TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 seeking psychotherapy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  07:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hilary
Would you say that the psychotherapy has helped significantly?

Yes, yes and yes. As others have said, the psychotherapist should understand psychosomatic pain. Before my TMS diagnosis, I worked with a cognitive behaviorial therapist and it didn't help; in fact, my physical complaints mushroomed with her. I've been with a psychodynamic psychiatrist since January and the progress has been gradual, but steady and strong.
Go to Top of Page

Belle

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  14:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to be a bit of a jungle out there. There are plenty of 'transactional analysts', all kinds of counsellors and now I have found a 'somatic psychotherapist'. I thought I would keep looking for a 'psychodynamic psychotherapist' because I think the somatic one might want to put their hands on me. I've had more than enough of that. Very grateful for all the encouragement. I hope you all get to vote tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Hilary

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  15:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been in therapy on and off for years, and yes - it helps. It helps you to become aware of things you weren't aware of, to feel the feelings you didn't know you had, and as a result to change things. It can be very hard work and solves your problems only by helping you ultimately to know yourself better.

Hilary
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000