TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Coming off antidepressants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  13:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people. I know I've discussed this before but I need to throw this out there and see the response I get. Have any of you come off anti-depressants who have been on them for a long time? And by a long time I mean 14 years? Yes, I have been on them for 14 years. I am trying to live life without meds and I have been on a slow wean of Cymbalta for over a year now. I just recently (today) read online about how some people can suffer withdrawals for years, especially after being on them for longer than a decade and I'm wondering if that's TMS. I mean, my body can adjust itself, right?! I'm just feeling nervous. For months I have been on a children's dose (sad!) and the last 6 weeks I've only taken half of that dose and now I'm totally coming off. Feeling a little out of it and light headed but can anyone give me any positive words or experience? Thanks!

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  17:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used anti-depressants successfully several times for short term help through some rough patches (Librium and Celexa), and once had a bad reaction to Lexapro (yuck). I can't speak from personal experience about long-term weaning off, but since you are TMS succeptible, I would say to quit googling symptoms. For most here, it seems no good comes from googling symptoms. Listen to your doctor, and if you have side effects talk to him.

G'luck!
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  09:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr.James Alexander that wrote many posts on this forum has discussed the topic at length on his own website.
Go to Top of Page

MatthewNJ

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  13:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same issue here. Tried it too fast, been going slow now (Effexor for me). I was at 1/4 dose for 7 weeks and had to go back to 1/2 dose. I am not going to rush it. I have heard that a year or more to accomplish this is not unreasonable.

Matthew
Less activated, more regulated and more resilient.
Ferretsx3@comcast.net

Organizer of TMSwiki.org/chat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000