TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Swimming episode/now ANXIETY attacks.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  16:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I'm back. After this past winter dealing with gastritis and IBS, I now seem to have a new issue. First, thank you Gary who particularly helped me through my stomach distress. I did as you recommended and got off the omeprozale and focused on TMS. While I still occasionally get the IBS symptoms (I can't stomach alcohol very well) it has improved.

But the other day I had a trip to the ER. I had two episodes at my new gym, where, after swimming laps in the pool then going for a brief dip in the hot tub, I essentially dropped. Didn't faint - just couldn't stand up for a long while. I assumed I hadn't eaten enough before swimming (for the first time in a long while). But a couple days later it happened again and the paramedics were called. My tests were fine; bloodpressure ok, EKG ok. The released me saying it was anxiety.

Now, a few years ago I had some panic attacks after a long period of sadness. Heart tests done, everything was ok. I take lorazapam when needed.

But since this swimming episode, I've been having daily anxiety attacks. A hot flushing feeling will come over me, palms sweating, shortness of breath. I take a pill and it calms me down.

So...I've been down this road, but can't stop worrying that maybe I have a heart problem, brain problem, etc. etc. I'm relatively fit, 46, don't smoke or drink.

What's my stress during this time? It coincided with my creative collaborator posting a stupid drunk photo on our social media page. He's my lifelong friend but it really embarrassed me and I'm very concerned about his drinking. On the same day, I was told I owed an unexpected $1400 bill.

So - the dizziness after swimming seemed odd. Not like me. But I've been feeling lightheaded and dizzy in between these panic attacks.

Thoughts?

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  18:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see your gastritis has improved. With regard to your current condition, the medical tests were all fine, which is great news. Put your faith in that.

We now have a shift in symptoms, which is classic TMS. You are obsessing with these new symptoms and its creating fear of something serious. Let go of the fear Switters and this will pass. The mind and body are one and if the mind is panicking so will the body.

May I suggest you record your voice on a recording device, telling yourself to relax and breathe slowly and that the anxiety attack will subside? So, when and if there is another attack, press the play button and it may help to soothe, reassure and calm you down.

Edited by - garystil on 06/23/2016 08:25:02
Go to Top of Page

KristenG

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  20:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am sorry that this is causing you so much anxiety. Could it be the hot tub that caused this reaction? I can't go in one without getting lightheaded, which in turn causes my heart to really thump. I believe it is because the hot water causes your blood pressure to drop, then your heart rate increases to compensate. It can feel very much like a panic attack in my experience.

Rest easy. This too shall pass.

Kristen

Worry is the misuse of imagination.
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  19:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies. The anxiety attacks subsided. I watched a YouTube video by a guy who described my symptoms exactly and it took my fear away.

Strangely now, my stomach issues are back. I realize this is classic TMS, moving symptoms around. Yet the pains/IBS flare when I drink coffee or the occasional beer or sometimes even when I eat healthy which is usually the case. Last week I got a severe cramp under my right rib cage that made it hurt to breath, and it didn't go away for 15 minutes until I learned forward to burp. Strange **** happening to me!
Go to Top of Page

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  04:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I watched a YouTube video by a guy who described my symptoms exactly and it took my fear away."

Put the link up, as it may help someone else.
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  17:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again. Update: for the past couple days I've been experiencing a strange tightness in my upper chest/lungs. I'm guessing (hoping) it's a combination of gas (heartburn) but also stress and anxiety caused by my watching too much CNN and deep concerns about Donald Trump coming to power. This ache flared up today at the end of a long walk. It feels like a strain in my chest. I've also found myself obsessing over past heartbreaks, and I just turned 47 and suddenly feel old--to the point where I literally can't believe that's my age. Feeling that major life decisions need to be made, worries that I'll never make my mom a grandmother. Etc. Etc. so, I guess it's adding up. I'm just hoping I don't need a stress test at the hospital. My last EKG 6 weeks ago was fine. My CT scans and ultrasounds from last winter, also revealed nothing major.

Gary, here is the video I mentioned which provided emotional relief. He's just a regular guy...but he describes the many physical symptoms of anxiety. I just rewatched it. Many of you might benefit.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrLfQ6ipYYs

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000