TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 My story and looking for advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AI76

3 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  06:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all

My problems started 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with chronic pelvic pain (prostatitis). The symptoms started exactly two weeks after I had a one night stand with a girl who I knew had been around so to speak. I thought I had gotten an STD and being a bit afraid of going to the doctor to explain the situation and get the tests done, I took me 9 months to do do that. The tests came back negative and I was referred to a urologist. He also prescribed antibiotics, but of course nothing improved. He said he had little to offer, but I remember he said that patients he saw with prostatitis were almost always in jobs with more or less responsibility. After that, I tried acupuncture and homeopathic remedies with no improvement. Then I discovered the work done at Stanford University on chronic pelvic pain. Their treatment consists of physical therapy to the pelvic floor combined with relaxation. Although I did not go to Stanford, I went to a qualified physical therapist 2,5 years ago. He treated some trigger points and I have done a lot of relaxation since. I have seen some improvements, but still not pain free. I would say pain levels are down from 7 to 3 and I have days where I feel virtually no pain.

I discovered Sarno about a month ago and have read the mindbody prescription. It does make a lot of sense to me. When I think about it, my symptoms did not just start after the sex incident, but also at a time where I had just started a new job where I quickly became promoted. Although I liked that fact, I still remember that it was part of me that did not want that promotion which meant more responsibility. As a matter of fact, I spent a lot of time worrying about whether I would handle the job or not. The same thing happend while I was in college when I got an internship at the campus newspaper. After a few days, I just quit the job. I knew I liked better to just sit in classes and study.

When I think about my childhood, it was quite normal. My mom was great, but perhaps a bit over protective. I remember I heavily leaned on her for security. My dad was out making the money and did not participate at all in my upbringing. Now though, he is totally different. He loves my two little daughters and plays with them all the time. Although I think this is great, I must admit that I wish he was like that with me when I was little too.

Having done some reflection on myself, I know that I am a people pleaser and I tend to shy away from responsibility.

So how do you suggest I take it from here regarding the Sarno techniques. Just reading the book and thinking about it, does have an impact on my symptoms. They disappear for some time. I have also so experienced that when I think negatively, I often get the tingeling pain. This can happen right after the bad thought, so I know there is a connection.

Thanks for the feedback

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  08:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prostatitis was a symptom for me as well and I have never had a recurrence since first learning about TMS.

Everything you need to do is spelled out in The Mindbody Prescription. More than anything else, treating TMS is about:

1. Accept that the symptoms have a psychological origin.

2. Repudiate any structural diagnosis.

3. Recondition yourself to think and react differently when you are aware of the symptoms.

4. Resume normal physical activity.

I would add that taking a long-term approach is essential. This is a life change, not a quick fix. Just do the work and trust that relief will come at its own pace.
Go to Top of Page

golden_girl

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  09:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out Scott's site at http://tms-recovery.com/ - he had very similar sounding symptoms to yours - until he found out about TMS

"F.E.A.R.
Forgive Everyone And Remember
For Everything A Reason"
Ian Brown
Go to Top of Page

mk6283

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  10:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo Dave's response completely. "Prostatitis" was also my first symptom transition following my back pain. Without a doubt a TMS equivalent. Best of luck.

Best,
MK

NOTE: chronic prostatitis and chronic pelvic pain ARE TMS equivalents, wheras other forms of prostatitis are NOT (e.g., acute prostatitis). Just thought this would be helpful for the next pelvic pain sufferer who finally (and luckily) discovers TMS and searches this forum.

Edited by - mk6283 on 03/28/2008 10:26:00
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  13:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check out "kjarvis" posts, and look into his book "personal underworld" which I think he has a link to in one of his later posts.

his experience w/ prostatitis left me cringing w/ the details. Try going to work and having to sit on a hot water bottle in front of your peers day after day...ugh..

his problem started sometime after a bladder infection, and of course he made the mistake of going to the web (like we all do) and reading about chronic prostatitis.

he's completely recovered.

Edited by - skizzik on 03/28/2008 13:47:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000