TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Wrestling and Knees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cecowe

68 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  01:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a real high injury chance? I mean a structural injury or it's all in the head?

summabody

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  10:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely you can incur acute injuries to your knees from wrestling. But these will heal within their expected time frames with proper treatment. It's the lingering, chronic (past the expected healing time) overuse stuff that's likely TMS.

Psychosomatic doesn't mean in your head as in imaginary, but due to some unconscious emotion or process - the "cause" is in the mind which affects the nervous system which causes real pain you experience.

Unfortunately sports medicine doctors and orthopedists typically always believe pain is due to structure, and who can blame them - it is seemingly obvious that A causes B. That's why when runners get shin splints or tennis players get tendinitis or office workers get carpal tunnel it's blamed as overuse. Wrestlers have bad knees? Overuse.

Sarno's theory is that there is no overuse syndrome. The subconscious is very good at choosing areas of our body that we will believe are damaged so we can focus and obsess on them, and they can restrict the activity our subconscious chooses to take away from us.

This is reinforced my medical professionals who will tell you to rest, back off, quit your sport, use aids like wrist braces, crutches, kin tape, go to physio, get surgery, etc.

This gives you a subconscious and conscious picture of your body that it's fragile, which often intensifies the pain because it throws some nice gasoline of anxiety into the mix. If you're avoiding something you love like wrestling, and have to miss meets, competitions etc that puts more mental strain on yourself - anger, frustration, impatience, disappointment, loss of "identity" if it's wrapped up in your sport, envy of your teammates, etc.

Sarno believes there's a personality type susceptible to TMS: perfectionist, goodist, driven, hard on themselves, high achieving, disciplined, and a repressor of emotion (be tough!).

Wrestling particularly is a demanding sport physically and mentally. It's competitive (anxiety inducing). It's punishing to diet so hard and cut weight fast to compete, with all the anxiety that comes with "I might not make weight class." It imposes rules and restrictions on your lifestyle that's ENRAGING to your subconscious "id", imposed by a perfectionistic and driven super-ego.

Then there's why people wrestle. If it's to belong to the team, please a father, get that school scholarship, prove yourself, feel powerful - whatever it is - the subconscious may be trying to speak through pain to get one to QUIT and relieve the inner tension that is causing the rage that's being suppressed. THE BODY SAYS NO (A great book by Gabor Mate everyone should read - the psychological causes of disease).

Is your body saying no to wrestling by creating the pain? Or was it an acute injury due to an aggressive hold that has been diagnosed and is following the natural pattern of recovery? Dead giveaway for TMS is that it comes and goes, moves around (say from one knee to the other), varies in intensity, and doesn't seem to heal after a long time.

Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2015 :  17:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do pro wrestling and get injuried a lot but if my injuries longer for more than a certain amount of time I consider it tms.

Sarno once mentioned either to me or in one of his books how football players etc would preform much better if they knew some of what they thought were injuries were really tms.

**Sure I can lay down on a bed of nails and not have pain but why am I having back pain when laying down on a soft mattress?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000