TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Unlearn your pain!??!? Doubts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  11:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm having some doubts about the term "unlearn your pain". I mean is it really possible to unlearn your pain, like you would unlearn anxiety?

I'm having a relapse. But this time was diferent, there was no phisical trigger. The TMS pain which was completely gonne, came back, because I met someone very young with a neurological condition. It really messed with me and my mind. Instead of running away from her, I try to help her and then in some days, my pain came back. I was very stressed when talking to her, and the stress set in. I fell the exact same kind of pain in my arms. Now I avoid talking to her...

So I ask: if the cure of TMS involves unlearning your pain, like I read in some posts here, why does it come back? Can you really unlearned something your mind learn? I know then in a few days, my pain will be gonne again, but why these relapses?

Thanks

PS: Should I run away from my friend?

Edited by - filipe on 09/07/2016 11:22:44

MatthewNJ

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  10:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, you do unlearn, or better still you learn new ways. I have learned to make better choices. The more I do this the less relpaes I have, and they are more minor. You don't need a physical trigger. Clearly your new friend was the trigger. Sounds to me (and please don't shoot the messenger) that you are like many of us with TMS (myself included). We like to help others. BUT, in that helping, I can tend to use that as a distraction from my own stuff. So, when the oxygen mask drops from the ceiling, put it on your first.EG; take care of you first and then you have plenty to help take care of others. If you look inside you, you will find you probably are helping for a reason and that hurts because???? for me that would be because I am looking for the approval I did not get enough of as a small child. Is there is something about the neurological disorder, or a chronic illness your friend has that is triggering u as well?. My last thought, sorry for the protracted response is stay with her, she is teaching you what you need to know. Be aware and ok with the discomfort, don;t run from it. does that make any sense?

Matthew
Less activated, more regulated and more resilient.
Ferretsx3@comcast.net

Organizer of TMSwiki.org/chat
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  10:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MatthewNJ

yes, you do unlearn, or better still you learn new ways. I have learned to make better choices. The more I do this the less relpaes I have, and they are more minor. You don't need a physical trigger. Clearly your new friend was the trigger. Sounds to me (and please don't shoot the messenger) that you are like many of us with TMS (myself included). We like to help others. BUT, in that helping, I can tend to use that as a distraction from my own stuff. So, when the oxygen mask drops from the ceiling, put it on your first.EG; take care of you first and then you have plenty to help take care of others. If you look inside you, you will find you probably are helping for a reason and that hurts because???? for me that would be because I am looking for the approval I did not get enough of as a small child. Is there is something about the neurological disorder, or a chronic illness your friend has that is triggering u as well?. My last thought, sorry for the protracted response is stay with her, she is teaching you what you need to know. Be aware and ok with the discomfort, don;t run from it. does that make any sense?

Matthew
Less activated, more regulated and more resilient.
Ferretsx3@comcast.net

Organizer of TMSwiki.org/chat

Perfect sense my friend :) She has Parkinson. But I also think PArkinson is TMS, or psychossomatic. I try to send her that message, but then, I put in my mind that I could be punished by god, to try to sell to others what cured me :(

Now I'm really affraid, namely because I didn'y sleep yesterday, becausde of the pain, an now I'm affraid of both the pain, and not beeing able to sleep. My brain is very tiny right now :(

Edited by - filipe on 09/08/2016 10:47:24
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  21:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filipe, have you done a "search" here and at the TMS Wiki for info on Parkinsons?

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  03:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, but I know she was in a lot of stress, and depressed when the first symptoms appear. She also feared every neurological disease, because she had study them... What is your opinion on the subject, Tom?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  06:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Felipe, I suggest you do a 'search' here and at the TMS Wiki on the topic.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  10:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Felipe, I suggest you do a 'search' here and at the TMS Wiki on the topic.

I already did. Now a question, how can one help anyone with more or lese the same problem, without have to fight its own ghosts? How can one be at ease with talking about pain, etc...? Is it possible? I mean. it is impossible to live without stressfull situations... can one master your mind in away, when this old ghosts pops into your mind, you just eleminate them?

Edited by - filipe on 09/09/2016 10:38:28
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  10:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your knowledge and belief in Dr. Sarno's TMS theory is deep enough, you will not become fearful when encountering someone who may, or may not have TMS.

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  12:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it is deep, but I was alywa very affraid. Fear was always my biggest enemy. The problem is that there are times when I'm more vulnerable to fear. Do you know why? Because there are loads of stimulus... you can control what you think, but not the semls, or if it is going to be a rainy day, etc... right now reading sarnos books remind me of something I want to forget, wich is my pain...

There were people here in this forum that completely learn how to master there thought, but they seemed to vanished... :(
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000