TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Any RSI Hand sufferers???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cliptomaniac

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  16:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys

I suffer from RSI in my hands. The pain 95% of the time comes when i type. I practice TMS (Which I believe I have due to my story being the same as a lot of people here) but the pain only comes when I type (Like now). It seems like a lot of people have it all the time and using TMS helps get rid of that pain but never mention if they can type ok, without the pain for hours later.

What advice would you give me to help my chronic pain and get rid of these symptoms that is ruining my life :-(?

Thanks guys

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  10:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My RSI all started from computer use. First just painful to click the mouse, and then it was painful just when typing, then a gradual deterioration....

which might sound depressing, BUT, i'm now typing this by hand, with nothing more than mild tingling. I couldn't have done even more than a few words a month ago, without severe pain, which would have lasted for hours.....

and literally it has all been from embracing TMS.

1. Journal. Every day. In silence. Write about what makes you stressed, what is on your mind today, events from the past that are unpleasant etc etc. Back it up with a quiet period every day of meditation. Try getting used to switching your brain off....
2. exercise. As much as you can - go swimming, running, do weights. It'll make you feel good about yourself, and exercise helps deal with stress too....
3. stop being afraid of the pain - there is nothing structurally wrong with you. I've had RSI for over three years, and yet now after a month of TMS-ing i have virtually the same functioning abilities that i did before the condition started.
4. keep pushing the boundaries - set a target each week, "today I'm going to type 50 words...." "today I'm going to type 100 words...." etc etc.

hope this helps a little - stay positive! it's not a life sentence.
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  17:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me!

I would second everything that Gibbon wrote.

I also find that if I just convince myself that I am fine and ignore the pain, the pain tends to diminish over the next several days. I think that TMS thrives on attention and fear.

The greatest gains that I have made have been when I have decided to "call the RSI's bluff" and do more than I thought was possible. Gently ramping up to higher levels of physical activity can help with this. I remember having symptoms in my wrists for many months and then helping to screw a bunch of planks into a wooden floor a little while later. I thought to myself, "if I can do this, what am I worried about?"

Forest
tmswiki.org
Go to Top of Page

kelvin

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  21:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of the problem lies in the statement "RSI pain...".

It is not RSI pain, it is TMS pain.

I have to admit that the TMS pain in my hand and wrist was one of the last to go and it still comes back every now and then.

But, I went from not even being able to lift a glass of water and from having my fingers burn just from touching a keyboard to now where I hardly ever have any pain at all.

It always goes back to the subconscious. When I realized that the problem was that most of the time I spent on the keyboard was doing things I really did not enjoy – things that caused anger which I repressed – it gave me the freedom to just go ahead and get done what I had to do. I not only would scream at my hand but at the keyboard as well.

I find it interesting that when I type in my journal it never bothers my hand or wrist at all.

Kelvin

Additional TMS files and links http://www.etexwebservices.net/kelving (may not work with FireFox browser)
Go to Top of Page

cliptomaniac

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  17:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for repply guys
@kelvin - I spend a lot of time on computer and love it. Been trying to think what i hate but cant without making things up to just find

@gibbon - exactly how mine started. Mouse, then typing them all fingers and hand.

I noticed that the worst day I have had all week was the same day i got some bad news....i doubt you are surprised :-)
Go to Top of Page

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  16:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi clipto

it might not be so much things you consciously "hate" - but a subconscious defensive reaction to stress. You might even consciously enjoy an activity but it still might be storing up a great deal of stress nevertheless. I really think that my RSI started as a response to the stress of using the computer (both at work and for online poker), it provided a relief for my body by preventing me from continuing with that same level of stressful activity.....
Go to Top of Page

cliptomaniac

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbon

hi clipto

it might not be so much things you consciously "hate" - but a subconscious defensive reaction to stress. You might even consciously enjoy an activity but it still might be storing up a great deal of stress nevertheless. I really think that my RSI started as a response to the stress of using the computer (both at work and for online poker), it provided a relief for my body by preventing me from continuing with that same level of stressful activity.....

Good point Gibbon as I can see the reason for stress. However, what now? STuff still needs to get done. Is it a case of acknowledging as whatever happens, i could relate to stress and computer use even if TMS is cleared up

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  00:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya

you're right, we can't live without stress - it's a case i think of learning to live with it/deal with it. I suppose its possible that if the stress from your job was unmanageable you might have to think about doing something else, but obviously that's a pretty drastic step, and maybe not necessary.

I just came back from a short holiday abroad, the day of travelling my RSI symptoms flared up to a level they haven't been like for over a couple of months. It was obviously a response the stress of travelling. Now this wasn't conscious stress - if you'd asked me if i was stressed by going on holiday previously i would have said absolutely not, after all holidays are about having fun! But my body was telling me differently. At an uconscious level it was obviously having an effect.

Once you've recognised this its actually quite useful. It's a bit like having a window to your unconscious mind. And you can use it to start taking some time out to relax when it triggers. Meditate, journal, do exercise, do your positive matras.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned going to see Georgie Oldfield in Huddersfield - i'm doing a 6 week course with her, it's definitly been of use for me. I can email you more details if your interested.....
http://www.painreliefwestyorkshire.co.uk/index.php?pagename=tms_moreinfo

Edited by - Gibbon on 10/29/2009 00:22:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000