TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Questions about Steps in Unlearn Your Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WendyS

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  07:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I purchased the Unlearn Your Pain Book and having a bit of a time understanding some things....Maybe it's me thinking it's too deep or academic. I just need some examples to see the forest for the trees I guess? Or, it's the TMS!

Step 1. Symptoms. It's hard to think back years ago as a kid. I remember different things but not every single time I had a ache or pain..... I might have had a stomach ache as a kid but, I have no idea what age I was. Do I need to be exact?

Step 2 Childhood. Describe your Mother, Father, or Caregiver. For one word descriptions I used a site on personality words on Google to help trigger my memory if needed.

Step 3. Core Issues. I've done close to 2 pages of core issues, including using some of the examples in the book.

Step 4. I have every one of the Personality Traits checked off.

Step 5. Finding connections between life stresses, core issues, and the onset of MBS symptoms. This is where I'm stumped....... I understand I'm using the list on page 66....Do I do this?....

Age....
MBS Symptoms (from Step 1)
Potential Triggering Events...... Is this to be taken from where it says "Finally, consider if there were any particular stressful or traumatic events in your childhood" on page 60?
Emotions that were triggered/core issues. Are these taking from Step 3?

I'm just having a hard time understanding this because when I did the list on page 66 it appears, from what I remember, I didn't have a lot going on other then a stomache ache here and there that I vaugley remember .... Could be more of a guess ...... I do know I had a lot of IBS symptoms in high school and when I started my first job.......over the years those symptoms stopped and were replaced with the following..

Left foot pain that lasted for years! ... (I have very flat feet)
Pain above my right eye....was diagnosed as ice pick headaches
Headaches every single month for 2-3 days .... Mother had bad headaches so it's only fitting I do!
Burning mouth.
Right side upper abdominal ache ..... CT scan found nothing
Diarrhea on and off for years....suddenly disappeared after having food sensitivity test. Cannot have peanuts or potatoe.....poof no more diarrhea after I stopped those foods! Strange eh?
TMJ go to PT
Shoulder and neck pain....go to RMT and PT for treatment.....
Then!
I went to see at different PT who was closer to me. She pressed onto where my neck and shoulder meet.....I freaked out it hurt so much! I never went back to her, the next morning my ear started draining clear fluid..... laterthat evening I laid down, didn't feel right and every single muscle in my legs went into spasm..... Went to ER and nothing was found....All within a matter of days this happened... I broke out in a odd itchy rash on my stomach doctor gave me cream.... Then my back and right leg pain started..... I went to a chiropractor who used active release ...... She diagnosed me with a little herniation I thought she said L3-5 and myofascitis, and a little piraformis..... I've this pains inch Feb this year..... My doctor, Chiropractor, and new PT all agreed no MRI or CT is needed. .I had nothing but time so I started doing research and asked the doctor to do a MAG RBC, IRON, B12 blood work......All this was done in ER but the MAG RBC...long story short the MAG RBC was low end of normal.....b12, iron was low to. The Doctor didn't catch it until I made him aware.....Anyhow the MAG is slowly coming back up and iron and b12 is too.....Fast forward I started reading about John Sarno and I'm fully convinced my pain is TMS.....I was able to have maybe 2 weeks with hardly any pain this summer.....until I tried some Hanna Somatics then it started up again!..... It's strange because since it started in Feb I've had pain in my right leg....pins needles, tingling, pulling, cold spots, burning,.... I've had pain in my left leg.... Both upper buttocks...waist pain...hip pain...I could go on and on!

I think my simple question ended up being a novel!

Thanks

WendyS

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  07:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone here here help me with my questions? I'm so tired of this happening! I post something and no one answers! Someone here has to be able to answer them?!

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  08:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PM me you didn't specify your PM.
Go to Top of Page

WendyS

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  11:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sent you a PM Tom

quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

PM me you didn't specify your PM.

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  11:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy, welcome.

Step 1. Symptons in this context, I believe refer to childhood unhappiness and anxiety. Memories of these unhappy times may have been repressed. When you were a child you may not have had physical pain, you unknowingly chose repression over real pain. Emotions and Rage are hard to acknowledge and reveal as they are unsavory. No, you don’t need to be exact; the essence of Journaling and writing exercises is to reveal these forgotten memories for what they are – harmless.

Step 2. - Childhood- don’t hold back on this one, example, (not mine): My father was a womanizing drunk who bullied my mother, gambled his money away each week, may he rot in hell! One word descriptions are good too: “He was a bastard”, your words not Google’s. When I did this exercise I laughed myself to tears.

Step 3.- No comment

Step 4.- I scored highly as well! Personality traits are formed by our environment, and perhaps through DNA. They protect us through our habits and obedience to ourselves from the outside world. I describe my personality as: “my user Interface”. I thought badly of my perfectionism, journalled for many weeks, and concluded that: “perfectionism is a gift to be used wisely”, with minor adjustments I am now happy with perfectionism.

Step 5. – Some pains can be tied directly to a nasty event in the present, some from the past, some via your personality. I call this: “My three Pees”. Here you are trying to connect the dots between unsavory events and pain.

Hi Tom, what does PM mean?

Disclosures:
Just another poster
I did the Wiki recovery program not Howard Schubiner’s, somehow my personality did not allow me to deface his wonderful book. Go figure with the words frugal and perfectionism.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/10/2015 19:45:23
Go to Top of Page

WendyS

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  13:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy!

Thank you so much for the reply. I will go back and have a look to see if I'm on the right track and where I should be correcting things. I have a hard time trying to figure out my childhood.

Step 1, yes, I agree a lot of my memories may have been repressed as a child...I remember some but surely not everything!

Step 2, I find it very hard trying to describe my father or mother. All I could come up with with strict, hardworker, dry, loyal... but once I got into searching them out on Google well I found all kinds that described him! For my sake doing it that way really helped me.

Step 4, Perfectionist that could be me? I can spend hours writing on a piece of paper and if it doesn't look just so, I'll throw it out and start all over again! I make crafts and have been asked to make items for people I turn them down because I know I'd be going nuts making sure everything is perfect! My Mothers house is so frigging neat and tidy, you would think mine would be but it's not, figure that one out!? LOL My motto is no one comes to visit so why bother!

Step 5. In 2009 my 85 year old Father found out he had cancer....Just after finding this out my brother and his wife were at Mom and Dads (I've only ever heard Mom and Dads side) and my brother started yelling at Mom, Dad got upset and told him to leave and never come back and he never did.... neither did his wife or kids...His family just walked out of the picture and left my husband and I to help Mom and Dad....We lived 1 hour away, my brother lived 1 block away behind them and my nephew 1 block away at the side of them....They lived so close you could through a stone at their doors! We did all the running from where we lived to pick Mom and Dad up and take them to the cancer clinic for chemo another 45 minutes from where they lived....This went on for 3.5 years....not once did did that A*S hole call or drop by. None of them even showed up at Dads funeral. Hubby and I put our house up for sale and sold it 2 months before Dad passed away. We moved from the country to just outside the city....Mom said she would stay in the house till she decided to do something else.....During that 1 year she had problems with the neighbors over property lines so we had to put up a new fence....Then the roof needed doing....Mom didn't drive so we had to take her everywhere....A year later she decided she wanted to sell the house it was too much to look after. She ended up selling and moved into a retirement home in December 2014...So everything started to finally settle down then BAM I had that bitch of a physiotherapist pull that number on my neck and shoulder and here I am in pain back leg, neck, shoulder!

I agree with not defacing the book which is why I'm doing all my journaling in a book of it's own... I'd hate to mark it all up!

Do you mind if I ask further questions about the book as they arise in the future?

Thank you again,
Wendy

quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

Hi Wendy, welcome.

Step 1. Symptons in this context, I believe refer to childhood unhappiness and anxiety. Memories of these unhappy times may have been repressed. When you were a child you may not have had physical pain, you unknowingly chose repression over real pain. Emotions and Rage are hard to acknowledge and reveal as they are unsavory. No, you don’t need to be exact; the essence of Journaling and writing exercises is to reveal these forgotten memories for what they are – harmless.

Step 2. - Childhood- doesn’t hold back on this one, example, (not mine): My father was a womanizing drunk who bullied my mother, gambled his money away each week, may he rot in hell! One word descriptions are good too: “He was a bastard”, your words not Google’s. When I did this exercise I laughed myself to tears.

Step 3.- No comment

Step 4.- I scored highly as well! Personality traits are formed by our environment, and perhaps through DNA. They protect us through our habits and obedience to ourselves from the outside world. I describe my personality as: “my user Interface”. I thought badly of my perfectionism, journalled for many weeks, and concluded that: “perfectionism is a gift to be used wisely”, with minor adjustments I am now happy with perfectionism.

Step 5. – Some pains can be tied directly to a nasty event in the present, some from the past, some via your personality. I call this: “My three Pees”. Here you are trying to connect the dots between unsavory events and pain.

Disclosures:
Just another poster
I did the Wiki recovery program not Howard Schubiner’s, somehow my personality did not allow me to deface his wonderful book. Go figure with the words frugal and perfectionism.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  14:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy,

I am on and off the web site these days, I will answer questions if I am able. I do have a copy of “Unlearn your Pain” so I was able to relate to the questions. Perhaps you could make your questions more generic and not tied to Dr. Schubiner’s book as not everyone has it.

Also posting the same questions on the TMS Wiki website might be a good idea. Here is the link.

http://www.tmswiki.org/

The search feature on this website is very good, you will find many posts and resources that connect with you, and of course differing opinions to choose from.

Good luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

WendyS

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  16:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,

I've already posted there and still waiting :(

Wendy

quote:

Hi Wendy,

I am on and off the web site these days, I will answer questions if I am able. I do have a copy of “Unlearn your Pain” so I was able to relate to the questions. Perhaps you could make your questions more generic and not tied to Dr. Schubiner’s book as not everyone has it.

Also posting the same questions on the TMS Wiki website might be a good idea. Here is the link.

http://www.tmswiki.org/

The search feature on this website is very good, you will find many posts and resources that connect with you, and of course differing opinions to choose from.

Good luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  22:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Personal Message", it's on the Profile page to contact members by email.

Cheers

Edited by - tennis tom on 11/10/2015 22:18:20
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  13:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx Tom, so..

I will PM the PM in the PM would mean:
I will personal message the prime minister in the post meridiem.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

WendyS

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  17:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha cute!

BTW Tom, I'm still waiting on your PM?

quote:

Thx Tom, so..

I will PM the PM in the PM would mean:
I will personal message the prime minister in the post meridiem.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  21:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy, I resent it the first one apparently didn't make it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000