TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 deconditioning doubts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  04:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

One activity I never goyt able to deconditioning was resuming physical work out. I try it and now I'm in great pain. I loose the ability to do other previous pinful tasks suvh as typing on a keyboard, riding my bike.

Can someone please explain me why is this happening? How can at least resume the activities I conquered in the past?

Shouls I nsist on working out?

Thanks,

Filipe

Edited by - filipe on 09/26/2015 04:19:11

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  09:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Flipe,

I see from your typing that you are in great pain and I admire your courage to workout despite the pain.

What type of workout are you doing?

It is always best to start slow and build your confidence first. As I wrote about this in Ch. 4 of Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain.

"Tuesday, March 30
Besides working on the NordicTrack and swimming, I decided to begin a weight training program. As I prepared to work with the five-pound and ten-pound weights, an upper back muscle suddenly went into spasm. The subconscious definitely has a mind of its own. Somehow it knew that working out with weights would provide me with great confidence and strength, which would make it hard for my subconscious to make me believe that I am weak and use a physical problem as a defense mechanism. So it gave me pain to discourage me from working out.

The weights were light, but for hands that could barely lift a quart of milk ten days earlier, lifting five-pound weights was a great feeling. In fact, just before this, I had tried to pour some water out of a one-gallon container and felt pain in my elbow, pain that persisted. However, I did not let it bother me as I did my triceps exercises. I had a great sense of confidence and freedom."

Start with the lightest workout possible. So light that if you experience some pain, you know it could not be due to actual physical injury.

Take care.

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  09:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying me. My syb-conscious mind is killing me. I'm affradi of almost anything. Of being in pain, untill I cannot stand anymore, of living my child orphan of both mum and Dad. My wife has a breast cancer. The thing, is that now I know that this come all from my head and I don't got aother thing to grab on, other than face the rrot problema. I got cured from 4 yeatrs of pain, because I manage to shift my attention into something I loved doing. It is difficult to this now, because I need the help of my wife, which is sick. I never faced my fears, instead I tried to Forget it, to the point I got obsess with my hobby. I cannot blame the weather this time...

What is driving me crazy, is that I was been able to do pretty much everything withou pain. No I can't. By the way, the work out I did, was ChiKung, which was very light....

Can you tell me what should I do. My pain is now wide spread... It is difficult to think things clearly when you are in so much pain.

Why can't I type anymore?

Thanks,

Filipe

Edited by - filipe on 09/26/2015 10:15:38
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  14:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filipe, a couple things:

this caught my eye:

>By the way, the work out I did, was ChiKung, which was very light...

I had a flare-up of a very old injury (which I think then *became* TMS) but it was severe, surprising and REALLY scared me. Luckily, it has now (after a couple weeks) flared down again, but honestly, even just *thinking* about it (let alone doing anything physical) can bring on the pain. it sounds to me like you are "scared to death" and no matter what, you are in pain / panic, so could you please try to do something relaxing for yourself?

It sounds to me like maybe you could do w/ a little R&R like Dr Sarno recommended in the case of an 'acute attack' ? ... apparently he said something like this, with a twinkle in his eye: "rest in bed w/ a good book and a glass of wine" (!)

Which reminds me, you might get some benefit from a technique I really like, called Intentional Resting. (Look it up on YouTube for some free info / guide-through.) There is also the web site: www.intentionalresting.com )

Also, I believe I got some great advice from Paul Cavel who is a very experienced tai chi/ neigung instructor when I had a flare-up previously in the year:

DO WHAT YOU CAN DO WITHOUT UPSETTING THE APPLE CART. THIS ALSO GOES FOR THE BREATHING AND STANDING PRACTICES. IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY NEGATIVE SYMPTOMS, BACK OFF AND DON'T ADD IN MORE DIFFICULT TECHNIQUES.
THE IDEA IS TO DO WHAT YOU FIND EASY UNTIL YOU FEEL IT TAKES YOU ALMOST NO EFFORT AT ALL BEFORE ADDING ON ANYTHING MORE."

(And BTW I think you got great advice from Fred Amir, too).

If you are in mental strain doing your chikung, maybe back off and just do standing practice. If that is too much, then just do breathing practice, even lying down breathing practice. If that brings on pain too, then you KNOW it's purely mental strain! The more you "insist" IMHO, the more strain you put on yourself. I myself think it's important to build up confidence slowly.

I also had another tai chi teacher say to me "try softer." The harder we TRY (ie adding strain) the worse things get, in my experience.

You are in a highly stressed life situation ... and you are RIGHT that it is really hard to think straight when in pain. Can you get some relief in ANY way? Even w/ some meds for temporary relief just so you can get a break ?

(Usual Disclaimer: I'm certainly no expert!)

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  14:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Flipe,

Generally ChiKung is not a hard workout. All the more reason to focus on the emotional side and be glad that despite the pain your body is OK.

You are dealing with a lot of issues and certainly a difficult past and challenges of dealing with your wife's illness can produce a lot of tension and pain.

Yet, if you think about it, there are others in similar situation, and are doing well. This is not meant to minimize your suffering buy point to the fact that it is a matter of mental habits and programming. Once you learn the mental techniques and strategies and practice them daily, you can face life's challenges much more effectively and remain pain-free.

That's what I have studied for the past 20 years to develop and foster in myself and others. I share some of them in the last chapter of my book.

You can also read stories the testimonials at www.rapidrecovery.net for encouragement and hope.

The above suggestions can be very helpful. If you need additional help, you can schedule a free consultation session at fredamir.youcanbook.me

All the best,

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  05:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for replying me. I'm gonna buy yout books :) . I also use to have problems with my prostate, wich ceised complely after the pain begun. Strange ;)

Anyway, I know the theory. I understand it completely and beleive in it 100%, because it is the TRUTH.

I think I'm suffering from Post Traumatic Stree Disorder. My pain is associated with working out your body. This was what has started it (to distract me from the birth of my child, and responsability of taking car of him).

Even when I see someone working out, it is still distressing for me (I begin feeling symptoms). For instances, when a friend of mine says it is working out, I get stress with that idea. If I go running with a friend, and he starts warming up, I can't do the same... I'm affraid of streaching, or foous my attention on my arms.... I know it is nuts, but for me, working out, it is like going to war. TMS is Post Traumatic Stress Disrder, or PTSD.

My fear of physical exercices, also was due to what Drs told me ate the time all this begun... becareful with your arms, your tendons, you have exagerated, don't do exercices on your own, which I did, becarefull, with your posture when doing exercices, becarefull with your wrists, etc....

What I don't understand is why am I back at square one again. I already told my brain, I'm not working out anymore. Should I do the opposite? Should I only been cured of TMS completely when I overcome this last step?

Can you also please try to explain me why the pain, when gets worse, seems to spread? For instances, now my whole torso burns, and hurts... Why does symprtoms of pain, sometime, if you insist on na activity seem to get worse, and spread to other parts? Why other time, when you are in the rode to the cure, this doesn't happen?

Thanks my friend :)

Do you do consultations online? By skype? Can we talk?

Edited by - filipe on 09/28/2015 05:54:34
Go to Top of Page

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  18:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Filpie,

You ask very good questions:

"Can you also please try to explain me why the pain, when gets worse, seems to spread? For instances, now my whole torso burns, and hurts... Why does symprtoms of pain, sometime, if you insist on na activity seem to get worse, and spread to other parts? Why other time, when you are in the rode to the cure, this doesn't happen?"

These are some of the questions I answer in my book. It is best you read the book first and apply the techniques. Doing so has helped many readers to improve significantly and/or recover rapidly.

If after doing so you still had symptoms, we can talk via phone or Skype.

Cheers!

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  07:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you Fred..

The truth is I'm affraid of suffering from reflex sympathetic distrophy, which I know it is TMS, but I'm still affraid to live a life of pain. I read too many bull**** on the web :( I don' want to live in fear :(. Do you undestand?

I'm starting to beleive that TMS is just a manifestation of Anxiety, as other neurological deseases such as MS (wich I also beleive it is TMS), etc...
Thanks,

Filipe
Filipe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000