TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 sacroiliac joint please help!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

healingback

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  02:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello all you fellow tmsers... im prety new to this site and have been kinda lurking in the shadows.

let me tell you my story last year i had a car crash, not a mega serious one walked out unharmed apart from being shaken up and later to experience whiplash.

Within a week the whiplash had gone but id started getting really severe lower back pain, with all the nice back spasm etc that goes with it, i went to a variety of diffrent people over those following few months for the first 6 months i was told it was muscular and that it would heal.
I got to the point over the months were i was having trouble walking because of the pain, twenty mins and i was in agony, standing in one place was also a nightmare.

i eventually got told that i had sacroliac joint dysfunction, i was told that i have generalised hypermobility also which i never new i had, i was a personal trainer at the time and i just thought i was that bit more flexible than anyone else. i never experienced any pain from it.

aftare many osteopath, acupunture, physio appointments i started doing my research and found out about something called prolotherapy, tthis is where they injection the ligaments which have become slack around the joint so that it holds it in place. i have had success with this but instead of the joint now being loose it gets locked up alot... i know i cant win!!!

i feel im about 65% better but i feel very much that im a true candidate for tms... in the past ive suffered from crohns disease, many food intolarances, dry eyes, episcelritis, and recently rsi in my wrists, which the doctors are putting it down to the hypermobility.

my question is has anyone ever suffered from loose or sacroliac dyfunction and had it cured through working with there tms ?
is this sort of this that started from a car crash able to be tms ?
is it possible to have many tms symptoms all going on at once but still have the original pain your trying to get rid of ?

before the car crash i had a lot of stress going on i fell out with a dear friend, and i was pretty much pushed out of the job i loved.

id really apprieciate any advice from anyone im only 27 and my world has literally fallen apart and i want my life back.

i believe firmly in the mind body connection as i believe i cured myself of crohns through louise L hays work, ive been in remision for 13 years now, and i intend to stay that way.

anyone been through anything similar please.

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  12:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi HB, your situation sounds like classic TMS. If you read the TMS books you should find yourself in them everywhere.

I did a quick search of Prolotherapy, bottom line, it sounds like quackery. Google it and decide for yourself. In the US, the government and insurance will not pay for it because there is no scientific evidence that it works. The funny thing is they inject sugar water into the body--instead of a "sugar pill"--which has always been analogous to a placebo. Placebos work great, it's the mind tricking the body into healing itself. Dr. Sarno says surgery is the most powerful placebo we have.

The red flags in your story is that your auto accident was not major, you walked away and developed symptoms later. If you read the TMS books this is CLASSIC TMS. There's a chapter where Dr. Sarno mentions two countries that border each other, Finland and Lithuania. In Finland, "whip-lash" is covered and paid for by insurance. In Lithuania it's not--guess what?, in Lithuania "whip-lash" doesn't exist.

Your much later diagnosis with sacrum and hyper-mobility sound like doctor's fishing around for a problem because they can't find anything and they need to pin your pain on something structural. It's unfortunate that modern medicine treats the human body as if it were a car and ignores the significant role of the mind in the creation of dis-ease. Actually my mechanic gives my car more time and TLC than most doctors give their patients.

Keep reading the TMS books, watch the videos and listen to the Audiobooks. It's sounds like you are on your way to understanding what is going on with your symptoms.

Good luck!

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6415

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/28/2010 12:19:05
Go to Top of Page

jaya

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  12:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
people can feel how they want... crohns is TMS...no doubt in my mind just an extreme form doctors laugh when you tell them this view however anyone i know with crohns is a nervous person, perfectionist etc.. they all fit the tms category and have all had some form of catastrophic event before being diagnosed... remember there is only profit in treating the disease.. not curing it!
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Hi HB, your situation sounds like classic TMS. If you read the TMS books you should find yourself in them everywhere.

I did a quick search of Prolotherapy, bottom line, it sounds like quackery. Google it and decide for yourself. In the US, the government and insurance will not pay for it because there is no scientific evidence that it works. The funny thing is they inject sugar water into the body--instead of a "sugar pill"--which has always been analogous to a placebo. Placebos work great, it's the mind tricking the body into healing itself. Dr. Sarno says surgery is the most powerful placebo we have.

The red flags in your story is that your auto accident was not major, you walked away and developed symptoms later. If you read the TMS books this is CLASSIC TMS. There's a chapter where Dr. Sarno mentions two countries that border each other, Finland and Lithuania. In Finland, "whip-lash" is covered and paid for by insurance. In Lithuania it's not--guess what?, in Lithuania "whip-lash" doesn't exist.

Your much later diagnosis with sacrum and hyper-mobility sound like doctor's fishing around for a problem because they can't find anything and they need to pin your pain on something structural. It's unfortunate that modern medicine treats the human body as if it were a car and ignores the significant role of the mind in the creation of dis-ease. Actually my mechanic gives my car more time and TLC than most doctors give their patients.

Keep reading the TMS books, watch the videos and listen to the Audiobooks. It's sounds like you are on your way to understanding what is going on with your symptoms.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Forfeet

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  12:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Healingback,

I have not been dx'd with any specific syndrome but had chronic pain in the sacroliac region in my back for several months. Interestingly, I went to the chiropracter after a prolonged bout and the first thing he asked me was whether there were any significant stressors going on in my life. He also refers to pain there as a "toothache" of the back.

In any case, after reading Sarno's books and determining there was no serious structural issues, I started doing much more physical activity at my job-lifting, breaking down pallets, etc. and in a couple of weeks, the pain virtually disappeared. I occasionally feel a murmor of pain but don't pay much mind to it and it fades away.

And yes, one can have several TMS equivalent symptoms while dealing with your original pain. My primary pain problems are in my feet and the back stuff came up later while still dealing with the feet. I also had concurrent ringing in the ears, pressure behind the eyes, frozen shoulder, IBS. These have all gone away since reading Sarno's books but when symptoms occur I pay attention to the mental/emotional. I know for sure that IBS for me is directly related to the active stress I'm feeling. Hope this helps.

Edited by - Forfeet on 10/28/2010 12:42:06
Go to Top of Page

healingback

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  23:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey tennis tom, forfeet and jaya.. thanks for your replies...
With regards to the prolotherapy it has helped a lot. And back when I started it I literally couldn't stand and was told I would of been in a wheelchair before long,,, I think to be honest even if id known about dr sarnos work then I was so low and desperate that I wouldn't of been open to the ideas, so placibo or not its pulled me out of the pain enough to look into diffrent options.

I am trying my best to focus on my emotional side. .. I've been journally alot but if I'm honest I know that subconsciously or maybe even consciously I'm always thinking about my back. How it feels when I wake up. .. seems to be worse at weekends and I think this is because I always want to be "well" and able to do things and even arranging to go shopping I only tend to go with my bf cost he knows I have to sit down regularly cost of the pain.... I almost plan that I'm going to have pain before we've even left for the shops.

I do believe I have built up a fear of walking and general exercise because before I had a diagnosis if I did try and go to the gym I'd have days of pain and back spasms afterwards. ... I used to be a personal trainer. .. who was gym obsessed so can't tell you how angry this makes me.

With regards to the crohns I do believe that's alot to do with he mind. . And as you said Jaya... is usually set off by a big emotional trauma. .. mine came on after my brother died when I was 14... following my dad getting multiple scelorosis. ... hows that for trauma. ... I would say internally I'm a nervous person but to other people they wouldn't see that side of me.

I will keep reading the books... and trying to focus on the emotional. .. I'm very much an all or nothing person. . And I feel if I can't give it 100% I usually don't bother. .. I know ridiculous right? !

Keep the replies coming please.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  23:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by healingback

I will keep reading the books... and trying to focus on the emotional. .. I'm very much an all or nothing person. . And I feel if I can't give it 100% I usually don't bother. .. I know ridiculous right? !

Keep the replies coming please.

That's a good start.

TMS work requires focusing on the emotional.

The "all or nothing" and the "100%" approach are hall-marks of the TMS perfectionist personality.

You sound like you are in a big hurry to be "cured". Understand that the TMS "knowledge penicillin cure" requires a changing of your mind. Your mind processes that brought about your psychosomatic pain did not develop overnight and it may take a little time to reverse your thought patterns. It's up to how well you accept the Good Doctor's theory.

I would suggest checking the link below to the Rahe-Holmes list of life stressors to identify which ones have caused your TMS pain. It will give you living proof of the direct corolation between psychosomatic/TMS pain and emotional stress.

Good luck!

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/28/2010 23:58:17
Go to Top of Page

Carole

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  07:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Healingback-

Our stories are strikingly similar.
Car wreck...sacroiliac joint dysfunction...“prolotherapy”.
The prolotherapy is what made me pull Sarno's book off the shelf and start recovering.
You can read my story at this link-- skip down to the Long Version.
Hope it helps and give me a shout if you need encouragement.

http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/account/Rinkey

Carole aka Rinkey
Go to Top of Page

healingback

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  08:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi carole. .. thanks for your post. .. I'm desperate to hear from people who have gone through the same as me. .. when you say you had sacroiliac joint dysfunction were you told that it was that the joint was to loose and wouldn't stay in place? I'm guessing it was the loose side of things as that's all prolotherapy would of helped with. I'm guessing you didn't go through with the prolotherapy in the end? This afternoon while walking my dog and started journalling out loud. .. I'm not crazy I made sure no one else was around first lol. .. there were two main issues that came to light a month before my crash so started voicing my opinions and how I felt about those. .. my back started to feel better but after I stopped the pain instead seemed to traveling all the way up my back. .. is this sort of thing normal when your trying to break the cycle? How did you get past the pain when walking? I'd love to know How you did it
Hb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000