TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Lower back soreness during exercising
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vicomel

6 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  08:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had TMS for about 15 years with regular bouts of severe back pain 1 or 2 times per year. I completely eliminated the pain and have been free of back pain for about 12 years after reading Dr. Sarno's books. Therefore, I believe in the whole mind-body connection 100%. However, for the last 5 or 6 years I develop a soreness/stiffness in my lower back during jogging and tennis, which causes me to stop the jogging or tennis. I also exercise with a stationary bike and stair-master and do weights/resistance machines and do not experience this soreness/stiffness. Therefore, it only seems to occur when I am running. I have thought there was something physical going on that was causing this stiffness, but am now questioning could this be due to TMS. I did not think it was TMS because it is not a debilitating pain, it goes away as soon as I stop running and is not associated with other exercise or walking. Thoughts?

Vic

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  13:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A key part of TMS is conditioning. You may have become conditioned to expect the pain when running. This does not necessarily mean there is a physical cause.

Your message is focused on the physical symptoms. Did you consider the possible psychological causes? Have there been any changes in your life recently you may not be fully appreciating?
Go to Top of Page

vicomel

6 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  10:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have considered the psychological aspects and I have had some issues that have come up in the last 5 or 6 years that have been adding additional stress. However, I have been thinking that my soreness has not been due to TMS because the symptoms have not been typical TMS-type symptoms.

Vic
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  14:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes to symptoms I do not think anything is typical.

Your brain will choose symptoms that are most likely to make you believe they have a physical cause.
Go to Top of Page

vicomel

6 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  08:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me a while to convince my "brain" that I knew my previous back pain was due to TMS, but I was eventually successful in doing this, because I could go back in history and associate past pain events with my bouts of pain. Therefore, I was able to get rid of this debilitating pain. However, this soreness is not associated with any particular event and only occurs when I exercise. I have tried telling myself to stop the soreness and that I know what is causing it, but this has not helped. I guess I was hoping that others with similar TMS symptoms would confirm that they had similar TMS events and that they were able to resolve them using Dr. Sarno approaches. Without the confirmation, I perhaps am not convinced that the soreness is due to TMS. Suggestions?

Vic
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  12:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vicomel
I perhaps am not convinced that the soreness is due to TMS.

Exactly.

If you are not convinced, your brain will continue what is working.
Go to Top of Page

vicomel

6 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  15:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

quote:
I perhaps am not convinced that the soreness is due to TMS.

Exactly.

If you are not convinced, your brain will continue what is working.

I have had 2 knee replacements over the last 5 years so I have gone 1-1.5 years on 2 occasions without any exercising and thus no back soreness over those 2 long periods. I know the brain and the whole concept of TMS is not logical, but would the brain really wait 1-1.5 years on 2 occasions to infict this soreness/pain on me?

Vic
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  10:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know the brain and the whole concept of TMS is not logical, but would the brain really wait 1-1.5 years on 2 occasions to infict this soreness/pain on me?

Why are you trying so hard to talk yourself out of it?

Why not accept that it is TMS and try to figure out what psychological triggers may be responsible.

TMS is opportunistic and not logical. Again, if you believe the problem is physical, then the process will be more than happy to continue the symptoms as they are serving their intended purpose.
Go to Top of Page

vicomel

6 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  13:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks. I guess I am looking for more "ammunition" to convince myself it is TMS, and I am getting there.....

Vic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000