TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Oxygen Deprivation Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  08:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to understand this. I have all of Dr.Sarno's books and Steve's. Dr. Sarno says that they found less oxygen in the cells of people with pain in the area where they have pain. How did they find this out? How does a doctor get to the cells and examine them?

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  10:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susan:
There are several ways of determining the saturation levels of oxygen in blood. One easy way is to use spectral photometry: an example are those little things they place on a finger tip. However, that low levels of oxygen are the immediate cause of TMS pain is only a theory and it may not be true for all types of TMS. Psychogenic physical effects may involve a profusion of blood (and oxygen) to the tissues as in the case of blushing. In any event, unless you are conducting research in the area, it isn’t an issue. The TMS mechanism or mechanisms are irrelevant to the patient. Dwelling on these issues only serves to distract you from your psychological stress which is after all, the purpose of TMS.
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  10:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Peregrinus. I understand about the dwelling. I totally have faith in Sarno's theory. I am just interested in the physiology for a moment. They always measure my oxygen with the little finger clip and it's usually 99-100. I just wonder how they know about a particular part of the body. If your leg hurts, how do they know that it's not getting enough oxygen...how do they test just that part as compared to your arm...or is Sarno saying that your whole body isn't getting sufficient oxygen?

Another question is what happens if you start jogging when the pain starts...wouldn't that bring oxygen everywhere? I am not talking about pain relief as I know there are other factors but physiologically I want to understand this.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  12:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susan828

Another question is what happens if you start jogging when the pain starts...wouldn't that bring oxygen everywhere? I am not talking about pain relief as I know there are other factors but physiologically I want to understand this.

Susan:
Your question is one I find interesting and that I have thought about often. Several participants in this forum have reported that exercise, once initiated, lessens or eliminates what is thought to be TMS pain. My experience has been the same. It lends credence to Sarno’s theory of blood flow. However, I think there are other pain pathways involved. For example, inflammation can cause pain and can be aggravated by emotional stress. Indeed, some think conditions such as asthma, which are not necessarily accompanied by pain,fall under the TMS umbrella.
To answer your first question, one can measure the Doppler effects caused by blood flow in targeted areas of the body. A drop in blood flow from the baseline indicates less oxygen is being delivered.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  12:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susan828

I would like to understand this. I have all of Dr.Sarno's books and Steve's. Dr. Sarno says that they found less oxygen in the cells of people with pain in the area where they have pain. How did they find this out? How does a doctor get to the cells and examine them?

If you go to the bottom of page 4 of SteveO's "GDP", it will lead you to the studies Dr. Sarno cited to postulate his theory. Also pages 62-63 of the Good Doctor's "HBP", citing German studies: "...microscopic changes in nuclei of biopsied muscle cells..."

The scientific evidence is there for TMS, also the Rahe-Holmes stressors list.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  14:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks much, Tom!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic