TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Walking issues 14 years of TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  18:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to discourage anyone but I'm about to enter my 15th year of TMS. I've seen Dr. Sarno many times, took his course twice and spent a ton of money with two psychologist he works with, all to no avail. Dr. Sarno noted that a part of me was very resistant.

I began to work intensely in the fall with mindfulness every day, as well as just focusing on the pain in my body. I began to show real improvement with one or two remarkable days of almost no pain.

I have some back pain and stiffness but my primary complaint is my feet are very activated and jumpy. Again, focusing really hard on the feelings and getting some amazing release of the repressed energy. Suddenly, I cannot walk without falling. The bottoms of my feet, in fact my whole foot mainly the left begins to contract and go into spasm. I know 100% this is an intensification of TMS but no matter what I do it continues. This is something I cannot float above. I'm now walking with a cane, as I'm a senior and cannot take a fall. This has been the pattern for 15 years: the harder I work on the TMS the worse it gets. The two psychologists were a waste of about $15,000. Had another amazing release session this afternoon lying on the floor and just shaking. Deep deep sense of calm afterwards but no pain relief. I know I'm on the right track.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from any members that are in the same situation. I've done everything you can think of. Read every book, Journal, ignored it, you name it. I shipped right away to the feelings all the time. By the way, I fit the TMS personality to a T.

Thanks in advance and good health to everyone.

healingfromchronicpain

10 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  17:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I don't really have suggestions, but just wanted to say it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who "gets" the mindbody connection, but has still dealt with pain for many years. I've been on this journey for over 11 years and while I'm far better than I was the first several years, my subconscious still seems to have more control over my body than I'd like. I largely just try to continue things even when my pain spikes, but the truth is, sometimes I have to listen to it and rest my body enough so I can reflect on the fact that my body is talking to me. But I certainly know the feeling of trying everything yet still having lingering pain. If you're interested, I recently made my chronic pain story available on the web and I describe all the things I've tried: http://www.healingfromchronicpain.com/

Best of luck, and I hope your subconscious gives your body a break soon! :)
Go to Top of Page

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  19:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your kind reply. I know there are many people like you and I who continue to have psychogenic pain. I continue to have limited success with releasing emotions and just plain fighting back with the pain. I know I'm close to a resolution of my situation. Just this afternoon I was doing my laundry and was having trouble walking from the elevator to the laundry room. I got mad and said I'm going to walk without fear. It worked but the pain in my feet really ratcheted up. I'm still puzzled by why my situation continues. I must be repressing feelings all the time without being aware of it even though I try my best to acknowledge all my feelings.
Go to Top of Page

healingfromchronicpain

10 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2017 :  15:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know exactly what you mean! (re: "I must be repressing feelings all the time without being aware of it even though I try my best to acknowledge all my feelings.")

Sometimes you never know what's going to work on your subconscious. At different times, different things have brought down, or on some cases eliminated, certain layers of my pain. Sometimes it was bodywork that exposed my deep subconscious feelings, sometimes almost surrendering and stopping all the "trying so hard" did it. Even when I published my website just recently, which took me years to prepare, I had a layer of pain go away in my neck that hasn't seemed to surface anywhere else or as any other symptom.

I just try to keep doing things that my gut keeps telling me to do (like publish my memoir). Intellectually, I can think of a million reasons not to, but I keep finding myself compelled to move forward with it. Maybe there's some good reason my gut is guiding me this way. I'll let you know if I discover that to be true! :)

Hang in there!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000