TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Severe back spasm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gazelle

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  20:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I've recovered from multiple TMS injuries: back, achilles tendon, shoulder, and even this year a finger injury that I was convinced was totally real. I'm a rock climber and I got the finger injury climbing and couldn't for one second believe it was TMS.

Well today, while I was climbing I had a huge back spasm. I've had them before but never while I was climbing. I came back down and it took lots of help to get back to a car, was driven home and have been sitting in one place ever since. The pain when I move is excrutiating and I've started writing out my feelings and doing my TMS protocol (sadly I forget it between injuries).

So my questions:

Do you think the spasms themselves are TMS? Lots of tension and stress lately and maybe I "set the stage"

I typically think my injuries are real but the hanging around bit is TMS. It usually takes me a week until I am back active after a spasm

I've heard about sudden TMS remissions - do many people get those. Have they after back spasms? Or are back spasms caused by emotions, manifests as a physical symptom and that physical symptom takes a few days to disperse?

I always feel that it takes a few days to take these things to go but is that me just programming myself?

I ended up climbing on my finger and it felt so painful but then it went.

I've yet to psyche up to walking upstairs (or taking my shoes off) today but is there a chance this could go tomorrow?

Lots of questions (and I have more) but I'd be really grateful for anyone's opinions.

Time to drag out the anger, hate and fear journal...

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  09:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gazzele,

Spasms are never fun. They use to drop me to the floor whenever I got them.

To answer your specific questions:

Do you think the spasms themselves are TMS? Absolutely. Those muscles are gasping for oxygen.

Here's an explanation from Ch 3 of my book:

1. Spasms: When a person is agitated about something and, consciously or unconsciously, represses those thoughts and feelings, they can manifest themselves as muscle spasms in various parts of the body. Spasm is the involuntary, often powerful, contraction of muscles.
a. Bronchial asthma: This is a condition of the lung characterized by widespread narrowing of the airways due to spasm of the smooth muscles. A professor who suffered from seven years of chronic bronchitis recovered rapidly following the techniques discussed in the upcoming chapters.
b. Angina: One of the causes of angina is spasm of coronary arteries, in which blood vessels narrow suddenly for a short time, leading to reduction of blood flow and chest pain.
c. Hiccups: The diaphragm helps us breathe. However, when it goes into spasm, we experience hiccups.
d. Leg cramps: These usually happen at night and are another manifestation of tension.
e. Spastic colon: The name says it all.
f. Facial tics: These are caused by spasm of the facial muscles."

So yes your statement that you have "Lots of tension and stress lately and maybe I "set the stage" is most likely true.

I typically think my injuries are real but the hanging around bit is TMS. It usually takes me a week until I am back active after a spasm" Since spams are due to sudden severe reduction of blood flow no reason to wait a week before becoming active.

I've heard about sudden TMS remissions - do many people get those. Have they after back spasms? Or are back spasms caused by emotions, manifests as a physical symptom and that physical symptom takes a few days to disperse? I always feel that it takes a few days to take these things to go but is that me just programming myself? Yes it is your mental programming.

I've yet to psyche up to walking upstairs (or taking my shoes off) today but is there a chance this could go tomorrow? Why not. Let go of fear. Take small steady and confident steps toward your recovery.

Take care,

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Go to Top of Page

gazelle

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  13:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Fred,

Thanks so much for this feedback and encouragement. This has been quite the most painful spasm I have ever had and I hardly slept last night - I couldn't move without screaming pain (and screaming). Today I read this post and certainly recognize that the fear of pain is contributing quite a bit to this. I've managed to hunch back my way around this morning and move a little.

Here's what I am taking away from your post.

In the near term:

It may not be that this has to last a long time. It could be over sooner than I think. I could be programming myself that this is a week long thing.

Fear is making this worse - if I can "meet" the pain then there's less resistance (and maybe less pain)

I need to move as much as possible. I can now do some hobbling and I'm going to have hobble breaks. I've always known this is key to healing and I need to remember this now.

IN THE LONG TERM:

I need to regularly write out my feelings. I have lots and lots of injuries. When things are good I just don't find the time.

I need to find some way of dealing with the fear. Yesterday I was climbing near the road, with my husband. It was still an epic getting back to the car and home but it could have been so much worse. I have a big climbing trip planned in November. What if this happens 2 hours from a car, 9 pitches up with someone I don't know that well? I'm really scared now and feel like canceling the trip.

Thanks again,
Jane

Go to Top of Page

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  13:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are on the right track Jane.

Just need to get the mental programming down. The fact that you are a rock climber tells me you are very determined, disciplined, and fearless. Just need to access those powerful traits in dealing with TMS.

You can try the mental strategies in my Rapid Recovery plan. You might even see resolution of your symptoms overnight. Take a look at the testimonial section of www.rapidrecovery.net, especially story of Ailsa Howard of NZ. She was in a wheelchair for a year. She rapidly and completely recovered and, as a botanist, she does a lot of mountain climbing. These stories will give you additional help against TMS.

Take care,

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000