TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Heres my situation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sikocycles

13 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  13:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok a brief history.
Playing high school hockey I had sciatica but thought it was a hamstring pull. LIved with it.
About 5 or 6 years ago had sciatica pain for a year or so. Broke up with my girlfriend and it went away in a month or so.
Now I was at hockey camp and on the third day the sciatica came back. I was sick with pain it was so bad. Now I have the sciatica pain (not to bad though) and the real problem is right calf weakness and a few numb toes. What should I do. The MRI show a hreniated L5S1 and the Doc wants to operate and I am very afraid. Does anyone know what is the cut off to have surgery because I dont want permanat nerve damage? Life is stressful so it cany very well be TMS but I am afraid of lossing the calf.... Thanks

johnnyg

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  13:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi:

I have a herniated L5 S1 too. Interestly, most people with this bulge have sciatica pain like you, but I don't. Chances are this has nothing to do with your pain. It sounds like your doctor is prematurely suggesting surgery. If you haven't read the Sarno books, do so. Get a few more opinions and avoid surgery at all cost unless there is some sort of bladder issue--this is the very rare case that even Sarno would admit that surgery may be necessary. If the bulge is slight, an MRI would probably reveal that it isn't even touching the nerve. You should have at least 2 or 3 doctors look at the MRI, chances are a good honest doctor will admit that the bulge shouldn't cause pain (I found one that did, although he didn't offer any answer either). Try to find a TMS doctor as well. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  13:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sikocycles,

You don't mention if you have read "The Mindbody Prescription" or one of the earlier works of Dr. Sarno. If you have not read them start there.

As long as you have been examined by a Dr. and says you are in no immediate danger, then you can afford to wait and see how you progress without surgery. Just because you have some muscle weakness and numb toes does not mean they are at risk.

Take a look at this thread I just replied to earlier today...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1142

...read my posting on 07/05/2005 : 09:21:58

Keep in ming that TMS's prime ally is pain and fear. TMS will use the pain to make you scared that something is wrong with you. Since you are new to all of this its a bit hard to swallow, but you must do the TMS work and conquer your fear in order to conquer the pain.

While you are working on your TMS pain, the body will heal your disc (dehydration) and the numbness and calf problem will likley resolve themselves over time. The disc problem is not causing your pain.

Don't fight the pain. That just leads to more rage (that you are 'broken'). Its going to hurt for a time, so just let it hurt, do not fear the pain. The pain in benign and will not harm you.

Lastly, go thru some of the past topics on this forum, you can also do a search (see the search link at the top of the page). Here's another topic to get you started...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 07/05/2005 13:53:31
Go to Top of Page

sikocycles

13 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  14:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reading the book now. I was examined by my chiropractor and a neurosurgeon. The chiro says wait it out you should not get any more nerve damage the neuro say the longer I wait the more damage will occur. I spoke to Dr Sarno today and he said it is most likly TMS and if I want to make an appointment do so. He said if I can accept the TMS it is a good start. I am just worried about the leg. The doctors really dont give any answers. I am seeing another Dr tomorrow and see what he says
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  22:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please just don't rush into surgery. There are so many people who go through surgery and don't get any better. Take a couple of weeks and really throw yourself into the TMS work. Even though you won't necessarily get better in this short time, you may see some strange things like your symptoms moving around that may make you confident that what you have is TMS. Remember- first do no harm!

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  23:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sikocycles.

In Healing Back pain,Sarno actually cites a Non-TMS doctors work in neurosurgery.I think it was a Miami University Surgeon,who wrote in a published medical Paper that prolonged pressure on a nerve doesn't cause pain,but rather numbness.

My surgeon ALSO rushed me into surgery....gotta make those yacht and country club payments!! And remember....according to everything they are taught,they think they are helping you.

My surgery was a complete failure....I was actually worse afterwards.Since it was TMS (but I didn't know yet),I was very anxious about when the sciatic pain would subside.More anxiety equaled more pain,so I went from constant pain to constant fear and agony.

I too was having sciatica before I knew what sciatica was....I thought it was some weird thing associated with the squats I did in the gym(had just gotten married and had a child)

I played adult Baseball until this season.
I read Sarno's book,and figured out why I sometimes would get weird symptoms playing Ball.....

I HAVE to WIN no MATTER WHAT.

I would Bean my own mother if she was leaning over the plate.I'd take out Mother Theresa trying to break up a double play.
....but,we're supposed to be "good sports" and "nice guys".

That good sport and nice guy veneer I had was NOT jiving with the dominate-at-any-cost A-hole 6 year-old that lives in the deep dark part of my soul.

Last season I hit .550 and was leading my team and amongst the league leaders in hitting.I had read Sarno and was.....uhhhh...letting out more emotion than I used to.

I bought an aluminum bat that I was sure had a crack in it and had argued with the guy I bought it from,telling him I wanted my money back.He said the "crack" was a deep scratch.I led off a game,and when I hit the ball,the bat was dead(cracked) and I grounded out to the shortstop,but he threw it away and I went all the way to third.I scored on another guys single,picked up My bat and swung it so hard into the fence I shattered it,along with my left hand.

Ya' see,I ain't no 'team player' deep down inside.I was more concerned with my batting average than I was with scoring the run!!

Point is,most of us who get this thing are perfectionist types who have a conflict between how we ought to act(moral imperative) and how our unconscious mind wants us to act (full on out of control suppressed rage)

You're 31 and still playing Hockey....you've GOTTA be awfully competitive...Hockey is a total full on get-the-F-out-of-my-way sport.Unless you're getting paid,you might not be in touch with just how competitive you really are.The only one of my friends who plays adult Hockey ALSO had mystery back pain all the time.....and was the healthiest,biggest,baddest dude I knew.

Have you read the book(s) ?????

I'd take a rain check on the surgery until you find out if you're one of us.

pieces and peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

sikocycles

13 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  07:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read half of his book last night and has some really great points. I may make a appointment to see him so I can get his dianosis that it is TSM. I truly believe that it can be TSM
Go to Top of Page

alanc

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  07:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siko - I'm 56 and stopped playing hockey three years ago after playing and coaching my whole life. Why? Sciatica, low back pain and hip pain. I finally read Sarno's books. HBP twice and MBP twice, and read a bit of MBP everyday. That was six weeks ago and I'm thinking of starting to jog soon. I experienced almost immediate relief after reading the first book Memorial day weekend. My brother was out of work for three months last year with back pain. Chiro failed, MRI showed two buldging discs and spinal stenosis. Then extensive physical therapy. I told him about the book over Memorial Day weekend, he read it and jogged three and a half miles with my wife this past weekend. I can only suggest to read Sarno's books and, then read them again. It may take time to recondition your mind but it definitely works. Where the hell has Sarno been? He's a lifesaver.
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  18:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sikocycles

Never be in a hurry for surgery. I was. I actually had a “consumers advocate” helping me get surgery scheduled. Fortunately I found Dr. Sarno’s books and recovered.

In addition to sciatica (the pain is so intense, unless you have had it, one cannot imagine how bad it is); I had extreme weakness in both legs. Dr. Sarno mentions this weakness situation, but one rarely, if ever, sees it on the forum. All TMS.

I did not have surgery, my back pain went away, my sciatica went away and the strength came back to my legs.

Pain free for five years.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  23:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baseball65
In Healing Back pain,Sarno actually cites a Non-TMS doctors work in neurosurgery.I think it was a Miami University Surgeon,who wrote in a published medical Paper that prolonged pressure on a nerve doesn't cause pain,but rather numbness.

This is on page 101 of HBP. Dr. Sarno says that constant nerve compression would not only stop the nerve from generating pain, but would also block the nerve from transmitting pain of any cause. On pages 106-107, he re-emphasizes this in his description of the objective numbness from nerve compression, which is different than the subjective numbness seen in TMS.

This info might help you (sikocycles) decide whether you have TMS. Still, it could be very valuable to see Dr. Sarno in person.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

sikocycles

13 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  06:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help.
My sciatica pain the first day was very intense but went away. I am pretty much pain free but still have the weakness and some toe numbness but I think its coming back. Seems like I have a little more spring in my step.
I saw another doctor the other day and he says I dont need surgery. That was good. I will finish the book tonight. I have a appointment with Dr. Sarno on the 18th.
Go to Top of Page

sikocycles

13 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  12:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SAw Dr Sarno yesterday and he said my condition is classic TMS. He gave me his book and now I am reading this one, Let the healing begin. It was very informative and worth the trip and money.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  21:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations that your symptoms are "just" TMS! Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000