TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Curing RSI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people,

Nice to read all those success stories! I have RSI for 6 years now in the form of severe but partially copable 'pain' mostly in my lower arm musles that lift my fingers, and a month ago I had this 'cannot use my arms anymore' phase for the 3rd time, pissing me off real bad. Since then I rarely used my computer (getting severe problems for running behind at school and stuff), resulting in a pain free period. This happens everytime I don't use the computer for like a month (I can tell because of vacationtimes). When I return to the computer, pain quickly emerges again. I've been to the therapy-attending-non-working circus, wasting my time and getting more depressed. I recently finished 'The Mindbody Prescription', wow that's really something. I understand and believe the theory, but the pain still developes (for example as I am typing this).

I cannot 'believe it is harmless' when my arm starts to feel whiny, because when I squeeze over my lower arm muscles I feel this painfully string of musle. And from experience I know ignoring this and going on makes it worse, and going on more makes my arms malfunction so I cannot cook and drive anymore which really sucks.

Are there any ex-RSI-sufferers who had problems at the same spot, who can give me any recommendations? I'd like this to work!

-

Excuse my grammar, I'm dutch

<font size="1"><i>Do not base your joy upon the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away.</i></font id="size1">

MikeJ

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  09:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's harmless, just painful (for now). I've had RSI for a couple of years, and I remember being pain free when I didn't use the computer. As soon as I got back to it, just like you, the pain suddenly came back. I vividly remember what you described as this painful string of muscle when you squeeze your forearm. Typing for a mere 15 minutes, would eventually result in my hands feeling weak and heavy for weeks. Here's what worked for me; I decided one day to work through the pain. Just type on the computer, and ignore the pain. It's harmless and will disappear on its own. It's not enough to intellectually understand the process, if you do not fully believe in it. After working through the pain, and reconditioned my mind and body to stop being so whiny, the pain gradually disappeared. You stated you understand and believe the theory, but further down, admitted that "you cannot believe it's harmless". It is harmless. Once you believe that, and work through the pain, you'll see for yourself and you'll be cured. Good luck in your recovery and we'll be looking forward to hear your success story!
Go to Top of Page

neilo

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
give it time. re read the MBP
get the divided mind book. It takes time sometimes
to have confidence in sarno. 3 months ago i couldnt play guitar for more than 2 minutes without pain. Now i can play for 20 minutes.
I get axious when my hands start to tighten up, then i laugh and relax. i play one more tune to "challenge" my tms then i stop.
im taking this one step at a time.
My suggestions are
keep reading tms material and put it into practice
don't rush back into normal activity, but do try.

nm
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  12:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, it's harmless. That feeling of ropiness just your muscles feeling tight and lacking oxygen, which is the usual TMS mechanism that Sarno describes.

It's hard to believe, but just try to continue believing and try a few experiments. Keep typing, reminding yourself that you can stop if it doesn't improve after a while, but you're just going to keep going and send messages to your arms and brain saying "More bloodflow!" and "Loosen up".

You really have nothing to lose. If you've been going up and down in severity for several years, you clearly can't hurt yourself permanently just by pushing through pain once. And you have everything to gain!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  13:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reactions!

I'll continue reading the material and I'll order Sarno's newest book.

However, in reply to MikeJ, I meant the (quoted) "I cannot 'believe it is harmless' when" like so: I've ignored the pain more often and it makes me end up not being able to use my arm! This is very serious. And even though it might not be harmful in means of 'permanent arm damage', it is harmful in means of making me disabled to the serious point of having to live with my parents for some weeks because then I cannot make food and do other independend stuff. I had this multiple times and I know this is all TMS, but my arms become so irritated that they become vulnerable; the last time I had this numb period I tried to lift some stuff because I had to, and the next day I had more severe pain then ever which was later diagnosed as arm nerve inflammation (I hope I write this correctly) which passed away to the point of 'my familiar numbness' using prescribed medicine but that was a REALLY scary situation. I believe the initial pain is harmless, but when this happens, yeah.. to be honest I don't think these moments are harmless. This probably throws dust in the face of my 'cure' but man..

I have to find an in-between way of being carefull and still making it work. I hope it will..

<font size="1"><i>Do not base your joy upon the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away.</i></font id="size1">
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
from experience I know ignoring this and going on makes it worse

That’s past experience, presumably, when you didn’t know about TMS. Also, it can take a while for the TMS concepts to sink in at a deeper level, even when you think you’ve accepted it.

Different people have different approaches. Some like the “all or nothing” approach, others prefer a gradual return to activity. Take your pick.

Also, if you do a search on “Success Story”, but without a space in between you’ll read some of our successes on this forum.

Hilary N

Edited by - HilaryN on 11/06/2006 16:15:54
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  17:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good thing to think about -- when I was trying to get this through my head, I read success stories and thought "If it worked for them, it can work for me."

And if you haven't read Nate and Rachel's pages, they're hugely inspirational:

http://conquerrsi.com/
http://podolsky.everybody.org/rsi/

--
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  07:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that first site is the one that lured my interest after finding it on google and made me decide to buy TMP. I heard TDM (Sarno's newest book) goes into RSI more detailed? Even though I'm not experiencing benefit yet I find Sarno's approach interesting enough to have ordered it.

The thing with those succes stories is that I see so many differences to my exact problems that I keep wondering if I'm somehow not applying to TMS (even though the TMS description sounds more sensemaking than anything I've heard about RSI lately). It's not that I want to make it difficult.. it's like an urge to pee. I can't resist..

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The thing with those succes stories is that I see so many differences to my exact problems that I keep wondering if I'm somehow not applying to TMS

In TMS, the exact symptoms are not at all important. People have many things...RSIs of all stripes, back pain, foot pain, neck pain, etc. All are manifestations of TMS.

Honestly, your symptoms do sound a lot like mine were, though of course if you look hard enough you'll see differences.

On the subject of making things hard -- it is your unconscious mind resisting having its distraction penetrated. You will manufacture reasons not to believe in TMS, reasons not to do the work, not to read the book, etc. It is just another layer in the strategy of distraction. Don't let it win.

--
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  08:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this will persist, but I definitely felt a slight decrease of complaints today! My arms still felt unconfortable, but there was less pain and I typed a lot.

My arm felt sucky again after playing guitar for a short time so I took a walk.

Anyway, I kept typing and said to myself "What is going on?"
And a voice in the back of my head said "You're beginning to believe, Neo."
lol

This is pretty exciting, it might get better.
On the other hand it's frightening.. what if this is temporarily?

However for the time being I'm like this ->

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  10:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your progress!

quote:
This is pretty exciting, it might get better.
On the other hand it's frightening.. what if this is temporarily?

I worried about this too, but it turned out to be groundless. I believe the thought that I used to mitigate this worry was:

If I am typing more and not getting worse like I did before, there is no reason that can't continue. If RSI were really physically based, there would be nothing I could do to change my reaction to it. Even my small progress means this is the right theory.

Glad to hear you are . I am to hear of your success so far.

--
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  13:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Redsandro, I think you've made a very important step and have reached that "Aha" moment. Progress can be uneven, but it's definitely upwards and you have to have patience.

Good luck!

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  17:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was indeed a nice day!

But the thing that puzzles me is that I am aware of the TMS theory for about three weeks now, and I finished MBP half a week ago, and all that time I was thinking about any personality trait or long lasting emotions or anger that would have caused the RSI and I think I didn't really find anything that made a whole lot of sense. Also I am still not sure whether the theory is correct, and still my self decided to give me this day of partial relief to let me know it can work. The fact of relief, that's the one big piece of evidence no one else can give me. On the other hand, the pain comes back sometimes on this same day for no reason. I have no control over pain going away or coming back. that makes it scary..

None the less it's cool so far.. I'll report back later!

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  00:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that once you've read the Divided Mind book you may develop more confidence in the theory of TMS.

Typing and using the mouse was very difficult for me until about a month ago. I'd quickly get to a point where my arms and hands hurt so much that I had to stop using the computer and had to limit other activities, like cooking, until the pain improved. Now I'm doing things on the computer that would have really triggered the pain for me, but it's not painful anymore.

While I didn't have numbness in my arms, I was having numbness in my feet and legs, and all the way up to my waist on one side of my body, which was thought to be due to Multiple Sclerosis. I was taking a medication called Neurontin for the numbness and nerve pain. Since accepting TMS as the cause I don't have the numbness or nerve pain and I'm almost completely weaned off the Neurontin. I had tried to reduce my dosage of the Neurontin before I learned of TMS, because I didn't like the side effects, but my numbness and nerve pain got worse, so now that I'm not having those symptoms and I'm nearly all the way off the medication I am certain it was just TMS.

I hope you'll be able to continue developing confidence in the idea of TMS and to get well quickly.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  12:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redsandro

The thing with those succes stories is that I see so many differences to my exact problems that I keep wondering if I'm somehow not applying to TMS (even though the TMS description sounds more sensemaking than anything I've heard about RSI lately).

Really !! Can't find an RSI success story. Here's one.

http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2242

Mine is the 3rd entry from the last.

Also, please search BOTH "SuccessStory:" AND "RSI".
Go to Top of Page

Gecco

9 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  14:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMS can act as a "protector" as much as it seems it is harming you. Ask yourself some tough questions. What is this pain protecting me from? Is the computer facilitiating something you hate? Resent? Wish you could runaway from? Believe it or not, there is some part of subconscious that believes that this is the right thing for you. You have to target that part, and figure what is giving it its power (fear, anger, etc). Then focus your attention on that issue and keep digging. Consider your symptoms as an annoyance and as temporary. Your fear gives it enormous power. Lastly, do not focus on the symptoms - if you are, TMS has already won.
Go to Top of Page

cheeryquery

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  14:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've spent years on this process (about 14) and still have ups and downs. Mostly, though, when I get a pain I can sternly tell it to "go away" (okay, I'm not always that polite) and it goes! Miracle.

I have lots of friends and relations who won't take Sarno seriously. They are, NONE OF THEM, doing as well as I am. They have chiropracter bills, disability claims, etc. while all I have is the knowledge that I'm doing this to myself. Often I don't know why, either. I don't' think it really matters. Fact is, life is hard and sometimes that fact is difficult to face. So we don't. We distract ourselves, with TMS pain, from the scary idea of making changes.
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  16:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had too many moments where I mistakenly thought my RSI was over to consider myself cured now that I am quite painfree for a short while. And there's still this little pain moving around my arms like TMS' tongue licking. But I did a lot better today!

I couldn't sleep last night. I couldn't stop thinking about all possible emotions and rage. Anything I came up with was recent, and I had to think of something that also bothered me 6 years ago, when my RSI started. Finally I realised that all my life, I really hated almost everyone. Excluding my friends and family ofcourse, but everyone has always been so stupid. When going out, I always got into trouble because local stupid people probably saw me as different from what they are used to. Sure I look kind of off compared to most idiots around me, but they don't have the right to judge me. When I was younger I felt almost punished to be part of humanity. As I grew up I've been more around and I know I've just always lived in places where there is an above average number of ignorant stupid rednecks and multicultural intolerant people, but still I expect to have to deal with these kind of people everywhere I go and I'm usually right, feeding my anger about everyone I don't know. My whole life I wanted to hurt these %$@! but I always restrained myself. There's not a greater piece of repressed anger in my life. At least not something that's been there for so long. That combined with the fact that I've had a lot of unfortune in my life, while all those people whom I wished to experience severe mental pain had not a trouble of similar proportions, making life seem even more unfair to me. On top of that, I don't believe in God so I could only blame this unfairness on myself. But ofcourse things didn't change so I blamed myself for uncontiously not caring about myself.

When I realised that, I had piece of mind. I slept for a hour before my phone woke me up. And a whole lot of the pain, gone!

This is actually kind of personal, but since this personal knowledge administered such a relief in pain I thought I'd share it so others know what kind of history they might be looking for in themselves.

MikeJ

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  16:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow ... it really sounds like you had a breakthrough! That's wonderful news!
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  19:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOD STUFF REDSANDRO!

Keep it coming. You won't always have to do the self-searching. All you eventualy need to do is understand how the TMS process works, and when you have pain switch your thinking to the emotional from the physical.

Let it all hang out!
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  07:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I experienced relief so my mind must have understood what was going on. However, this weekend I had a major setback (or flareup is the correct word?). I started thinking psychologically but the same mystery that decided to take the pain away earlier made it come back and I couldn't think it away again.

Now once more I'm scared to use the computer..

quote:
Originally posted by Redsandro

I have no control over pain going away or coming back. that makes it scary..

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000