TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hillbilly - Words and actions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  14:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is when you go back to doing activities such as the ones you describe, it is probably gone about with a sense of fighting the symptom while trying to do the activity normally. I have come to see this is a major mistake. What needs to be done is to coerce the body back to normal WITHOUT a sense of fight. It is sometimes hard to see the fight and also hard to attempt to do it in the manner I describe as it is probably very normal for most people who have tms to have some sense of fighting their symptoms when doing activity.

Another point is if you are already in pain, to try and do further extreme activity at that point is the wrong thing. I think you need to find what caused you to be in pain in the first place and work on deconditioning yourself to these things while gradually increasing your activity as your body will allow without any challenge or focus on the affected body part. I hope this helps.

Edited by - Ace1 on 04/21/2014 15:03:34
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  15:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RW, since it's been a while TMS reared it's ugly gremlin head in your life, all you may need now is a TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN BOOSTER. I would recommend you read Steven Ray Ozanich's inspiring new TMS book "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION". It's a TMS literary masterpiece that could serve as an applied psychology textbook of psychosomatic medicine. SteveO's done his homework on this Michneresque tome, journaling his own passage through TMS pain hell. His book is recommended by the Good Doctor himself, John Sarno M.D. Ozanich has personally contacted most of the TMS experts first hand like Dr. Marc Sopher.

You may also want to copy your post over to the TMS Wiki earmarking it to SteveO's attention. He contributes there regularly and may well reply to your question regarding how to return to exercise. It's something he battled and won. As well as a TMS authority, he's been a personal trainer and yoga teacher, so he understands the needs of athlete's.

As always, I recommend you look at the Rahe-Holmes list of TMS causing emotional life events that can trigger stress dis-ease. Pay particular attention to what stressful events you've experienced in the past year especially. I'll add my signature below with TMS resources and a link to the R-H list.

Anything that forces us out of our homeostasis (comfort zone) can precipitate TMS symptoms--these can be events that would be viewed as POSITIVE as well as negative. Conditioning to reach a higher fitness level can cause good stress, as you are probably aware of. I find it takes me about two weeks to adjust to physical changes becoming part of my new homeostasis and autonomic nervous sytem.

G'luck on your next chapter in your TMS adventrues,
tt

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 04/22/2014 07:41:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page