TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Implants in the body- Reason for pain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heelsdown

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  19:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. I am struggling. I do believe that most of my foot pain- tingling, aching, tendonitis, is DEFINATELY due to TMS. And I'm working on it. It's a lot better than it was.

But here is where I am getting stuck. Sarno says that structural "abnormalities" do not cause pain. I understand that. So, might an artificial implant in the body to FIX a structural abnormality cause pain??

Here is my case: BEFORE I knew about TMS, I had titanium stents (looks like a little screw or bullet) implanted in my ankles to fix overpronation and flat feet, which I thought was the cause of my pain. Now I know that flat feet were NOT the cause. But what is done is done, and the problem is corrected. I am 8 months out from one surgery, 4 from the other. And I still have a lot of ankle pain and stiffness. If I step the wrong way I have pain. I do not have my full range of motion due to stiffness.

Now, I just don't know if these symptoms are: (A) due to me not tolerating the implants (even though x-rays show everything is good). (B) due to still recovering from surgery (even though according to a normal timeline, I should have less pain by now). (C) Due to TMS. or (D) A mix of still recovering and TMS.

Ughhhh. Everything is in the right place on x-rays. Appearantly about 5% of the time, these implants need to be removed due to pain. I have been getting progressively better... able to walk/stand longer. But I still have issues when stepping wrong or stretching beyond where I am comfortable.

These problems do seem to improve a little when I think of them as TMS. But then I start obsessing that this is not a NATURAL structural abnormality. It is now a man-made one! And what if my body cannot fully adapt to it?? I shouldn't have this much pain still at this point out from surgery.

Any opinions on how to go about this?? Is it due to TMS or the surgery/implants? If it is due to TMS, how do I convince myself to get rid of my doubts??!! My brain just keeps bouncing back there.

Haha... when I read this post back it is so obvious I obsess over things (typical tms). Help.

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  03:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can tell when pain is TMS often because it doesn't follow common sense. If your pain occurs exactly when you do certain movements then it's a physical thing. If it occurs inconsistently, randomly, or in contradictory circumstances (ie. when on tiptoes but not when climbing stairs) then it's likely TMS.

Hope that helps!

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson
Go to Top of Page

heelsdown

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  22:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I agree that if pain is only with certain movements, that it is definately physical. Maybe it is a lot of the time. But what about people who get pain in their back when bending to a certain degree? Isn't that part of the conditioned response?

Anyone have any more opinions on my case, or in the case of "man-made" structural abnormalities in general? Like joint replacements, spine fusions, screws, plates, etc?

Also, what about prolonged stiffness after a surgery?
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  18:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pain patterns per se...with certain movements, not with other movements can just as easily be TMS as not. Nor is "common sense" necessarily very helpful. "injuries" can make perfect sense yet still be TMS. Classic situation, a person lifts something, hears a crack, and finds himself crawling around on the floor with back spasms. Sure seems logical, which is why it's so hard to convince people to the contrary.

Were I in your situation I'd think seriously about getting those implants removed, but I'd do a lot of research before doing so. Generally, I think it's tragic how surgeons will do these things to young people especially (I"m assuming you're quite young) with no clear idea whatsoever about long term outcomes. Just my unqualified opinion of course.

I can see how these would greatly complicate your thinking.
Go to Top of Page

Forfeet

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  00:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heels,

I was thinking about recently Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets and another center, Zydrunas Ilgauskas who both had radical surgeries for the purpose of reshaping their feet due to chronic injury problems. I have read that several screws were put in their feet as part of the surgery. Ilhauskas has played 8 seasons with the surgery without problems and I assume relatively if not completely pain free. Yao has just come back to playing from the surgery which kept him out a whole season while recovering.

My point in all this is these guys (and plenty of others) have man-made structures in their feet and are able to play a very intense sport. I would assume their pain is minimal or they would not be able to play. It also took time before they could return and even then had to start slow, playing less minutes than normal. Your stiffness may be part of your recovery and may be due to reduced activity on your feet over the time you had the surgery. It may take time before your feet regain the flexibility they had so your continued efforts to be active may contribute to this process.

Art may have a point about researching the need for the implants but perhaps over stressing is not necessary at this point. I had pain in my piriformis muscle for a year before it completely subsided. It might just take a little more time than you had hoped. I would support you to be as judicious in looking at all your options as you seem to already be but stay hopeful and be as patient as possible under the circumstances. Time may prove to be your ally. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

heelsdown

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  01:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi art and forfeet.

Thank for your responses and points. I am young-ish. 25. And I really wish I knew about tms before I had the surgery.

I now know that I do not need the implants, since my overpronation and flat feet were not causing the pain. However, getting them removed presents the complications of more surgery. And with any surgery, there are risks! Plus all the recovery time.

I am 8 months out from one foot, 4 from the other. So, I would think I should still give it more time, since I seem to still be gradually improving. And really, if many people have this surgery without pain after, why should I have continued pain? If everything is in the right place! So I am hopeful it will subside.

But I do think about getting them removed since they don't seem to have been necessary. But then again, if they keep improving, why risk another surgery? hmmmm.

Art, what kind of research do you suggest I do? Having a tms type personality, you can imagine I have already done as much googling as humanly possible.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  06:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heels

Those implants are complicating your life several fold, as if TMS weren't complicated enough. You've come a long way with the recognition that the implants weren't necessary. By research I mean talking to surgeons who've had experience removing them. The more the better. It's not an easy decision so you want just as much info as possible.

And believe me, 25 is as young as young can be. Enjoy :>)

A.
Go to Top of Page

heelsdown

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  19:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Art,

So, you seem to think that I should investigate getting the implants removed. I do know that it is a relatively simple procedure, BUT it is still surgery none the less. It would probably put me out at least 6 weeks for each foot. In terms of recovery. Which is a problem. Since I work on my feet. And really need my income right now. With my job if I don't work, there is no pay at all. Plus I have just started working and doing what I love after 2 years of NOT b/c of pain. And I really dont want to stop now.

Art, I appreciate your response and don't mean this to be negative- I am just trying to think about this from all angles (it helps me to type things out). I am not sure I should even think about getting them out at this point in the game. If I went to any doctor and told them I still had pain (which is minimal), I know they would tell me to give it more time since I am only 4 and 8 months out from each surgery. And the pain is still getting progressively better it seems. I am just a worrier and obsess over it thinking it may stay forever.

I think the logical thing to do for me right now is firstly, STOP OBSESSING AND WORRYING. And just give it more time. And if over time the pain reduces and/or eventually goes away totally, I think it might be silly to still have them removed. Right? I'm not sure. On the one hand I would worry about the implants possibly causing problems later on. But on the other, why go through more surgery if there's no problems? Tons of people have this surgery with no problems or limitations to activities after.

And really, the pain in the surgery area right now is not really impeading my daily activites or stopping me from doing anything. Where it IS impeading me is in my BRAIN! OBSESSING AND WORRYING! arghh.

Any thoughts on any of that rambling?
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  08:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey heels,

Bear in mind I'd never presume to give you direct advice about such a thing. I'm advising you to give the matter consideration is all. For all I know it's not recommended that you take these out so quickly. And you'd not doubt get a lot of pushback from any surgeon you talk to so early on, as you point out.

All that said, I've no doubt that in the fullness of time, based on how things are going, you'll make a wise decision :>)

Edited by - art on 10/31/2010 08:07:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000