TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 struggling with urinary urgency
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah Jacoba

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  15:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have "beat" TMJ and upper body (shoulder/arm) pain but I really struggle with constant urinary urgency. with my various symptoms in the past, I have to confess knowing it's TMS is often not enough. I had to find something to break the feedback loop of pain - fear - panic - nerves - more pain. For TMJ it was chewing gum constantly, for the upper body pain it was actually (believe it or not) sticking little squares of duct tape on pressure points. but with the urgency thing, I can't figure out what that helper is. I just need something to drive a small wedge between my brain and my body on this one...

--Sarah Hyacinth Jacoba
"When dream and day unite"

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  18:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get an RX for symptomatic relief. I got Flomax for men and it worked great. I've seen commercials for the equivalent for women with UE. I also did the TMS thinking in regards to it and now I don't even need to go to the RX, knowing it's there just in case has done the trick.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

Emilsen

Denmark
12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  10:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah,

Some years ago, I struggled with frequent urination for a long period. I was going to the bathroom constantly, and almost nothing came out. I avoided drinking too much liquid, as I knew it would only make my symptoms worse.
I have over the years experienced some TMS symptoms which didn't leave me, in spite of a lot of mental work and "knowledge". In these cases, I had to remove my fear of the symptoms first. Easier said than done!
Just like you, I had to challenge my symptoms. F. ex. with reflux, I did the opposite of all advice. When the acid hit my throat, I drank a cup of coffee, ate chocolate, spicy food etc.
With frequent urination, I began each morning to drink a liter of water in one go. The next few hours, I hold myself, until I was almost about to explode. When I finally went to the toilet, I could void a lot. In the afternoon I repeated it all. After a few days, I could see that my symptoms were not worsening by drinking more. Besides making my brain understand that I did not have to pee all the time, I suppose that I also trained my bladder to contain more. After about a week the symptoms started to decrease.
I know how awful it feels having to urinate all the time, and I hope you soon get a relief of your symptoms!

All the best
Britt
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMillerMFT

2 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  11:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah,

Sounds like the one theme of your success is doing something to combat the urgency... but you haven't found something like that for urgency.

Maybe I suggest "labeling?" It's a wonderful technique whereby we simply say a word in our head to give name to our experience and note the experience. When you feel the need to pee, you could note "urgency" in your head and notice the urgency then. Often we note a few things in a row and when we do this we start to see what's really going on. "urgency, urgency, fear, thinking, frustration..."

It's less important what name we give the label and more important to just take a second or two to know what the experience feels like. This has a dual benefit of not only breaking our identification with the pain, fear, urgency - but also allowing us to experience the sense of emotions attached to the experience - for this "affect" is what many TMS clients struggle so hard to metabolize. The feeling of emotion can be uncomfortable so we repress it.

Anyways, when we label in a row, you start to see that loop of "pain-fear-panic-nerves-more-pain" that you mentioned.

Perhaps that will help.

Edited by - AndrewMillerMFT on 04/17/2015 11:57:57
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  20:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah, I say this not to scare you but when I hear that symptom, I have to tell you to make sure it's not actually something physiological. I had a bunch of symptoms that I attributed to TMS and it turned out to be ovarian cancer. I advise every woman to get a transvaginal ultrasound annually....not just an over the belly sonogram which doesn't show enough. If your gyn won't do it, find one who will.

Had I gotten one sooner instead of thinking it was irritable bowel syndrome, I wouldn't have caught it at such a late stage. Urgency is one of the first symptoms so check it out. Chances are you do not have this as it is only one out of 72 women but worth eliminating that possibility so you can proceed to treat it as TMS.

You can also get something called Multistix SG10 urine test strips and see if you have an infection or any amount of blood in your urine. It tests for 10 things and is over the counter (I get mine on Amazon).
Go to Top of Page

GTRMan

3 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  02:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Tennis Tom.... on your rec, got a prescription for Flomax. While I dont like to take stuff, I agree with the idea of having a tool in ones tool kit to take the edge off the anxiety about urinary symptoms (if I'm paraphrasing you right...)

question: how quickly should I expect Flomax to kick in? I took one pill at bedtime as instructed and saw no difference the next day. is it a cumulative medicine?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  09:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to take awhile to get back to you, been busy it's the events season, getting ready for a tournament. As far as the Flomax, now that I have it in my quiver--or my quiver's in it--I seldom need to take it. I got it maybe a decade ago for plane flights out of DC on a tip by a doctor friend who used it. All prostrates probably differ, as well as TMS urinary urgency circumstances. When in doubt follow instructions on the bottle, call your doc or pharmacist to answer questions--I'm only a tennis player. But, when I'm playing I never need to go for hours and hours--up to 4 hours--no, that's the blue pill. Maybe up to five of more hours, only after I stop playing, eat, drink and relax. Funny how when you're doing something you like and are TMS positively distracted, you don't have to go, and go, and go.

Back to your question, be patient. I don't know if it's cumulative. With me it seems if I pop one when driving it kicks right in--could also be the TMS placebo effect--all I know is it works. My bottle says take two before bedtime but mine's a generic and may be a different size capsule then yours. Directions say they can also make you drowsy, so I wouldn't take when driving or operating "heavy equipment"...blah, blah, blah...until you see how you function--or don't.

If you want to be an "internet expert", you can probably find a Flomax discussion group, but googling for TMS'ers, or anyone in a heightened state of mindbody health anxiety is usually a bad idea--just don't believe all the lawyered-up boilerplate warnings of bad stuff like your schmekle falling off.

So bottom line, BE PATIENT, consult with your doc, uro, or pharmacist and observe how your mindbody reacts to it. Hopefully in a while, days, weeks, years, it will be enough to just keep a sample bottle in your TMS med cabinet for a rainy day--or a drought.

Cheers & hang in there,
tt (I'm a tennis player not a doctor).

Edited by - tennis tom on 05/15/2015 09:23:06
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  12:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah,
Summer of 2013 I was going down a rabbit hole with urgency, burning, and running to every doctor who all wanted to go down the road of interstitial cystitis. Knowing full well that IC is a TMS equivalent (because it's idiopathic), I immediately stopped in my tracks and took a second look. I suspected it was TMS but symptoms were so severe I kept chasing the rabbit down the hole. I was dating someone who on some small levels, was not really being the boyfriend I had hoped for. He was beginning to be a tad condescending and belittling toward me. I had my concerns but I guess I just soldiered on thinking that it wasn't related to his treating me kind of crappy. I think deep inside I knew he is not the right guy for me but I wanted to see for sure. Then I confronted him about his bad behaviors, all of them, in one shot conversation. I did not yell at him, I just said what I needed to in an adult way and two days later we broke up. Guess what? All my symptoms disappeared. So again, listen to your body. When my female parts start acting up, there's something sexually charged or relationship charged that is bringing it on. That's true for me anyway. Hope that helps. Mary

Edited by - marytabby on 06/16/2015 12:18:43
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  12:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came across this vintage thread by accident about UU, or "feeling" like you have to pee all the time. Or, maybe it's all the flooding we're having out West, due to the "atmospheric river of rain" in the skies--I guess they were right all along "the sky IS falling", one drop at a time. It's probably ten years or more since I got my RX for Flomax--I'm older so "logically" my symptoms should be worsening--but TMS-emanating from the gremlin in the sub-c, is NOT logical--I now very rarely take my Flomax. Nor do I get UU, or give it a worrisome thought.

I realized at some time, that I am positively distracted, like when I'm playing tennis, that I didn't need to visit the porcelain prayer booth for many hours--like from 8am to 1pm--not a drop or a thought, until I was done playing, and eating and drinking Arnold Palmers afterwards.

So, it was all in my heads. My personal scientific, non-test-tube proof, that MY UU was largely TMS, and I'm not bragging, but I could easily fill a test-tube at the lab if required--or a catheter bag-full.

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 01/12/2017 13:01:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000