TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 I want to Believe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ouchies

Ireland
2 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  03:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. My problem is upper limb repetative strain injury from what I think is too much computer use, repetative actions in my job.

I found out about John Sarno's theory on TMS on the internet and bought his book. I really want to believe in this concept. The spam like plugging of this book on the internet is a major roadblock to me for buying into the concepts for recovery from TMS. If I don't fully believe that reason is in my mind and not my physical body then obviously I cannot recover.

I've read blogs about it written in the same style as when people are trying to desperately sell you something on the internet, where they deperately try to sell you something in a try-hard manner. One finished with "and if you don't believe me, head over to Amazon where you can read all the positive reviews as proof" and of course buy the book I thought. I was really disappointed when I read the reviews. There are mostly 5 stars and the reviews are written in the candy coated over the top style of an internet scammer. If they showed more sublety and wrote like a real person would talk I would be more convinced, but it just seems so transparantly faked. There are people coming on pain forums and stomping over members posts and posting links to where you can buy the book and this will you cure you end of story. It seems to me like there is a team of people just pushing this TMS idea on the internet to buy the books.

I really want to believe in this so I can be cured and I'm hoping I have mis-interpreted the salesman-like pushing of this book on the net. Those Amazon reviews are just a bit hard for me to swallow and other stuff I've come across has just raised too many red flags. But I so want to believe and keep looking for reasons to convince myself.

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  08:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ouchies,

All you have to do is read a book. You have been put off to TMS by your chronic pain. Conventional medicine has failed you. No TMS'er is trying to sell you anything. Your investment so far has been anywhere from 1 cent + $3.99 shipping for a used (probably unread copy) of Sarno or $25 for a new one. BTW, many TMS'ers, including authors like Steven Ozanich, threw the book across the room after opening it and the being angered by the suggestion that "It was all in one's head." The pain is real, but emanates from the sub-conscious and works it's way out to the body.

HOW MUCH HAVE YOU SPENT ON DOCTORING, X-RAYING, THERAPYING, GADGETTING, GIZMOING, PILLING, GUINESSING, HOMEOPATHING SO FAR FOR YOUR PAIN SYMPTOM??? If they'ed "cured" you, you wouldn't still be searching and winding up here.

Dr.Sarno has never done a book tour. Authors of TMS books don't make much if any money off their books--their books are vestiges of their TMS GOODISM. To receive the TMS "CURE", you have to accept the theory, it can be over a period of time depending on your life and it's story. BELIEF in the theory of psychosomatic causes for pain is the critical factor in the TMS cure--all it takes is a change of mind.

If you believe in psychology as a science and a branch of medicine, then you can believe in TMS--it's applied psychology--defense mechanisms, Pavlovian conditioning, repression, suppression, depression, fear, anxiety, etc., etc.

If you feel your're being scammed or spammed, then follow the money--no one here is asking you for any (but if you want to leave me in your will or give me a hot stock tip I wouldn't mind). What you're seeing in the Amazon reviews is the growing wave of chronic pain sufferers, who by desperation or accident, discovered the Good Doctor's books and had their ah-ha moment, and out of TMS Goodism wanted to share.

IF your RSI is TMS, then it's not the problem--I'm not going to give the plot away, read the book and the "SUCCESS STORIES" sub-forum here.

No one paid me to write this (but if I got ten cents for every word I've written here I could buy a share of Amazon stock).

Cheers,
tt/lsmft

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 01/15/2015 18:30:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  10:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ouchies
If I don't fully believe that reason is in my mind and not my physical body then obviously I cannot recover.

You are already ahead of the game with this insightful comment.

This is not some scam to sell books. Dr. Sarno is a prestigious medical doctor who made a breakthrough discovery that the mind can create symptoms. He has decades of real clinical experience to back up his claims.

Frankly if you have not even read the book, I don't see how you can come to conclusions based solely on the comments of strangers. I suggest you ignore the reviews, read the book and judge for yourself. It's a small investment with potentially huge return.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  21:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book is $12 on Amazon, it's the only thing you need, and you think it's a scam? Sounds like your mind is really getting funny in the way it looks for excuses! Especially since you already get it, that if you do believe, you'll get better. Kind of like TMS pain getting silly the way it looks for openings to convince us we have a problem.

I didn't totally believe at first either. A lot of people don't I guess. I was told about the book about 3 years before I picked it up again but disregarded the comment because it sounded nonsensical. And I probably paid many hundreds of $$ in treatment, maybe thousands, compared to a $12 book that finally fixed things. That's like anti-spam, in my mind.

I think the RSI success stories in this forum are quite good to read (okay, mine is one of them, so I'm biased ). I also like Rachel's site http://podolsky.everybody.org/rsi because it's nice and simple.

TMS is a tricky bastard. Good luck in your journey!

--
What were you expecting?
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  01:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouchies may I suggest that in conjunction with this forum where u will get plenty of good advice & help that you visit the TMS wiki site

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/The_Tension_Myositis_Syndrome_Wiki

Here you will find more than you will ever need to make up yr mind about whether TMS is for u or not and u won't have to spend a cent. There is all the background to TMS or MBS, there is a 42 day Structured Educational Programme (absolutely free) with lots of free resources. A forum where u can ask for help or just post stuff & where TMS practioners answer questions for free.

There r video/audio links, twice a week chat-ins and a treasure trove of useful information.

Nobody to my knowledge has ever tried to sell us anything and I don't think u will find that sort of thing either here on this forum or there.

Posters here r ppl who have recovered or are looking for ways to recover & its a journey we r all taking together & discovering things together since TMS is not mainstream medicine & is relatively new although the concepts are not.

If Sarno wanted to make money, God knows he had more than ample opportunity. In fact when i emailed him & asked if I could visit he simply replied by saying I should read the book & 'do the work' & I know that this is true of many ppl who tried to contact him.

So check it out & give it a chance or should I say give yrself a chance.

Mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Ouchies

Ireland
2 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  06:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Hi Ouchies,

All you have to do is read a book. You have been put off to TMS by your chronic pain. Conventional medicine has failed you. No TMS'er is trying to sell you anything. Your investment so far has been anywhere from 1 cent + $3.99 shipping for a used (probably unread copy) of Sarno or $25 for a new one. BTW, many TMS'ers, including authors like Steven Ozanich, threw the book across the room after opening it and the being angered by the suggestion that "It was all in one's head." The pain is real, but emanates from the sub-conscious and works it's way out to the body.

HOW MUCH HAVE YOU SPENT ON DOCTORING, X-RAYING, THERAPYING, GADGETTING, GIZMOING, PILLING, GUINESSING, HOMEOPATHING SO FAR FOR YOUR PAIN SYMPTOM??? If they'ed "cured" you, you wouldn't still be searching and winding up here.

Dr.Sarno has never done a book tour. Authors of TMS books don't make much if any money off their books--their books are vestiges of their TMS GOODISM. To receive the TMS "CURE", you have to accept the theory, it can be over a period of time depending on your life and it's story. BELIEF in the theory of psychosomatic causes for pain is the critical factor in the TMS cure--all it takes is a change of mind.

If you believe in psychology as a science and a branch of medicine, then you can believe in TMS--it's applied psychology--defense mechanisms, Pavlovian conditioning, repression, suppression, depression, fear, anxiety, etc., etc.

If you feel your're being scammed or spammed, then follow the money--no one here is asking you for any (but if you want to leave me in your will or give me a hot stock tip I wouldn't mind). What you're seeing in the Amazon reviews is the growing wave of chronic pain sufferers, who by desperation or accident, discovered the Good Doctor's books and had their ah-ha moment, and out of TMS Goodism wanted to share.

IF your RSI is TMS, then it's not the problem--I'm not going to give the plot away, read the book and the "SUCCESS STORIES" sub-forum here.

No one paid me to write this (but if I got ten cents for every word I've written here I could buy a share of Amazon stock).

Cheers,
tt/lsmft

It can be disheartening in terms of making the belief leap when I see people who just want to make some money based off the TMS recovery method, which appears to be this guy Ryan Walsh at "mindoverpain.org". He wants to give you a free consultation initially promising results and if you don't see results he will send you 200 dollars out of his own pocket. Ultimately he wants to sign you onto a recovery programme costing around 2500dollars. Maybe his methods work but he also sees an opportunity to make money. I see that the internet is full of people promising cures if you just take these drugs, drink this or buy that. I'm just a little wary of something that seems too good to be true.

Dr. Sarno does have very good credentials which is encouraging. I think he charged alot for his lectures when he was doing them, I think 1000dollars if I remember correctly. And the books would still have been a good money spinner. Of course books are the method of delivery for the TMS recovery info and he had to charge something. I'm still weighing up if this is a cure or a placebo.

I wonder will there ever come a day when the TMS recovery method will be accepted into mainstream medical treatment, and also if it's so effective why hasn't it happened before now. Naturally mainstream medicine and various alternative practices would dismiss TMS and want to preserve their own beliefs and businesses. Chiropracty, physio etc all have enough bad things to say about each other as it is. If mainstream and other alternative medicine continue to reject it shouldn't its effective results over-ride the negative criticism and thus TMS establish its place as a household name in society.

I didn't make it clear in my initial post, I did read the book cover to cover and journaled for 4 days. I haven't dismissed the possibility it can work and I probably do need to do more work on finding mental machanisms, thoughts patterns, and conditioning my brain into particular states that are conducive to banishing the TMS that has hijacked my nervous system.

I've spent over 2000euros on a chiropractor, 100euro on two different GPs, 500euro on rheumotoligist consultations, and about 500euro on physio. The physio I'm seeing at the moment says that if I build up my core strenght it should be the cure for my RSI. My overworked upper trapezius muscles are bearing too much load and causing tightness. Once I go through around 3-4 months of physio rehab my plan is to return to the book and journaling if this physio fails.

Tennis Tom I'll be leaving my estate to my cat in my will and I don't have any stock tips, but if the book works for me and you ever visit Ireland I'll give you a tip on a horse and buy you Guinness all night.

Thank you all for your replies.

Edited by - Ouchies on 01/16/2015 06:26:38
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  09:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouchies, don't over-think this TMS ****, it's not rocket science. TMS will never be mainstream until Oprah and Letterman say it should be so. Then it will only be popular until the next head-line comes along. The human brain, in it's current stage of evolution, needs psychosomatic pain for PROTECTION, as a DEFENSE MECHANISM, to keep from having to face it's emotional issues, like: "Why am I stuck in my ****ty life and will it be like this always until I die?" or other important issues like "I TOLD THAT WAITRESS THAT I DIDN'T WANT MAYONNAISE ON MY HAMBURGER!"

If that TMS guy want's to make money selling TMS I got no problem with that because it really works and shrinking heads doesn't work unless you pay for it--it's got to hurt some or you don't feel like you earned it.

What's wrong with making a buck?? Do you work for free? How do you pay your rent? Trading someone acorns for some obsidian is a lot more peaceful then punching out and looting some poor shopkeeper. You've pissed enough away on dox and all that other crap that hasn't work for you, are they going to give you your money back? You're sub-c is working overtime to figure out a way to hang onto to your TMS so you don't have to face your ISSUES. If you want to see them look at the Rahe-Holmes list in my sig below--there's your TMS SCIENCE!

If you read the book and it doesn't resonate, then throw it across the room--that worked for SteveO who wrote "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION", which should be retitled TMS for Dummies. If you need more proof read his book. Your problem is you are not steeped in belief, it requires BELIEF in the Good Doctor's theory for it to work--try going to church and learn how to believe or go to some kundalini yoga classes--what-ever floats your boat.

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 01/16/2015 09:42:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  10:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ouchies
It can be disheartening in terms of making the belief leap when I see people who just want to make some money based off the TMS recovery method...

We live in a capitalist society. There will always be people looking to make money. This is certainly not limited to TMS. Search for "back pain" on Google and you'll find endless advertisements for books, supplements, braces, etc. all promising relief. If this is disheartening to you then you need to examine your own beliefs, and question why you allow yourself to be influenced by such things.
quote:
I wonder will there ever come a day when the TMS recovery method will be accepted into mainstream medical treatment, and also if it's so effective why hasn't it happened before now.

We live in a capitalist society. Billions and billions of dollars would be at stake if the medical community at large accepted TMS. Do you really think the industry would openly embrace an idea that patients can be helped without expensive medications, surgeries, physical therapy, and other traditional treatments? I'm afraid Dr. Sarno's work will never be fully appreciated, at least not in our lifetimes.
quote:

I didn't make it clear in my initial post, I did read the book cover to cover and journaled for 4 days.

Recovery from TMS requires 100% commitment. Those who expect rapid relief from symptoms are doomed to fail. Successful recovery requires a life-long change in the way you think about and react to the symptoms. It is a difficult reconditioning process that takes persistence and time. Successful recovery requires a long-term view without being derailed by lack of progress or setbacks. It requires fighting the doubt that will inevitably creep back in. It requires a "leap of faith" that if you commit to changing your thoughts and behavior permanently, that the symptoms will eventually fade. That includes stopping all physical treatments that reinforce the idea that the pain is due to structural problems.

It is not easy, and many people will fail because they are unable to truly accept that the symptoms are psychogenic and make the fundamental life changes required for long-term recovery.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2015 :  06:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave that is really an amazing answer and conveys the truths about this process perfectly!

Edited by - Ace1 on 01/17/2015 06:06:27
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2015 :  09:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Complete recovery from TMS might require a lifelong 100% commitment, etc, but to get little SIGNS from your own body that you are moving in the right direction can happen right away. I personally don't believe there has to be 100% commitment 100% belief right away. One can "stick one's toe in the water" and work with some of the mind-body ideas and see what happens! That is what I did and over a very short period of time (weeks, not months) I knew I was on the right track, just from the feedback I was getting from my SELF ... not from a book, a web site or from anyone selling anything, or anything OUTSIDE myself, but feedback from my own body.

You don't have to have 100% commitment or belief just to get started.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2015 :  17:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I haven't dismissed the possibility it can work and I probably do need to do more work on finding mental machanisms, thoughts patterns, and conditioning my brain into particular states that are conducive to banishing the TMS that has hijacked my nervous system.

The physio I'm seeing at the moment says that if I build up my core strenght it should be the cure for my RSI. My overworked upper trapezius muscles are bearing too much load and causing tightness. Once I go through around 3-4 months of physio rehab my plan is to return to the book and journaling if this physio fails.

Man, it annoys me when people get on about how TMS is a lifelong thing when talking to people new to it. Sure it is, in terms of tendency, but it only took me three months to recover from my three-year bout of RSI and have my life back.

Mostly what you need to do is stop believing the nonsense that your physio is feeding you. Core strength is great, but you don't need it to overcome RSI. Your trapezius muscles are fine (they're probably tight like most people's, but that doesn't meant they're weak). You don't need to do a lot of mental machinations or uncover great insight into yourself. You do need to believe that the pain in your body is generated by your brain, and that you're not going to let it determine the choices you make about what you do in your life (I write this to remind myself as well :). You might find some deconditioning stuff helpful but the main thing is to take steps to get back to normal life. Whatever you're avoiding, stop avoiding it. Do a bit more. With RSI I did longer stretches of computering, more housework, stopped using comfort aids like arm pillows for sleeping...etc. Basically ramp gradually up on whatever's previously been triggering your symptoms.

It's pretty basic. You don't have to stop seeing your physio (although Dave will disagree with me, I guarantee it) but you have to believe your physio's just helping you get healthier and the real change will come from your own body and brain.

After you go through the initial recovery you might have more work to do, but you might not. The initial stages should give you confidence, like RSR said, and you can find your own journey.

--
What were you expecting?
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2015 :  05:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello ACL,

There was a previous recent post where Dave and I had a discussion and we both did agree that in some people, just the belief that the symptoms are mind generated is enough to sometimes make them go away. This is because the constant fear of the symptoms are gone and the constant focusing and behavior centered around symptoms goes away. This is as you describe very well. However, this approach does not work by itself for people who have severe tms (the ones dr sarno mentions needs psychotherapy). I was one of these people.

I also believe that there are illnesses that people do not classify as tms and when the symptoms shift into these illnesses the original symptom is thought to be "cured" when in reality the person is still just as sick. I had 2 patients of mine who read dr sarnos book and were cured in a matter of weeks to months as you describe. However neither one of these patients were really cured. One had a worsening in her diabetes, the other developed cancer. I am not saying that one who does it this way will necessarly develop a illness that is worse, but it is possible.

When you just approach treating tms as mentioned above, yes you might get rid of your symptoms, but you are also more prone to having recurrences. The change that I list makes you better and better at resistance to disease. The problem is it is very difficult and time consuming.

People for whom dr sarnos approach works for quickly will know on their own right away. They will not need to come to this forum to find out more tips. Did you when you recovered in 3 months? I think the ones needing more help or keep getting recurrences will need to heed the advice of it being a long term process of years.

Edited by - Ace1 on 01/18/2015 05:10:22
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  20:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouchies, In the US the money thing doesn't come up wrt the books, necessarily, as every mid sized town library carries these books ...or provides digital access... and library cards are free. Glad you got one of the books however you got it. I do see HBP in some catalogs in Ireland, but only that one it seems from a few random checks.

You ask when it will be mainstream, and really the basic ideas have been for decades. The DSM (US medical community and referenced in several countries) covers somatic illnesses and has for a while, as does the ICD (international). Physicians are quite aware of the psychological element but are generally far too afraid of pissing anyone off by suggesting it.

Don't be put off by people who are confused about evidence and proof. this is pretty universal if you are talking to folks outside the scientific community. It doesn't make people wrong about the experiences they describe just because they over reach the meaning to be derived from them.
Go to Top of Page

fibri

Belgium
56 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  09:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]You don't have to have 100% commitment or belief just to get started.

I agree. I've known about TMS for about 8 years now; reading HBP cured me after 1.5 years of really severe back pain that was making my life a misery. I've never had back pain since, but when life gets stressful I get other symptoms. Generally (if it's been a couple of years since I was sick) I do all the usual - I totally forget all about TMS, and instead I worry, I go to doctors, I take meds and homeopathy, and nothing helps. Then one day it hits me: what the hell was I smoking... it's just TMS again! I've been fooled like this again and again. Once the TMS lightbulb goes on, it all gets better.

I've realised that it always happens when I'm under a lot of stress and TMS is doing it's job exceedingly well by distracting me.

I do believe in TMS theory 100 percent, but I forget, and get sidetracked. And it's really hard when you can't even talk about it to anyone close to you because they look at you like you've got two heads (at best) and at worst get angry with you for "talking nonsense". My husband tolerates occasional references to TMS but if I really try to talk about what's happening he get's mad and says stuff like "you shouldn't get so stressed about X, Y or Z. You've got to calm down!" (I love him a lot but yeah, psychology isn't his forte.) Like, d'uh, I'd love to not get stressed. How do you do that exactly?

Ouchies, I'm Irish too (so you have to trust me, right? :-) !!!) and I don't know any of the people getting money from TMS. But I wrote some of those glowing reviews on Amazon because finding out about TMS has changed my life. I've read all the books I can, when TMS hits, because I do have old issues as well as current stressors, and the books help me figure things out in my head.

It takes work, and it's hard, and I can't count the number of times I've told myself "I know this is TMS but I'd rather have the pain/allergy/whatever than face my issues head on." Also, I've talked to my brain saying "I know this is TMS and thank you for using this to signal to me that my stress level is off the scale and I need to deal with it. I'm aware of that and I promise I'll slow down and deal with it AFTER I've finished this project / AFTER this important meeting / AFTER this stressful life event is over."

I'm currently on sick leave for burnout so you can tell how successful that particular strategy has been! However, since I came back here and realised this is all TMS again, I've been improving daily. The people here are great - full of wisdom and experience regarding TMS. They're here to share that, in order to help others, not to make money. And I am profoundly grateful to them for that.

I strongly recommend you read The Great Pain Deception. It's so real and true, it's very powerful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000