TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Finished Dr. Schubiners workshop...update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  06:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well almost finished. I did the 3 week on site workshops. And I am working on the 4th weeks work that he mailed to me.

Progress... The pain in my IT band and legs has diminshed 80%. The anxiety also about 80%. Still find myself "ruminating" when numbness in feet is there. As far as the numbness goes, it's kind of strange. Over the last 4 days or so, the numbness in my little toes is pretty much gone. Some fleeting numbness occationally. This is huge for me. As having the toe and outside ball of your feet numb makes it very uncomfortable to walk. I've always had some slight numbness in outer heels with this. This seems to have intensified. My heels are more numb now that the toe numbness has subsided. Is this symptom substitution? It isn't someplace totally different. Just moved to the back of my feet.

I did notice a more psychological attachment to this. ( or maybe its just wishful thinking). Last week going into class, the numbness was moderate. Going out of class it was less. This pasted Monday I was to call Dr. Schubiner with an update. Waiting for his return call my heels were pretty numb. After his phone call when I stood up the numbness was gone for awhile.

I have noticed the last few mornings while lying in bed before getting up. I feel quite anxious. I finally just have to get up. I can't put my finger on it. Other than I am worried how the symptoms may be today. But it seems to come on before I'm even fully awake to think about these things.

So overall, yes I'm much better. But I think I have the " calendar phenomenon". Thinking I have almost finished the work and the symptoms are still there to some degree. I'm not one of those that read the book and had a "ahhh" moment, and symptoms are gone. Has it taken others weeks or months to be "cured"? What things should I be doing now to continue the progress. I am worried about back sliding once Dr. Schubiner has cut the apron strings.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. The glass is half full now, but I need to fill it to the brim.

Sage

Edited by - sagelady on 03/26/2008 06:49:20

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  12:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sage,

One thing I would advise you is read back over what you wrote about the numbness and how it comes and goes. This is completely consistent with a psychological cause and not at all consistent with a physical cause.

I would speak to Dr. Schubiner about how to continue on before you complete the workshops, and let him know you are nervous about the transition to doing more management of things yourself and what he suggests for ongoing maintenance. This is common -- I was told it also happens when close to finishing physical therapy or psychotherapy, because of the nervousness of making it on your own.

But you can do it! Mainly, if I were you, I'd focus on getting back to a normal life. :)

--
It's not 100% belief that's required, but 100% commitment.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  03:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have noticed the last few mornings while lying in bed before getting up. I feel quite anxious. I finally just have to get up. I can't put my finger on it. Other than I am worried how the symptoms may be today. But it seems to come on before I'm even fully awake to think about these things.

Some positive thinking might dispel this.

I have read The Secret by Rhonda Byrnes. It is a bit weird but says at one point that what you think you get (in so many words) which has terrorised me into thinking good thoughts.

So if you wake up and think 'am I suffering anxiety/depressed now?' - that is what you will get - anxiety/depression. If you think 'I hope my pain/numbness/ocd doesn't come back' that is what you will get pain/numbness/ocd or whatever. So you must change what you are thinking to good things that you want to have.

It has forced me to think differently which has improved my attitude to just about everything.

Anne
Go to Top of Page

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  03:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scottydog

quote:

Some positive thinking might dispel this.

I have read The Secret by Rhonda Byrnes. It is a bit weird but says at one point that what you think you get (in so many words) which has terrorised me into thinking good thoughts.

So if you wake up and think 'am I suffering anxiety/depressed now?' - that is what you will get - anxiety/depression. If you think 'I hope my pain/numbness/ocd doesn't come back' that is what you will get pain/numbness/ocd or whatever. So you must change what you are thinking to good things that you want to have.

It has forced me to think differently which has improved my attitude to just about everything.

Anne

I think that The Secret book is pretty much solely based on the 'what you give out is what you get back premise'. I haven't read the book but I think it is like an anthology of writers/thinkers who have extolled the virtues of this.

This does seem a no brainer to me. Really pretty much all events can only be interpreted by our own internal filter and how we perceive each individual event determines our reality and how we respond to triggers.

I have been a control freak my whole life but it is only recently that I've realised the folly in trying to control others and external factors when all it takes is learning to control our thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  07:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read The Secret and loved it. You get what you focus on. Continuing to dwell on ailments reaffirms them in the brain and body.
Louise Hay says that too. Change your thinking, change your life.

Sage, so happy to hear you are doing better. Keep in mind that our behavior/thoughts do not change overnight. It is a gradual process. I used to be a chronic overthinker. It has taken years to lessen, and I'm so happy I'm not like that anymore; it is such a relief. It is also what we are used to--ruminating about something--anything. So breaking the familiar (but comfortable to some extent) cycle does happen, just be patient with yourself.

I also think it's natural to have fear when you are finished with a certain program--the "what's next?" fear. It'll be ok!! Keep moving forward.

-Lori

Go to Top of Page

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  08:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all,
I read the secret awhile ago. Actually it's been about a year, before I had the TMS issues. So I didn't apply it to the current problem. But I do remember and believe the premise, " you get what you focus on." Think I'll pull it out again.

Lori brought up a good point. That our thoughts/behaviors don't change overnight. A quick fix would be nice, not reasonable though. This didn't come on overnight, it's not going to be fixed overnight. So onward I trod.

Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000