TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Stanford: Stress is GOOD for you!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  17:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

I have good news: Stress is good for you. It can make you stronger, resilient, and creative!

As it turns out all the medical advice about stress and its harms to humans have been based on animal studies. For studies on the effects of stress rats were put under severe stress, such as repeated near drowning experiences, electric shocks, etc. Then the effects of such cruel and inhumane treatments on their bodies were used to conclude that stress is bad for our health. However, not only majority of people never experience such severe forms of stress, we, as humans, have much better coping mechanisms than animals.

In fact, according to Stanford health psychologist and author of The Upside of Stress, Dr. Kelly McGonigal, our ability as humans to change our perception of stress can mean the difference between life and death. Research has shown that some 20,000 people die each year in the United States simply because they believe that stress is bad for their health.

The Upside of Stress reviews the relevant research and gives practical steps on how to make stress your friend. In fact, just believing that stress is good for you can not only protect your health under stressful situations but also make you stronger, physically and mentally.

My favorite part of her book is when she talks about getting excited in the face of stress. I have found getting excited in the face of stressful situations, daily annoyances, and life challenges can transform lives from feeling a victim circumstances to feeling in control and confident. The same situations that used lead to sorrow, dismay, or anger are not sources of excitement, energy, creativity and achievement.

So how do you turn stress, fears, worries, anxieties, and everyday annoyances into sources of energy and excitement so that you can avoid back pain, anxiety, and depression and enjoy better health? Join me on Saturday, December 5 at 9am for a free workshop titled, "Turn Stress into Energy and Excitement in 3 Easy Steps!" Learn more at

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/turn-stress-into-energy-and-excitement-in-3-easy-steps-tickets-19565864026

Here’s a TED talk by Dr. McGinigal on how to make stress your friend

http://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend

Stay informed. Stay well.

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  20:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for that article Fred, very interesting! It explains the psychology of risk takers and competitors. Looks like we've been brainwashed that stress is bad for us. Like Billie Jean King says: "Pressure is a privilege." I always liked Stanford University, the times I've played tennis there, I always felt the environment personified the mindbody.
Go to Top of Page

Sam908

70 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  06:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
External stress or self-created internal stress stemming from faulty interpretations of events?
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  11:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fred, thank you for the article. I agree, but shouldn’t the statement be: “Stress could be good for you”? With a waiver saying, ‘If handled correctly”.The introduction of stress hormones in the body is still present are they not, they need handling?

I used to be in an unemployment club where we were instructed to turn stress into excitement at a job interview; I remember jumping up and down in the corridor to get excited before being called in, and this concept actually worked for me on numerous occasions. On the downside
I have witnessed a “mock stress interview” where a poor victim-attendee was picked from the class. As they asked questions they repeatedly interrupted him again and again. It was embarrassing, just to watch, he had no control. His endorphin - soothing came when the “stress interview” was revealed to him, and every one applauded thanking him for his good nature.

I learned the warm fuzzy feeling you get after surviving a risk situation is endorphins counteracting the stress hormones, it’s all chemical. I have noticed that people don’t handle stress well because they don’t even acknowledge it; they don’t seem to know about the soothing that is required, even less welcoming stress as their friend.

Thank you for the TED link where Kelly had 9,566,609 hits.

Good luck with the class.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/23/2015 11:51:48
Go to Top of Page

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  18:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

Actually "Stress is good for you!" is the phrase Kelly uses. Glad getting excited was helpful to you. Just like our beliefs about back pain could mean a difference between being disabled and being active, our beliefs about stress can have their own consequences.

You will be surprised how I end up creating this program, but since I did so 5 years ago the benefits to myself and my students have been enormous.

What I like about Kelly's book is the many mindset interventions she gives to help you understand how best to deal with your stressful situation.

Also, I like how she says embrace your symptoms, instead of trying to calm them down or rush for medication. Just know that your body is preparing you to challenge your stress.

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  20:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fred, I enjoyed the TED talk and have downloaded the book.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  17:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, Fred. thanks for posting the link.

I do have to say the most fascinating part for me, though, was learning that Kelly is the IDENTICAL TWIN SISTER of Jane McGonical of www.superbetter.com fame. I used her program for a while and really liked it.

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  11:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fred,
Here is a link that gives some support Kelley’s lecture.

http://www.ulifeline.org/articles/450-good-stress-bad-stress

It differentiates between good and bad stress. The foundation of her speech is that all stress is good for you, it should be welcomed – embraced and acted upon, very much in line with TMS theory.

My belief is that long term continuing bad stress causes the body to build up excessive negative hormone chemicals that cause long term health issues. She alluded to this in her list, but failed to mention what happens to these chemicals. Instead she focused on one hormone Oxytocin that provides the desire for connection with other people, a sort of “lovey dovey” social benefit and the social sharing of problems.

Do you think her approach also takes care of the negative hormones as well?

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/25/2015 11:29:10
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  14:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,

That seemed a bit suspiscious in the talk to me too, but I downloaded the book and it seems to have more subtle distinctions between every day and extreme or prolonged stresses.
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  05:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished the book and really enjoyed it. It's a popular book so has the obvious limitations of a somewhat simplified general message (but well worked out deeper in the text)...but if you want to see some decent research and weigh this against other info in the field, it's good stuff and an easy read (or listen). If you already think stess isn't generally a problem and don't worry about it (or enjoy it), you probably don't need the book. If like me you intellectually get it but need a bigger web of info and understanding to drive it home the book is great. If you spend your time worrying about stress and anxiety I would highly recommend buying this now...I wish I'd had it a few years ago.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  10:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alexis, Fred answered me on the Wiki forum, this was my reply. Personally I am not looking for another book, I am having a hard enough time with my present knowledge base, and I like to keep things simple, or is that I am a tight wad!

Hi Fred happy Thanksgiving,

Thank you for your reply, I will definitely give this a try when next stressed, this will be interesting because since retiring 4 years ago I have been undergoing my own stress reduction program, and have done very well. These stress topics range from self imposed, habitual, hobby, environmental and, the worst of all “unexpected stress”.

I would like to point out I do not want to get too good at managing my stress for fear of ending up like Dean Potter. I once saw him on a TV program where he said that when he is climbing he is really alive in the face of death.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/18/us/yosemite-base-jumpers-dean-potter-graham-hunt-deaths/

However last year I missed a really good windsurfing session, I was frightened, it was 6.30 am, it was very cold and the conditions extreme. On that day I kept thinking of all the things that could go wrong, my perception was very negative. I was belittled when three hours later a girl ½ my size said what a great session she had had. This won’t happen again!

Thanks

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/29/2015 19:07:23
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  13:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

I wouldn't call this an "essential must-read", but I guess I wouldn't say that of any book I can think of. I'd say it's in my top 10% for the year, though.

I'm cheap enough that I get most of my books through library (paper or online) or with my Audible credits. I was previously recommending people try to get Sarno books at the library, but recently there was an interesting discussion here of drugs working better when you pay more for them. Now I wonder if that's true of books (knowledge treatments), too!

Alexis

Edited by - alexis on 11/29/2015 13:59:45
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  11:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This on bbc just today - study finds stress and unhappiness, at least in adulthood, do not raise risk of death as widely believed:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35052404
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000