TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Ace of the Day - Day 17
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  02:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
17. You can put your mind's eye on (observe) the strain and at the same time use an affirmation of calmness and relaxation. Somehow putting your full observation on the strain brings it to the light and allows your body to relax, especially if done with affirmations.

You may have to stop and pause for a second from whatever it is you are doing to look and see in the big picture how hyped up (strained) you are, which then helps you to relax it.

When observing the strain, see what quality there is to the hyped-up feeling and where is it focused (outside of the symptomatic area). Keep your attention on this and with time and practice you will be able to watch it dissipate as you say the affirmations of directed relaxation in the background.

One can also in general observe their symptoms as long as they don't strain in to them more.

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  05:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Ace)- You can put your mind's eye on (observe) the strain and at the same time use an affirmation of calmness and relaxation. Somehow putting your full observation on the strain brings it to the light and allows your body to relax, especially if done with affirmations.

eric)-this is how we do emotional freedom therapy and it does work fine-backed up by science in the east anyway-it works and thats all that matters-self explanatory,good stuff.

(Ace)- You may have to stop and pause for a second from whatever it is you are doing to look and see in the big picture how hyped up (strained) you are, which then helps you to relax it.

Eric)- i do this till this day all the time-im still breaking the conditioning of tenseness and sensitization.And i will continue

Ace)- When observing the strain, see what quality there is to the hyped-up feeling and where is it focused (outside of the symptomatic area). Keep your attention on this and with time and practice you will be able to watch it dissipate as you say the affirmations of directed relaxation in the background.

Eric)- yes-my focus was always on the future,past,stressors -you name it-i was tensed to it-i had to learn to reverse this by using awareness to catch myself thinking about what i was thinking about and it has helped tons.

Ace)- One can also in general observe their symptoms as long as they don't strain in to them more.

Eric)- by observing without the strain-i learned how to calm doun and get my mind on what i really need to take care of now-and also i learned that this tenseness was looking for a way to compell me forward away from my stagnation-now these situations help me be more efficiant with my studys-my homelife and health.i listen more to my wife and when my son wants to talk i listen more there to-it makes giving an ear a whole new meaning.
thanks plum and ace

Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  08:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Plum. I really like how you are spotlighting one key each day... Today this one really resonates for me... There is just one part I am not clear what it means:

quote:
When observing the strain, see what quality there is to the hyped-up feeling and where is it focused (outside of the symptomatic area).

I don't really understand what it means "outside of the symptomatic area" ?? Where I don't have symptoms, I don't feel very hyped-up anyway ?? So I don't need anything to dissipate there??

I really like this part:

quote:
You may have to stop and pause for a second from whatever it is you are doing to look and see in the big picture how hyped up (strained) you are, which then helps you to relax it.

This morning I got an image of looking DOWN at myself (say, if I was a bird overhead) and then seeing myself more clearly, and seeing from a "bigger picture" outside myself, how strained I am, inside. I think that really does help me relax a bit.

I am more familiar with trying to relax my physical strain, and much less familiar/ confident about relaxing my MENTAL strain. If anyone has any hints/ tips about the nuances of doing that, I'd sure be interested in hearing them!

RSR
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  19:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rsr,
You have to remember that it is very hard to explain a mental process, so I will try to do my best. What I mean outside the symptomatic area, when you are over all strained, it some how feels like a lifted up, hyped up feeling. Sometime when you observe this the majority of this feeling is somewhere else besides the symptomatic area, like in the chest area. The best analogy I can give you is- are you aware of those squishy balls that if you squeeze them, they deform and pop out of the area of least resistance? With these balls, when you stop squeezing tem, they return back into a ball shape as if nothing happened. The squeezing of the ball is the cause and the deformation is the effect. If you try to push the popped out area back in place while the ball is still being squeezed, it would never work. I want you to observe the squeeze(the cause) and its focus and quality as opposed to that of the bulge. I hope this makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  19:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Ace1 !! GREAT analogy !! YES, I think I get it now !! I can most easily understand this in terms of my tongue "issues" (was dx'd w/ Burning Tongue Syndrome but always just considered it TMS.) I don't fear it, doesn't really bother me most of the time, more like an annoyance, but I definitely connect it to my chronic "strain." I could understand right away what you meant by "the bulge" ... the "bulge" is the tongue being so tense, (but it's the "squeeze" causing that bulge... THANKS for taking the time to explain !! (I *think* I am understanding you correctly!) - RSR
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  04:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great I'm glad it makes sense. One more point I forgot to mention is the mental strain that leads to that overall strain is some sort of extreme urge that you have done so much that your not aware of it anymore. Ie like the urge to be faster than you currently are. There is no physical aspect to that strain, it is all mental, then it translates to the analogy of the ball. The relieving of this mental strain is your primary focus, everything else is secondary and are just helpful adjuncts to this, including this key.

Edited by - Ace1 on 02/08/2013 04:16:40
Go to Top of Page

Sylvia

199 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  05:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Rsr,
You have to remember that it is very hard to explain a mental process, so I will try to do my best. What I mean outside the symptomatic area, when you are over all strained, it some how feels like a lifted up, hyped up feeling. Sometime when you observe this the majority of this feeling is somewhere else besides the symptomatic area, like in the chest area. The best analogy I can give you is- are you aware of those squishy balls that if you squeeze them, they deform and pop out of the area of least resistance? With these balls, when you stop squeezing tem, they return back into a ball shape as if nothing happened. The squeezing of the ball is the cause and the deformation is the effect. If you try to push the popped out area back in place while the ball is still being squeezed, it would never work. I want you to observe the squeeze(the cause) and its focus and quality as opposed to that of the bulge. I hope this makes sense.

Ace, you might want to edit that little analogy into your keys, it is most excellent.

I need me one of these to look at to keep on my desk

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=pop+out+squeeze+toy
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  06:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Sylvia, I thought about it, Im trying to keep a good balance between making the list too long and putting good information on it. I will think about it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000