TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What if TMS cause is a continuous situation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mart

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  21:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a person to do if they fully buy into the TMS diagnosis (and feel 1000% better about their crippling carpal tunnel syndrome, realizing that it WAS NOT a long, slow, painful loss of the use of their hands ) but their ongoing situation was one of stress? I for one live from month to month, struggling to pay the bills, and I know that this is one of the root causes of my TMS. How is it possible to psychologically beat TMS if you have to go back and deal with the same, very real ongoing stress indefinitely? This surely applies to ANY situation where you have to deal with a problem but you do not have full control over it. It could be any ongoing situation with another person or entity where you have no choice but to continue with the relationship but have little control. The "little control" aspect would keep the TMS going wouldn't it? How do you deal with that?

mart

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  21:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to clarify: that 5-year-old cortex of mine will be throwing a screaming tantrum every time the rent payment is looming. Sure - I can accept rage and other negative emotions about other stuff, get over them and assimilate them as part of dealing with the pain, but the rent never goes away...
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  13:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mart:
While living within ones means is I’m sure a challenge for most people there are those with relatively meager incomes that appear to be free of stress as a result of that challenge. My experience has been that chronic “income stress” is almost always due to chronic “bad choices”. For example such people may be living beyond their means or may be stuck in a failed career and afraid to breaking out in a new direction. Often these bad choices are the result of an effort to establish and/or maintain a false identity.
At one point in my life even though I held a highly desirable position I was literally unable to afford rent. My solution was to buy a 3 family house and get a roommate to share my apartment in the house. Because I had a job I was able to get a mortgage and the result was that I was able to live rent-free for the next couple of years. You might not be in the same circumstances but you must be willing to identify those stress-causing circumstances that you can change.
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

mart

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  20:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks peregrines buts that's assuming a lot about me. I am extremely frugal, I guarantee that I work as hard as you do. I have minimized my outgoings and indulge in no luxuries. Regardless of all that, what if it wasn't even about money? What if there is some other circumstance that a person does not have full control over. I can think of various other situations that have nothing to do with money. In that situation, does the TMS keep coming back? I realize that many people seem to experience the same symptoms after curing themselves, but are able to shrug them off. I'm just feeling out for some advice here regarding these sort of circumstances, which I'm sure others have encountered or are still dealing with.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  21:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mart
What if there is some other circumstance that a person does not have full control over ... In that situation, does the TMS keep coming back?

It is a good question. There are always aspects of life that we do not have full control over, and we cannot eliminate all our stress.

I believe that once you make the connection that the symptoms are related to underlying emotional issues, you can start to recondition yourself to react differently. You can more readily identify when TMS is "coming back" and disarm it.

It is not possible or necessary to eliminate the underlying issues, but you can accept the symptoms for what they are.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  13:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mart

I can think of various other situations that have nothing to do with money. In that situation, does the TMS keep coming back?

Mart:
Yes, at least in my opinion, chronic stress equals chronic TMS. Fortunately, the conflicts that result in stress are usually not chronic. Short people eventually realize that they are not tall and that resentment they feel for people who are actually tall vanishes.
Go to Top of Page

mart

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  18:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess my concern is that my cortex won't make the first breakthrough to give mr the initial relief and thus the experience of being able to shrug the pain off every subsequent occurrence. I completely believe the TMS is what I have, and I've written down and thought hard about past life rage/fear/sadness. I do still get distracted by the hand pain, but I go through phases of forgetting that it's there. I hope that this is enough that it starts to subside at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  19:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

[quote]Originally posted by mart
I guess my concern is that my cortex won't make the first breakthrough to give mr the initial relief and thus the experience of being able to shrug the pain off every subsequent occurrence.

It is counterproductive to put a timetable on recovery. It is best to have a long-term view. Just do the work and trust that over time, the symptoms will fade.

Don't over-think it. This is a common trap, as TMS-prone people tend to be intelligent and feel they can analyze their way out of it. You can't. The process is unconscious and stubborn and cannot be controlled. Accepting that fact is an important step.
Go to Top of Page

mart

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  09:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]
Don't over-think it. This is a common trap, as TMS-prone people tend to be intelligent and feel they can analyze their way out of it. You can't. The process is unconscious and stubborn and cannot be controlled. Accepting that fact is an important step.

thanks for that advice. That's good to know
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000