TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 So much better
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cavbalto

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  09:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I've been meaning to write for a wile now to let others know that this TMS stuff really works-- even if it's slower and less "linear" that we might wish. I had sciatic and hip pain starting last summer that came on gradually and then got worse and worse until it was interfering with sleep and life. I went to a doctor and had an MRI which showed the usual degenerative disk changes (I'm 55 yrs. old). After one PT session and a course of steroids I started reading up on Dr. Sarno (had heard about him for years thanks to Howard Stern). While reading HBP, I had the common experience of seeing myself on every page and started to work the program. I eliminated all the PT stuff and stopped all drugs. I started doing all the physical activities i had cut back on and started doing more and more reading including the TMS forum. Well, it's been about 3 months and I am sooo much better. Not 100% -- but a LOT BETTER! I still have some pain in the mornings and especially on weekend mornings when there is unstructured time ahead. (Anxieties about starting a new day?) But I am completely able to do all the activities I feared I would have to curtail (biking, hiking, running, driving, sitting for extended periods) and I'm sleeping much better. More importantly I am developing some habits of introspection and consciously acknowledging feelings of fear and rage that I was just trying to ignore and rise above, push through or something. I'm trying to allow myself to feel some of these bad, sad, angry resentful feelings as well as trying to avoid some of them by eliminating goodist and perfectionist tendencies when I see/feel them rearing up. Big stumbling blocks for me are feelings of low self-esteem and unhappiness regarding my looks and aging. There is still a lot of work to do there but at least I know deep down that my body is strong and healthy. It is so empowering to have looked at this pain-thing squarely and worked through it to such a large extent. I am looking forward to pain-free mornings!

francisair

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  08:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cav,

Thanks for your story. I also have hip and sciatica pain. I actually had surgery on Oct 1st for a ruptured disc and found Sarno after. I am constantly confusing myself about whether the sciatica is from general nueropathy from the surgery or TMS wanting to control me as i'm finally looking within to my emotions for answers. I think it's from TMS and I am doing phyisical activities but am still frightened of the pain. Your story as well as others give me hope. Thanks Again
Go to Top of Page

cavbalto

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  10:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Francisair,
Thanks f or your note and good luck with the pain. While I still have good days and less good days , I am totally convinced that the TMS diagnosis is right on for me and that eventually I will have great days. It is hard to ignore the pain--- I don't really do that. I more pay attention to it and try to figure out what may be bothering me psychologically to cause it. I find that deep breathing while I "look within" helps some and then internal reassurances that I'm OK and that this pain is benign help too. This morning for example, I had some real pain when I woke up and I think it had to do with stuff stirred up by my dreams. I am still feeling the remnants of that pain now--5 hours later-- but it's fading. This stuff is not easy or fun but I do believe it provides a chance to know and confront yourself on a deeper level and that with acceptance and self-love will come less pain. I wish that for you!!
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  14:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story. It really seems that you have the right frame of mind.

I've always said the goal should not be to be 100% pain free. The goal should be to diffuse the pain's ability to affect your life. It's OK to experience some pain as long as you accept the cause is psychogenic, and do not fear a structural issue or worsening of the symptoms. If you reinforce this continually the pain will fade slowly on its own. You shouldn't care if it takes a month or a year or a decade, because it doesn't matter, as long as you can live your life without the fear and learn to effectively ignore the pain.

Good job!
Go to Top of Page

makeupservice

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  05:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Im new to this ,but after a fairly good quick recovery from low back pain,had a major relapse in the form of sciatic pain,and ileo tibial pain (anterior thigh muscle) which was excruciating and had me up every night walking around and taking strong painkillers.Went to see my TMS practitioner who proved to me by a series of tests that it was TMS ,so I started the recovery programme again,read more Dr Sarno,and am feeling much better.Does anyone out there have any further advice for me please.

makeupservice
Go to Top of Page

cavbalto

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  14:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makeupservice, are you new to the TMS forum or new to TMS? You have a TMS practitioner-- that's a huge step up. So you're probably way ahead of many of us! But if you want my advice, it is to keep reading! Read Sarno over and over but read others too. There are several great books and blogs and such by doctors and therapists and people who have gone through this. There's tons of advice-- clean thoughts, inner child work, acceptance, non-acceptance... tons of stuff and yes, not all of it will resonate with you but some of it will. somethings will help you get a better and better handle on your pain. Try different techniques and listen in to your feelings. You'll benefit from people who've gone a long way down the road to figuring this chronic pain thing out. Or their advice and ideas will help you figure out something unique that works for you. Good luck!

Dave, thank you so much for the encouragement! I've had three good days in a row-- including the snowstorm days!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000