it focuses the mind on the activity. I'm already looking into finding new activities and rediscovering ones I'd given up a long time ago. All that new stuff to focus on should help immensely.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000