TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Foot pain structural or TMS? Advice appreciated.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forfeet

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  03:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently I posted a much longer post about my foot pain. Basically wondering if anyone has any thoughts about hallux rigidus, or arthritis of the big toe? Also wondering if anyone has heard of tendenosis, a chronic form of tendonitis. Are these just podiatric terms for what is likely TMS or could there be both structural and TMS issues at work? Thanks for any feedback.

Martina

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  04:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose it could be a combination of both really. I am a Bowen Technique practitioner and use Bowen and NLP as a combination to help people. Very often the emotional stuff starts surfacing after a few Bowen treatments since Bowen balances the autonomic nervous system. This is how I got into learning about Dr. Sarno and Dr. Schubiner's takes on TMS and MDS apart from now understanding my own symptoms. If in doubt I always start with Bowen, that helps with activating the body's own healing power, and see what the body brings up.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  11:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Martina,

From an academic view, now that you have discovered TMS, have you given any thought to switching professions from a body oriented perspective to a psychological one? There are very few TMS practitioners on the planet and it could be more lucrative financially to switch fields.

Dr. Sarno did away with physical therapy approaches, early on, because he found it focused the patient on the structural rather than the mind.

As a body worker, you have a captive audience to expose client's to TMS in a relaxed setting. But after that, if the patient accepts the premise, Dr. Sarno espouses to stop all physical treatments. My question would be how do you reconcile your work with TMS theory?

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6415

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/29/2010 08:34:16
Go to Top of Page

Martina

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  10:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a very good question Tom, which I feel I can't answer at this stage. I've only recently come across Dr. Sarno's books and started working with the idea of TMS in more detail. I have always recognized and acknowledged the bodymind link in the work I do hence have chosen the specturm from Bowen to NLP which includes Time Line Therapy, which is a brilliant tool to release the negative emotion, like completely unhook it from the negative experience i/o just acknowledging the emotion. This is the difference between what Dr. Sarno says and what I do at the moment and which I need to think about and study a bit more to fully understand. You are saying Dr. Sarno completely stops physical intervention of any kind, I was not even aware of that. Sorry if I have stepped on any toes, having given my first comment. The way I look at Bowen is, whilst it is a physical application it works on mental & emotional & spiritual planes as well. I am coming from using Bowen as a tool to help finding out the underlying emotion in order to accept it or release it for that matter. The body brings up emotions through the application of Bowen. I am still intrigued on how we can accept the underlying repressed emotion without knowing what it is? Or is that completely irrelevant? I was just wondering yesterday if it is all about just acceptance and living in the moment as Eckart Tolle says, so I am glad you asked me that questions. I would love to be a TMS practitioner and started looking at the website - there are only 3 or 4 in England. It's a huge challenge and I am up for it and certainly need to learn more about the concept. I still have backpain on my own which I haven't been able to shift yet, despite I have acknowledged the link. I seem to think I know what emotion is causing it but can't or won't change my situation at the moment. With the TMS concept as I understand it so far, that won't even be necessary. Just acknowledge the emotion and the pain should fade. There is something I am missing. It's brilliant to be part of this forum and I will keep on reading the posts and the books and see what happens over time. Thank you. M
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  10:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Martina and I'm glad you took my question it the spirit I meant it to be. Dr. Sarno, in his second book I believe, mentions that with great reluctance, he stopped prescribing PT to his patients. He said his therapists were a fine and dedicated group but physical therapy was a distraction from focusing on the emotional.

I've tired more than my fair share of physical approaches as I list in my Bio. I recall a very emotional Cranial Sacral session that released a lot of emotion about my mother's death. Sometime later I had another CS session with another practitioner and nothing. I realized that it may not be the particular modality but the practitioner that creates breakthrough moments.

I would strongly recommend you get Dr. Sarno's Audiobook of "HEALING BACK PAIN". I've read all of the Good Doctor's books, word for word, several times, but hearing him talk about TMS brought new understanding of the workings of his theory. It will answer many of your questions.

As far as getting to the "kernel" moment that "caused" ones TMS, he says that is not important. It is only necessary to understand the theory that emotions can cause real but benign pain. Dr. Sarno says the mind is too complex to understand it's workings and that it doesn't matter.

In your position as a physical practitioner, you are in a good position to introduce TMS to your patients. Most of them probably will not be interested because they need their pain as a defense mechanism. In Dr. Sarno's latest book, "THE DIVIDED MIND", he gives the view that TMS is a PROTECTOR and not a punisher, as Freud theorized. Viewed from that perspective, the roll of psychosomtic/TMS induced pain can be better appreciated. Of the several TMS doctor's I've met, it's a small part of their practice. Most patients aren't interested in hearing about it. It's not like humanity is breaking down the doors to learn about TMS.

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/29/2010 10:55:45
Go to Top of Page

Forfeet

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  12:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom.

While I find this conversation between the two of you interesting, it seems to have gone off on a tangent a bit away from my original post. You've been on the boards here for more than little while. I know you've made some comments about your own arthritic issues in the past, although they do not seem to involve the feet, I'd be interested to hear any feedback you have regarding how you've dealt with determining where your arthritis ends and where TMS begins regarding their contribution to symptoms. Advice and feedback from others also welcome.
Go to Top of Page

heelsdown

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  12:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Forfeet,

Since I am a fellow foot-pain sufferer, I felt obliged to reply! Even thought I really don't know much about arthritis and hallux rididus in their relation to tms.

However, in response to your tendonosis question, I think this can DEFINATELY be tms. Tendonosis is what doctors call tendonitis when it becomes chronic. And what exactly is "chronic tendonitis?" Well, it is TMS! I have heard a lot of chronic plantar fasciitis cases being referred to as tendonosis. And usually they diagnose and describe this as a "thickening" of the tendon due to scar tissue. But really, why should this cause pain? It is just another natural abnormality (actually, not even abnormality. It is just a natural process) that should not cause pain, and a lot of people without pain probably have!

Hope this helps a little and hope you're doing well. Foot pain sucks.
Go to Top of Page

Forfeet

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  14:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heels,

Thanks for the great info. on tendonosis and the likelihood of it being a manifestation of TMS. I also believe that arthritis is often just a natural state of the body as it ages and doesn't necessarily have to result in pain or even severe restriction of activity. I'm sure many people with advanced osteoarthritis do not suffer pain and may not even be aware they have arthritis at all, if they never had tests performed. Good luck in your continued efforts to end your pain and pursue your passion.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  10:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forfeet

I'd be interested to hear any feedback you have regarding how you've dealt with determining where your arthritis ends and where TMS begins regarding their contribution to symptoms.

TMS is the volume control for the pain.

For specifics on my "arthritis" do a search here, putting in my name and "arthritis" and info will come up. Sorry I can't go into more detail at the moment, gotta' go play.

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/30/2010 12:44:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: