TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Spondylolisthesis.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom_tom

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  02:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok this is rather confusing for me.
I hurt my back roughly 6 months ago deadlifting in the gym.
It was so painfull. I got myself very worked up and worried about. So I went to an osteopath. About 3 month after the injury. He said I may have a spondylolisthesis. But he couldn't be sure. As I had no xrays. So after telling me that and showing me a picture of it and scaring me half to death, and telling me not to lift things. my pain seemed to get worse, and I then lived in constant fear of my back. I stopped going to the osteopath and read sarno. And it reassured me. I stareted doing as his book said. And it's realy worked. I'm almost 100% pain free. But still scared of my back. What the osteopath has stuck with me and is always scaring me.
I've noticed my pain comes back when I'm stressed out. Especialy anxious or angry. I have a jonb that makes me anxious. ( I have to talk to large groups of people to teach them how to use se equiptment) do you think I have tms?

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  05:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes.......yes I do. More importantly do you think you have TMS?
Go to Top of Page

Tom_tom

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  07:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, i do think i have it.
But the osteopath confused me so much. he said i could hav spondy, or spina bifida occulta, as he cant find a spinous process, but my soine seems to go in the normal shape.
he left me total terrified and very upset, saying i shouldnt lift things anymore, especialy when one of my favourite passtimes is to lift heavy things and to run around.
im only 21 and i fel what he told me has given me a life sentence.
i believe whole heartedly in tms and i believe i have it, but how can i get rid of that last bit of doubt left by the negative suggestion given by my osteopath?
sorry to ask such a long question, just need help proccessing it :)
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  09:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spondy is mentioned in Dr. Sarno's books, videos and Audiobooks. Hit the TMS "penicillin knowledge" to overcome the nocebo the osteopath has implanted into your brain.

Dr. Sarno emphatically states that the spine is strong, and if the weight was too heavy to lift, you couldn't lift it. Too many doctors think they are doing their patients good by scaring them, they are not!

This may be because in modern medicine, they so seldom see their patients, they feel they need to give them some motherly advice to keep them safe.

When I had back pain, I did a three day yoga back-bending workshop. After successfully completing it I never had any doubts about the strength of my back again.

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6415

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  17:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom tom,
what you have to understand is the majority of the medical folks are brainwashed with the 'physical only' mentality. My sister in law is the same....she thinks TMS is BS. What is interesting is that you have had only one opinion and the mind hangs on to it in order to keep the condition real for you. You'll just have to accept that there will be doubt there for some time......you just don't have to BELIEVE it. When it comes up, say "oh there's that doubt story again'. I convinced myself I had spondy once also, as it's easy to do......I then had to convince myself I didn't have it. It can be done....you just have to have more commitment than your mind, if you know what I mean. Look, does it serve you to think you have spondy or to think you have TMS? Your osteo can't diagnose TMS cause he doesn't know of it or doesn't believe in it, so it's not really an objective diagnosis.......trust me, if you buy into the medical story you will never be free of pain, fear or suffering.

D
Go to Top of Page

Tom_tom

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  14:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thannks for the answers. Both very helpfull.
Darko, i totaly agree, with the fact that most medical folks are brainwashed with the "only physical" as do most average people. i would call myself an average person. but i totaly believe in a mind-body connection. i believe more so in a mind-body appraoch than a physical approach.
what i think my problem is, is that im terribly unsure,
the osteopath i went to (only went 3 times) has said i MIGHT have a spondylolisthesis. but he isnt sure, ive had no x rays done.
the uncertainty i believe has contributed a silly ammount to this.
also, to make me believe more in TMS, i just got back from the hospital, as my grandad is ill, i had to give my nan a lift home.
now. I HATE hospitals, and my nan is the most negative person in the world. the combination of the two, made me feel a twinge in my back and now im home im absolutely fine.
haha im convinced i do have TMS.
Darko, could you kindly share your story with me, as i believe hearing your story would help me greatly, as you thought you had a similar thing to what i may have.

i dont know if i made it clear in my first post, but im not in excruciating pain, most days i wake up with a stiff back which loosens up after about half hour. but sometimes i do get a twinge and a bit of pain which soon passes. usualy after a stressfull situation. But 90% of the time im in no pain whatsoever, im just thinking about it lik 98% of the time, im always adjusting my posture and feeling my back where the gap in my back sems to be.

so my main problem is that im feeling more paranoid about it then in pain from it
Go to Top of Page

Tom_tom

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  14:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im sorry for the crazily long replies, i just have so much to say about it, and i feel like i dont want to miss anything out. although, its hard to say in text. and i find, im typing and writing down terribly, im usualy good at writing lol, but im just writing this as i feel it, so its coming out a bit of a jumble
Go to Top of Page

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  17:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mate have a look at my previous posts as I have mentioned my story up here before.....I'm just very busy at the moment and you could end up waiting until next week. And yes I have very similar symptoms to you. You're at the pointy end of the deal now.....you'll need to just commit to TMS, forget about anything else and just focus on doing the work needed. There is a book that will provide you some assistance......can't remember the name of it and don't have it handy as we haven't unpacked the books yet....just moved house. Anyway the guys name is Scott Brady I think, he has some good tips in there. I found establishing a TMS ritual and sticking to it helps.....when I stick to it :-) I really started looking at how my mind works and what it thinks about......crap thoughts (worry, negative, not having faith things will work out ok) = TMS! I just cannot state it any simpler than that.

D

Let me know if you have any further questions
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  08:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom Tom,

Spondylolisthesis can be a scary diagnosis, but Dr. Sarno says that he believes it is a manifestation of TMS. On page 74 of MBP Sarno writes “The cause of the condition is mysterious, but in my experience the disorder is painless...I have yet to see someone with spondylolisthesis who did not have TMS.” There are more quotes and information about Spondylolisthesis on the TMSWiki Specific Symptom and Diagnoses page .

Also, the book by Scott Brady is called Pain Free for Life. He calls TMS, Autonomic Overload Syndrome (AOS), but for the most part he gives good advice on how to get better. The TMSWiki has a book page with more information about it also at http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Pain+Free+for+Life .

Forest

Forest (My story at tmswiki.org)
Go to Top of Page

salamander

85 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  03:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have spondy. I was diagnosed with it when I had my back pain. Dr. recommended fusion and I declined. Around that time I discovered Sarno and have been pain free ever since.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  14:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom_tom:

I believe you have TMS. I'm really starting to believe so much pain out there is TMS. I started to count my friends who have back problems, and it is so much out of the norm of what it should be. The only malady striking more often than back pain seems to be the common cold.

I am also old enough to remember when backs weren't a problem and everybody seem to have an ulcer. All my aunts/uncles, great aunts/uncles all had a bad stomach; yet they seemed to outlive it and not even get a bad back into their 70's, 80's and 90's.

I'm new to TMS and am still filling my brain and being with it.

My diagnosis was very scary: T-7/8 disc protruding very large to the left. One little move and I lose bladder/bowel control and am paralyzed, supposedly. Then I read the Sarno lit and find out that many, many people have protruding discs. Not only that, the injury I attribute this to caused no pain what-so-ever. My pain came a full six months later when I was stressed (and angry) by so many things over the years that I woke up with the beginnings of it; then even later heard/felt (not even sure) the much described "snap" in my back.

Since then, doctors have scared me to death, though a few have conjectured that they do not think the disc is causing my on-going distress. But they do believe it is structural somehow.

The more I practice the thought of the brain causing the pain the easier it is for me, though I have setbacks on some days. I tend to obsess over the pain and discomfort, so I really have to work to distract myself.

I am also trying to stay out of "What if" Land and focus on the Here and Now. Ain't easy, but I understand young brains are much more flexible than the older ones like mine filled with cobwebs.

You will get there!

Doctors aren't god! In many cases, they are guessing about the back, and if you really probe them they will as much as admit it.

Edited by - Back2-It on 10/31/2010 14:49:58
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  18:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just go to your regular genral practitioner and explain your fear and have him order you a low back x ray. Spondylolisthesis is on the checklist for things they look for. Should'nt be a problem. X-rays are cheap compared to image scans. Even if you did'nt have insurance, is'nt it worth a hundred bucks to rule it out. And if you have it, so what?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000