TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Migraine History
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nibor2

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to this forum. I've suffered mild-to-severe headaches for the past dozen years. I have seen several doctors and a neurologist in the past with no clear diagnosis other than "migraine". The pain comes on usually in the early morning hours or sometimes in the afternoons and generally affects the right temple, sometimes left. A migraine will last about 24 hours if I do not medicate. Eight years ago I learned about trigger foods and began restricting my diet, which didn't seem to help much. I do not consume alcohol as that is a definite trigger. Recently I gave up all caffeine as well.

In August 2010 I learned about Dr. Sarno. I read his book "The Mind-Body Prescription" twice. I watched his seminar video twice. I read his book "The Divided Mind" once. I believe completely that the headaches are a TMS equivalent. I have known myself to be a perfectionist for many years, a "people-pleaser" type of person. This has my unconscious mind very pissed off, I'm sure.

Since August I have re-introduced many of the trigger foods that were eliminated several years ago, and I am enjoying this immensely! Although I still get headaches two or three times a month (and still medicate when necessary), I've begun to notice a pattern emerging. It seems that when I'm in "headache mode" I am unable to show much emotion---to cry, basically. This is another reason I am convinced of TMS being at work here. Also, there is a significant other in my life and when he and I have a day of no communication (he lives in another city) I seem to get a headache. This might be a “soothe factor” in effect that Dr. Sarno talks briefly about in “The Mind-Body Prescription”.

I’m using Dr. Sarno’s worksheet now and writing things down that might be putting my unconscious mind in a rage, including childhood experiences. I’m pretty sure I’d rather have the emotional upheaval than the pain, but I don’t know that this is even necessary. I’ve had success in that the headaches seem less frequent than before my discovery of The Mind-Body Prescription.

I will keep working at this because I am determined to end the needless suffering that has been going on far too long. It would be great to hear from fellow sufferers and to learn what methods you are using.

Thanks for listening.

Robin

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job Nibor! You're understanding this TMS thing very well. Did you know that migraines were Dr. Sarno's own TMS symptom when he was an intern that triggered his discovery of TMS theory?

Good you can start enjoying life enjoying foods that quack science has persuaded people to stop eating and maybe you will be able to enjoy booze again too.

I would only advise to be patient. It has taken your subconscious many years to develop the wrongful thought patterns that morph into bodily TMS symptoms to distract from emotions. It may take a little time to recondition your mindbody on a cellular level to reprogram.

It is very empowering to be able to stop the pain in it's tracks. TMS "penicillin knowledge" allows us to analyze the emotional situation that is triggering pain and be able to fix or accept the situation.

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6415

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
Go to Top of Page

Nibor2

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  19:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your encouragement and also for the links. I will devour them!
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  10:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not been able to lessen my migraines. 3 or 4 a month for years now. My hat's off to you Nibor for having such good success. Perhaps the problem is I remain skeptical that mine are psychosomatic (I've had trouble processing sugar....including sucrose....for decades. One too any pieces of fruit and a migraine ensues.

So it's good to see someone having success, Very encouraging. Thanks for posting.
Go to Top of Page

Nibor2

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  14:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art,

I'm sorry to hear of your history with migraines. Sugar has been a problem for me as well, but I've been on a new diet that includes very little of that. However, with the fruit I have not limited myself and don't seem to have a problem. Migraines are a bummer! I've read somewhere, either here or on TMSwiki, that we can tell our brains to go ahead and get blood circulation going to our heads; I've been trying this lately and it seems to work!

My other problem that I suspect might be a TMS equivalent is that I've always had cold hands and feet. I've now started talking to my brain using this same approach: "Get the blood going to those areas, Brain, so that they can warm up, please!" Not working so much yet but time will tell.

--Robin
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  15:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Nibor2 - great to read of your success so far.

art, I'm sure you can do it, too. I used to think certain foods caused eczema / skin rashes, but I've got over that now. It's great to be able to eat those foods I love again! Cheese, fruit, yum!

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Nibor2

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  19:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hilary. I'm thinking just about any condition that cannot be easily diagnosed is TMS or equivalent. This thing is out of control, and I'd be very interested in helping get the word out (i.e., conference) if there is anything in the planning stages.
--robin
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  06:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had extensive food intolerances for years. I could eat nothing but low caloric foods...vegatables mostly. I couldn't eat enough to sustain me and I got sicker and sicker. There came a point I thought I wouldn't live much longer. After a two week fast (nothing but water) the food intolerances went away....all except the sugar stuff.

The TMS approach has not worked for me in this area.

Edited by - art on 01/10/2011 06:38:57
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  14:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
art,

I'm sorry about that, because 3-4 times a month seems pretty disruptive.

Robin,

If you'd like to contribute to the wiki:
www.tmswiki.org
you'd be welcome.

There's a page on promoting awareness:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Promoting+TMS+Awareness

For example, if you'd like to write to your Health Insurance company and would like to share your letter (without personal details) for others to use, that would be useful. Let me know if you want any technical help on the wiki.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Nibor2

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh... I've had two back-to-back days of serious migraine pain. Not sure what was causing these, but the pain started on Sunday morning with the left side which is very unusual for me. I medicated after about 11 hours of increasing pain. I was fine most of the day yesterday, then last night upon retiring it started on the right side. I suffered through the night, and then medicated early this morning. I'm fine now, but of course discouraged. I don't know what unconscious rage I might be suffering, but it's brutal and I don't like it. Relapse? Any help is so appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  15:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sense is that migraines are quite complex compared to say back pain with respect to the TMS approach. One could say, since it's the brain itself, it's where mind meets body meets mind again. Of course, such distinctions are in the end not very practical, or helpful.

If you accept that migraine's are caused by neurological processes (and the medications that are now used to pretty good effect would argue they are), then stopping them without drugs would call for some pretty heavy duty mentation (thinking.) I'm certain it's possible to do in the way some are able to lower their blood pressure or heart rate by means of a certain mindset, or meditation, but it's not easy.

That said, I'm sure some have had success with migraines on this forum. So that shows you how much I know :>)

Edited by - art on 01/14/2011 06:10:20
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  16:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that, Robin. It can happen, and recovery is never in a straight line. We can't always find the direct cause of the pain, as in what particular event has caused it, and Sarno says you don't need to.

I've had an idea, though - maybe it's because you volunteered to help out and your Inner Child is angry ;-)

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Nibor2

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  08:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Hilary, very good analysis of the situation! I'm sure my inner child was pissed off when the first one started this week (Sunday). I'm a church pianist and just before the service started was when the pain started. I have a perfectionist expectation of myself when it comes to piano performance.

Also I am contemplating and taking steps (job and apartment search) for moving to another city. This has got me somewhat terrified, I think.

So it stands to reason that I had three major headache events this week. My next course of study, I think, will be Schubiner's "Unlearn Your Pain".

Art, I am determined to make this work with the TMS path. Although I agree that the brain is almost too closely connected with headache pain. However, I believe those two things are indeed separate and that our logic can prevail!

--Robin
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  11:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best wishes Nibor (must be backwards for Robin?). Please keep us posted. My migraines can also, to a certain extent, be connected with stress, but it doesn't take much. Even a quick flash of worry can get one started.

I pretty much live with headaches of one sort or another. Hardly a day goes by without one. I've learned to ignore them for the most part, even the migraines. Only rarely do I have to take to my bed, shut out the lights etc...I'm fortunate in that while I get all the classic visual disturbances, the ensuing headaches are generally not paralyzing. But I get two kinds of migraines, the second one feeling like a sinus headache but which I've learned are actually migraines. No visuals, but they can be pretty rough sledding.
Go to Top of Page

Nibor2

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  16:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just had a long series of headaches. Not sure I can distinguish one kind from another, Art. They don't put me out but my attitude can change, especially as to my power of concentration, when I'm suffering the pain. I am medicating with each one, and it's bothering me a lot. Stress is the cause, I'm quite sure, as I've just come off of three days living with and working with my out-of-town clients which pushes me to my sanity limit.

Also, I'm preparing to move to a city 150 miles away from my current home town. Looking for a new job and new place to live has me worrying a lot, but I'm sure it will be fine in the end. I'm not looking forward to the boxing up of items and moving of furniture and all, especially the piano.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000