TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Best interview wid Dr. Schubiner about pelvic pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  19:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this link Dr Schubiner is interviewed by Abigail Steidley about pelvic pain & he gives very good reasons & evidence as to why he thinks this is most definitely a mindbody syndrome. He answers questions many of us have about IC, vulvodynia, PN etc. such as

How do we know that the pain is MBS & not something structural?

How do we get past the notion that the pain is not dangerous?

Why increasing activity is important?

Why pelvic pain is a physiological reaction & not a pathological one & the difference between the 2.

It is truly an enlightening interview & if I may humbly suggest do find yourself a quiet place with pen & paper & really listen to what he has to say & make notes. It is very powerful!

http://vulvodyniacoach.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/schubiner-interview1.mp3

Hope this helps.

Mala

"It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know
what sort of disease a person has." ~ Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.)

Mala Singh Barber on Facebook

Edited by - mala on 01/15/2015 19:06:52

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2015 :  09:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mala! (and for your post in the other thread too.)

I would say I got a lot out of Dr Schubiner's interview ... the only one thing I was very wary about, was how his general thoughts on increasing activity would play out for those with those who have been dx'd or who have some kind of Chronic Fatigue. In that case I think his advice on increasing activity would be very detrimental (my own experience.)

I found this advice (from Balto. I think) much more helpful in my own situation:

"Don't force physical activities on ourself. We don't need to prove to our mind that we are physically healthy when we are really not. The main goal is to reduce the tension. Do only the activities that your body is comfortable doing."

Maybe increasing activity as a general rule in pelvic pain disorders or other TMS situations is helpful, I am just saying I don't think it fits in 100% of the cases 100% of the time.

BTW another thing I found interesting in the interview were his thoughts on ' how long it takes to recover.' I've been at this WAY over a year by now!!

~RSR

Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  19:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RSR, I personally believe that increasing activity is key to getting better even for ppl with CFS since that is just a more severe form of TMS. Dr. Sarno has always been very clear about this point in his books & has reiterated this point very emphatically when asked by his patients so I am inclined to believe he knows what he is talking about. Dr. Schubiner, Dr Sopher & SteveO believe the same too.

Of course this will be different for different ppl. If one's only mode of exercise was to walk around the mall before they were struck down by TMS then of course they should not suddenly start weightlifting or doing anything strenuous. However if someone was quite active & sporty , then they would need to get back to that familiar level of activity which would be normal for him or her.

For me it means walking, gentle hiking, yoga, some swimming & some dancing. I used to do more aerobics & cardio when I was younger but since I am 57 I would wait longer to get back into that if I ever do.

That's my view anyway.

How r you nowadays?

Have u visted the TMS wiki yet. Since my last post here there have been more ppl posting about pelvic pain there.

Take care.

Mala

Edited by - mala on 01/20/2015 17:42:02
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  09:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mala,

Well, my personal experience is that increasing activity in the way and amount I did it, was detrimental and not helpful, but I've never been dx'd w/ chronic fatigue either, and "increasing activity" can mean lots of different things anyway. I am pretty much a believer in Ace1's "strain hypothesis" and so I think that anything done in a strained way would not be particularly helpful. (like increasing activity can be done in a very strained way, so maybe that's where I went wrong.)

At the same time, I do agree with you that one cannot really deal effectively with TMS *without* increasing activity in some way, but I do think it has to be done effectively as opposed to ineffectively, (timing, amount, intensity, etc) which is not always so easy to discern.

I've checked out the tms wiki board, and I must say I found it rather overwhelming! This board seems to have slowed down dramatically, though.

My symptoms seem to flare up and down still. Currently in rather a flare-up, which impacts my quality of life in a very negative way, but not quite ready to try meds for it, either. I am doing more qigong which I am finding helpful overall, although don't know that it has had much *direct* impact on my TMS symptoms; well, not so far anyway, but kind of hard to tell... maybe I would be a lot worse if I wasn't doing it.

I read a really interesting book lately: "Teach Us to Sit Still - A Skeptic's search for health and healing" by Tim Parks. It is a very graphic story of his chronic pain experiences (pelvic pain), how he worked with the ideas from the "Headache in the Pelvis" book and went on to do meditation retreats, etc. He had clearly resolved his pelvic pain problems well before the end of the book. I did find the way he articulated some of his experiences quite riveting.

I wish I was having more success at reducing my own symptoms.
How are you doing, nowadays? Did you find the breathing practice you posted about has helped your pain? (BTW thanks again for posting about it; I think that's what got me started on my latest good round of qigong!)

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2015 :  06:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RSR,
After my op the pain got quite bad. There was a lot going on inside & it was a big surgery so it meant healing would take time. My gp recommended I see a TCM practioner who does acupuncture & gives herbal medicine so I did. The lady practioner has had a lot of experience with all kinds of patients & Tcm as u probably know takes into acct not only physical symptoms but personality, stress, behaviour etc. so I have been doing acupuncture once a week & taking herbals meds. I got quite a bit of relief quite quickly especially coz she kept telling to relax my muscles & also do visualisation.

About 6 weeks ago I decided to up the exercise & since then I have been hiking about 3 times a week about 3 hrs each time. This is serious hiking with lots of ups & downs & steep rocky trails. In the beginning the pain of course got worse but I perservered & then there was hardly any, maybe sometimes a bit so that boosted my confidence.

I was able to lose a bit of weight too & am now at 60 kilos . I need to lose another say 3 to 4 kilos since I'm only 5 ft 4 ins and I'll be happy.

I have been in Bangkok the last week and have been trying to walk 5 to 6 Kms at least everyday. It's not easy in 32 degrees heat but I'm persevering. The pain has come back slightly since yesterday but I am doing my best to ignore it.

I have been writing a short journal every night ( only takes 3 to 4 mins) & making sure that part of it includes daily gratitude

I know what u mean by slow traffic here but it's all happening there.

How about you? Would love to hear how things have been going for you. The Qigong practice sounds good & hope it's helping.

Take care

Mala

Edited by - mala on 02/21/2015 06:35:33
Go to Top of Page

Rile84

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  01:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mala

I like your signature.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000