TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 struggle between physical versus emotional
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mom2aidan2002

14 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  14:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted a few days ago about whether TMS can be manifested as TMJ. Seems like in my search of the forum there were a lot of posts questioning whether TMJ is a true equivilant (or maybe my mind is just selectively noticing those posts).

Anyway, I am having trouble buying into my jaw pain as being emotionally based. Part of it is because I have braces, so my teeth and bite are shifting. Part of it is because my orthodontist said that healthy joints don't respond to prolonged mouth openning with TMJ, but people with problematic joints do. Specifically she said the muscles are trying to protect the joint and go into spasm. And part of it is that this pain seems more "real" than my sciatica (i.e., I physically cannot open my mouth past a certain point, my jaw is clicking in and out of place, my muscles are spasming, etc. I never had any limitations from sciatica--just excrutiating pain).

On the other hand, the long TMS suffering (but ultimately pain free) part of me is suspicious that the pain began in the absense of trauma, that the medical assistants are puzzled by my pain lasting so long, and that it started a week or so after the economic collapse, a meeting with my financial planner, and during the stress of the upcoming election. I also am obsessing about it like I do my sciatic pain when it flares up.

I just am not sure how to convince myself. And I am having a hard time with distraction from the pain. With my sciatica I would have certain positions, activities without pain--but the jaw pain is constant, so I can't easily ignore it.

Please help! I don't want to go thru 2 years of this like I did before finding Sarno with the sciatica....

Christine

I just don't know how to get the buy-in

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  17:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Wavy Soul got rid of her TMJ:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4404&SearchTerms=TMJ

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  20:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look, it's possible that some of the pain is due to the technical aspects of the braces and there are other layers of pain due to tension and overall fear (Will it ever stop? Am I addressing it? Do I have the right treatment?).

When the doctors are puzzled and throwing up their hands AND you know that you've had other Sarno-ish symptoms in the past, then why not apply the knowledge and techniques you've already acquired from going through sciatica. TMJ can absolutely be TMS.

Try to boil your pain from the braces down to "my braces can be uncomfortable when they're tightened." That's probably realistic and true. Then focus on getting the rest of your symptoms to diminish from the Sarno techniques. If you can't get your mind off the consistent pain, take some ibuprofen while you're reviewing "Healing Back Pain." Remember, you have control. Take it. You know what's going on. You told us. Now let yourself in on the news and don't doubt it.
quote:
On the other hand, the long TMS suffering (but ultimately pain free) part of me is suspicious that the pain began in the absense of trauma, that the medical assistants are puzzled by my pain lasting so long, and that it started a week or so after the economic collapse, a meeting with my financial planner, and during the stress of the upcoming election. I also am obsessing about it like I do my sciatic pain when it flares up.

Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  09:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES, I did.

Do read my posts on this - I can remember describing my process a few times.

Bottom line: it was SO painful that I thought I would die. I took painkillers moderately and kept affirming that it was emotional, not physical. Had to eat liquid food for months and lost too much weight.

Tried then rejected the complex dental explanations which were just doctors "fishing," because that's what they do (bless them).

After a week of teaching a seminar, basically, about TMS, while having the jaw/tooth/stomach pain of TMJ, and saying over and over again to 30 people that it was my TMS, it suddenly, inexplicably disappeared on the last day of the seminar.

heh heh - tricky bugger, this TMS

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  04:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had tmj. it was tms. it is gone now.

---
author of tms-recovery . com

(not sh!t, champagne)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic