TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 One last question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnaccardi

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  17:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been feeling a little bit worse lately and I think one reason is because I have been back on this forum too much. I am making a goal after this post not to come on here until after thanksgiving. Except for reading the answers to this post.

So my last question is...I noticed Sarno describes a lot about what is going on physically in TMS. The pain is caused from mild oxygen deprivation and it is important to know this as it helps tremendously in stopping the brains strategy.

There is no explanation anywhere that I have been able to find for my tongue symptoms. I know I used to say it was dry mouth but recently I noticed it's not. My mouth really isn't dry, I have more saliva than most people probably do.

My symptoms are that my tongue feels tingly and my tongue feels slow and lazy and twisted when I try to speak. I focus on these symptoms a lot so I fear speaking and it always feels uncomfortable...Anyway, I'm just realizing that the tongue is a muscle too. Could it be that the same type of mild oxygen deprivation that causes back pain is also causing these sypmtoms in my tongue.

The mystery of it makes it scary. It would be like if Sarno told people he didn't know what was causing their back pain. I just feel lost, I would like to know what's going on physically. Does my theory sound possible? Does anyone have any other ideas that could help me solve this?

Thanks.

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  08:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, if you have second thoughts about spending time on this Forum, I'd go with my gut. You may find a break helpful. I come here to help with what I've learned and because I love this stuff; I don't think I'd come here looking for help.

Does it really matter whether the pain is from mild oxy deprivation? I think this can turn into over-analyzing. It's not likely a mind/body symptom like allergies, IBS or frequent urination are due to oxy dep. I view any issue I get, occasional hive or pain (I got shoulder pain 2 Sunday nights in a row now--I really dislike getting up early on Mondays!) as what it is. A mind/body issue and I need to check my emotions. I don't analyze it more than that from a physical angle. I know a man whose dry eyes were diagnosed as TMS; so why can't a dry tongue be TMS? Maybe explore if you need to say something to someone and you have not, or are afraid to. Fear of speaking to people because you're afraid of what they'll think, etc. This fear would affect the tongue.

John, if you work with what you already know, you'll be fine. Have faith you have the knowledge to heal yourself. That is truly something for which to be grateful.

I think if you keep learning about how the mind affects the body, and pursue your psy major, you would be an exceptional therapist!

Hugs to you,

Lori

Edited by - mizlorinj on 11/04/2008 08:59:15
Go to Top of Page

johnaccardi

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mizlorinj. You are always there to respond to my posts...I appreciate it. I am only thinking about the physical because I have always feared dry mouth. I can't seem to get away from some conditioned fear against dry mouth. So then I started thinking, "well, maybe it's not even dry mouth." It really doesn't seem like a dry mouth now that I break it down and think about it. It just feels like a tingly twisted tongue.

I'm not doubting the fact that it's TMS or that a dry mouth could be TMS. I'm only saying it's easier for me to deal with the oxygen dep. rather than saliva dep. because I don't fear it.

So, I was posting this to see if oxygen dep. seems like a possible cause of the symptoms I'm feeling.
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where'd you get the fear of dry mouth?
Go to Top of Page

johnaccardi

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  18:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny you ask because there was a very distinct moment when I developed the fear of dry mouth:

When I got to college, I had never smoked marijuana before. My 2 roommates smoked like 4 times a day and so did most the kids on my floor. I always wanted to try it but I was a little nervous because I didn't know what to expect to feel. It took me about 2 weeks of living with these kids before I tried it with them one night. We took a walk, a long walk, while we smoked. It was me and 6 other guys from my floor. It was my first time and they all smoked regularly, so I was very nervous. I took a few good hits and didn't feel anything. I wanted to feel something so I took more, a lot more. All of a sudden a wave hit me. I felt so weird. Everyone else seemed to be having a good time but I felt terrible. I couldn't function, I had a full blown panic attack and I was on a walk at night about a mile from my dorm. I cared so much about what they thought, so I stayed quiet and tried to just walk in the direction they were walking. I had no idea where I was, I couldn't even really see, it was crazy...the world was fake. During all this, my mouth became extremily dry. I mean no saliva at all. I think it was a combo of the marijuana and the anxiety. It was so dry and I couldn't say a word, I remember not being able to speak frightened me because the people I was with would think I was so weird...as I couldn't even explain how I was feeling to them. The dry mouth was the worst thing in the world. My mind was in such a panic and my perceptions were so distorted, I actually believed for a while that I was going to dry up and die. Anyway, it was the worst and scariest night of my life.

I guess this experience showed my mind that dry mouth brings out my social fears. I would also relate dry mouth to this terrible experience...one more reason to fear it. I believe it was this experience that chose my symptom for me.
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  18:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know what you mean about the pot. it can really put people who already have some issues into a total tailspin. i just avoid the stuff like the plague. it just makes me feel horrible.

you sound really self conscious. i know how that can be. it's pretty torturous to have to have that much control over your self image. this is something you probably need to start to let go of.

---
author of tms-recovery . com

(not sh!t, champagne)
Go to Top of Page

johnaccardi

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  07:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think most people with TMS would get a bad reaction from marijuana? It's interesting. When I smoked this, like I said I was 2 weeks into college, and 2 weeks before the symptom began. The rage was really building...and I know there was so much rage inside of me. Last February, at the peak of my TMS, the rage must have been out of control because I had so many symptoms, so many distractions. I had the dry mouth, I had hypocondriasis (sjogren's syndrome), I developed dry eyes, hip pain, dry skin, psoriasis, lymph node pain, numbness in my arms, depression, and a crazy amount of obsession with all this. I would sit on the computer and look all this stuff up all day everyday and want to kill myself while doing it. The rage that needed this must have been crazy. Then I randomly found a Sarno book at a book store and bought it after flipping through it for all of 2 minutes, It had to do with back pain but I thought maybe it could help. If I didn't find that book I know I would have either killed myself by now or put myself into a mental institution. God gave me that book just when I needed it. Now I only see the dry mouth and a slight obsession/fear with it. But, it seems to be getting just a little better every week.

Anyway, sorry for the whole story I just kind of went off there, It feels good to tell.
Go to Top of Page

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  07:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows? Everyone is different. It was a long time ago for me, and I hated it. I felt super paranoid. However, I would think there are some people who use it as a way to self-medicate for pain, anxiety and depression.

In any case, I wonder if it helps that you've connected your symptom to that one incident. Maybe that would also be an excellent way to disconnect--both from the incident and the symptom, all at the same time.

Edited by - winnieboo on 11/05/2008 07:11:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000