TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New here with some questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  19:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have been dealing with pretty debilitating pelvic pain for the last 5 months or so. I was recently turned on to the idea of tms by someone from a pelvic pain forum. I am struggling with the idea that there is nothing physically wrong with me. I am hoping to get some reassurance. It all started with a case of testicular pain that was diagnosed as epididymitis and treated with antibiotics. As soon as I was diagnosed I started googling. I convinced myself that because I had had a vasectomy that this was going to be a chronic issue. I soon found a link between epididymitis and prostatitis. I was then convinced that I would get prostatitis. That's when I started to get symptoms of that. I then went back to google and found that prostatitis can become chronic. Catastrophic thinking kicked in again and I was convinced I would get chronic prostatitis. At this point I started to get pain in my perineum along with the pain in the testicles. After this had been going on for I while I began to research pudendal nerve entrapment. Up until this point all of my pain had been achy muscular type pain. After I sought treatment for pudendal nerve pain I began to have pain that was burning and tingling. So here I am now with a couple different diagnoses. Chronic pelvic pain and pudendal neuralgia. I have been unable to work for the last 3 months. I have 3 kids and a wife and we are single income. I have a very physical job that I love but I can't sit down and I can't do anything active. All of the imaging and tests I have had done have been normal. I went through pelvic floor physical therapy and my pelvic muscles are no longer tense. My hang up in jumping into tms with both feet is that pudendal nerve disorders are very difficult to diagnose and the imaging being negative is typical with the injury. I have also seen some improvement with physical therapy but always seem to relapse. I have no doubt that the pain is coming from the nerve. Can tms cause nerve pain? I have been journaling the last 2 nights and find that my pain gets much worse while I'm journaling. Is this an indication that it is tms. I am a perfectionist I am a people pleaser and tend to be fairly stoic. I am also a catastrophic thinker. Is it possible that my pattern of thinking this way has created these symptoms? Almost like a self fulfilling prophecy? Any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. My life is falling apart and I want so badly to resolve this issue.

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  21:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like TMS to me. Jump in with both feet and ignore the physical.

That the symptoms worsen with dialoging also confirms TMS since if
it wasn't then there would be no modulation right?

Sounds like you are under a lot of life pressure.

Is there someone you can talk to that might help?

Go to Top of Page

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  19:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am under a lot of pressure. Mostly from myself and my fear of what this condition is doing to myself and my family and my job. I am one of those "stuck in your head have to analyze everything" type of guys. I find I am constantly analyzing my symptoms. I have read in a lot of places that when you have symptoms to think about what emotions may be causing them. What if I have symptoms all the time?
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  21:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mac,
Have you read Dr Sarno's books? If you haven't that is a good way to start. Also SteveO's book is also really a good one and Fred's book as well. Pay attention to anything in the books that resonates with you and think about how the pressure is affecting the child within you. You may just have to imagine it since you can't feel it.

The journaling is something to continue to pursue. The symptom worsen's as you validate the
feelings inside that you can't feel but perhaps you can get some insight into.

Letting the fear get to you is counterproductive. Tell yourself that there is nothing really wrong and that your inner child is reacting to the stress that is in your life. Validate the
stress and the pressure that is in your life.

Try and reflect on the situation you are in now to something that might have been similar in your past. Often the thing that you think is the problem is just a trigger to a deeper problem earlier on in your life.

Don't give up despite the symptom and do the work. Hopefully others on the board can offer some more insight and helpful ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  10:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac1986
Is it possible that my pattern of thinking this way has created these symptoms? Almost like a self fulfilling prophecy?

The short answer is yes. However, the TMS process is more complicated.

It seems that you have the personality traits of somebody prone to TMS. I suggest you read Dr. Sarno's The Mindbody Connection as a starting point.

The first step is to get to the point where you accept there is nothing physically wrong with you. Based on your post, this is likely to be difficult. You need to accept that the brain is manufacturing these symptoms and they are benign.
Go to Top of Page

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  14:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave
You are right it is difficult. Everything I read about the condition says don't sit or you will cause more damage. Tms says go ahead and sit you won't cause damage. It's a scary thing for me to jump into as I'm sure it is for most people. I will read the sarno books and go from there. Thanks for your insight.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  08:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mac1986, welcome to the forum.

No one can diagnose anyone else over the internet, but your being a "perfectionist, people pleaser, stoic and a catastrophic thinker" are all hallmark signs of TMS, and given that "all of the imaging and tests you have had done have been normal" is another classic sign.

I think you might get something out of this recent thread:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9143

where Alix says in part:
>Oh, and yes, don't go on pudendal sites. I know it pretty well. I was a moderator on one of them for several years. It is complete nonsense. The success rate with physical modalities is nil.

If you are looking for TMS advice specifically for "pelvic pain" Abigail Steidley is someone who also had debilitating pelvic etc pain and resolved it with a TMS approach. You can google her name if you are interested in seeing her site / resources.

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  22:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Mac1986,

Welcome to the TMS forum, I cannot help you with your current issues since my knowledge base and experience is mainly with backs and neck issues. However as others here are beginning to tell you, your profile fits TMS.

May I suggest that you use the search button with key words describing your symptoms? The data base here is years old and will help you understand what others have experienced. This is sometimes better that posting a message that will often disappear down the page with only a few reading it. There are loads and loads of past posts that are equally valid to your situation going back to 2000. If you do not get immediate input back it pays to post replies in order to keep your post current.

I hope this forum offers you the inspiration for recovery and relief.
Good Luck

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  08:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy
One thing I am noticing is that I wake up pain free for a few moments. Just long enough to get my nervous system going. Then I start to scan my body and the pain returns. I am wondering if my cns is just too wound up. Thanks for all the advice. I have used the search feature and have found some people with pelvic pain success.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  18:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mac1986,

Yes the CNS works overtime sometimes. It’s amazing how uninformed we all are about how our bodies work. As we get on with our lives all those systems working for us to keep us happy, until…well stress catches up with us. Dr Sarno talked about the autonomic nervous system as being a prime target for this stress (TMS) to attack. The autonomic nervous system works with all those unassuming organs in our abdomens. Even more fascinating are two sub systems the sympathetic and parasympathetic.

You remind me of another poster Racer who had similar issues to you. If you go and read especially his first posts it might help because he had similar questions to you. I remember people considered him very receptive and open, he did quite well.

I am with my wife in the hospital presently who has just had knee replacement surgery, and I am amazed to learn about current pain management. I note her pain is for real reasons that can be explained, very different to yours I would think.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/09/2014 18:21:13
Go to Top of Page

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have an appointment with a tms doctor this Friday. His name is mark strom. Anyone ever worked with him? I'm hoping he can help me. This pain has been so extreme and debilitating that I don't feel like I have the mental strength to guide myself through the process. The thing that makes me doubt is that I have had a pretty great life up until this started. I guess I am not getting better with physical treatments so I don't have much to lose. I don't know if I am just mentally weak or what but I am completely obsessed with monitoring my pain and am having a hard time forcing myself to think of anything else. Thanks for all your feedback. I am hoping my appointment goes well on Friday.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  17:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac1986

His name is mark strom. Anyone ever worked with him?

Where is he located?
Go to Top of Page

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  18:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Near seattle washington
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  18:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mac1986,

I couldn't find him listed at this sites list of TMS Practitioners, it could use some updating, but he is at the TMS Wiki's. Sounds like he's experienced and learned his TMS from the source, Dr. Sarno at NYU, Rusk. I'll copy his thumbnail bio from the TMS Wiki to here in the hopes others can find him too. Good luck and if you're of a mind to let us know how things go.

======================================================================

Mark Strom, MD (Physician)

Dr Strom has practiced medicine for more than 25 years. He served as chief of cardiac and thoracic surgery at Garfield Medical Center in Los Angeles and is an Associate in Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, at UCLA. Widely published, Dr. Strom is a nationally renowned expert in the fields of healthcare information systems, healthcare change and healthcare quality. While continuing to practice as a cardiovascular surgeon, Strom became deeply involved in the search for a solution to the burgeoning healthcare crisis in America. In 2005 Strom spent time with Dr. John Sarno at the Rusk Institute for Rehabilitative Medicine learning Dr. Sarno's unique approach to chronic pain (Tension Myositis Syndrome). The confluence of Strom's experience in these three crucial areas - traditional clinical medicine, medical acupuncture and TMS - has inspired his distinctive view of healthcare delivery, based on a fusion of the applicable tenets of all three. "We must give patients more responsibility for their own care; and most importantly, we must give both doctors and patients a doctor/patient relationship."

1370 Stewart Street
Suite 202
Seattle, WA 98100
(425) 922-7576
(425)669-7500 fax
Mailing address: P. O. Box 3446, Bellevue, WA 98009

mark@acupunctureassoc.com

Edited by - tennis tom on 11/10/2014 18:59:46
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  22:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acupuncture and TMS? That is an interesting combination.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  23:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mac1986

Mark Strom has been mentioned on this forum on several other threads, including Toms.

HIT SEARCH BUTTON
MATCH EXACT PHRASE

Like I said search is great, good luck.

Could Acupuncture be used as a nerve blocker? If so it would be like a pain killer!

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Mac1986

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  09:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I tried the search function and found his name mentioned several times but no experiences were posted. I will be sure to share my experience after my appointment Friday. He did state that he has treated pelvic pain in the past so that is hopeful. Thanks again for your feedback. Alix I have read your thread and comments and you have given me a great deal if hope. Last night when I went to bed I had the normal nerve pain. I just began to think about anything and everything I could possibly be angry about and my pain diminished considerably. I hope I am on the right track. Thanks again everyone.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  12:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mac1986,

I believe you are on the right track, remember you could be harboring anger from past present or even future events, maybe a combination of all three.

Good luck Friday

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  13:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mac1986,

"I just began to think about anything and everything I could possibly be angry about and my pain diminished considerably."

Kudos to you for saying this, I remember it took another poster 71 posts before getting to this point.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  13:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Alix I have read your thread and comments and you have given me a great deal if hope. Last night when I went to bed I had the normal nerve pain. I just began to think about anything and everything I could possibly be angry about and my pain diminished considerably.

Mac1986: EXCELLENT SIGN !!! I would call that a definite green light ... keep going in that direction then.

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  14:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good Mac1986. Keep doing it even if you don't feel that you get benefits every time. Consistency is key.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000